Gibson Brands Forums

Should Epiphone bring back its Fender type guitars?

All I want them to do is offer the longer scale neck.

it's a big factor in the sound of fender guitars, and you simply cannot duplicate it with tone woods or pickups or components.

and it's not really just a fender copy.. lots of guitars have longer scales.

Imagine a wildkat with a 25 1/2" scale for example.

Granted' date=' I may be the exception to the rule here, but I'd search out an Epi before a Squier. In fact, I've chucked a bid or two down on the Tele copies.[/quote']

The thing with Squier is you have to be careful as to which exact model you look at. For example, back in 2003, Squier brought out about nine or so Special Edition Strats, Teles and Stagemasters, of which one survived beyond the initial year. This was the Squier Standard Strat in cherry sunburst with mint green plastic parts. Unlike the usual Standard Strats which were made in Indonesia out of agathis, this model was made in China out of alder, and as such is very close to a genuine Strat. The Alnico pickups on these babies are surprisingly close in performance to those on a Highway One Strat. I managed to get one of the original ones with the 8-hole pickguard; later they switched to the standard 11-hole style.

stratUSpus.jpg

Again, these days they have some really nice 'premium' models including one in sonic blue that's to die for. I'm sorry, but the Epiphone S-guitars with their plywood bodies and goofy headstocks just can't compete with these.

All that being said, I agree that Epi should consider some long scale guitars; if they'd been thinking they would have put 25.5" scale necks on the entire Prophecy series.

Again' date=' these days they have some really nice 'premium' models including one in sonic blue that's to die for. I'm sorry, but the Epiphone S-guitars with their plywood bodies and goofy headstocks just can't compete with these.

All that being said, I agree that Epi should consider some long scale guitars; if they'd been thinking they would have put 25.5" scale necks on the entire Prophecy series.[/quote']

I agree completely. Over all quality is pretty consistent for the market they target with the different models/lines. As i said earlier, the "Master Series" are quite nice, IMHO !

Archived