Gibson Brands Forums

Crate V-Series- 1 channel 33W 2x12 or 2 channel 50w 1x12?

Well basically, the title says it all..

I'm stuck.

Been looking at these amps for a while, and I don't know what to do.

On the one hand, the 50 is 50 bucks cheaper, but on the other, I am partial to 2x12 amps...

This being my first tube amp, I would LOVE the best value possible, here. I need something loud enough to play with a band dirty AND clean... headroom is a must for me.

Also, the class A/ AB thing is huge... I always liked class AB amps; two channels just seems easier...

Really, the only thing that makes me feel really stuck is the fact that the 33 is a 2X12... the 50 is cheaper, but they are both right in my budget... the 50 has more of what I want, but I'm stuck on whether I need a 2x12 or not.

Basically, what I'm asking is...

Is a 2x12 worth it?

PS. Just realizing how drawn out that was... Sorry:P

Can you set it up to do a A/B between the 1x12 and the 2x12? If you can (and even if you can't) the difference is bigger than it might seem. Its not really LOUDER, its cleaner, crisper, better transients, less muddy, more articulate...

Well, you get my drift! Also, you can mix and match, picking up some of each speakers characteristics. My favorite setup right now is a 2x12 Eminence Cannabis Rex/Lady Luck with a 1x12 extension cab running a Celestion Goldback on top. Smooth, gritty and clean on tap any time I want. BTW, both the Blackheart and the VJH are more than powerful enough to need an attenuator to run at anything at or above 10 o'clock on the volume, but may not be quite enough for a gig (I don't think they will keep up with a 100w Marshall stack, for instance -- but they are easily as loud as any SS amp up to probably 25-30w rating).

Have you considered buying the 1x12, and adding an extension cabinet sometime later if you need it?

Have you considered buying the 1x12' date=' and adding an extension cabinet sometime later if you need it?[/quote']

Gary beat me to it. You also mention that headroom is a must for you so again I would go with the 50 watt over the 30 watt just for the clean headroom.

Well basically' date=' the title says it all..

Also, the class A/ AB thing is huge... I always liked class AB amps; two channels just seems easier...

Really, the only thing that makes me feel really stuck is the fact that the 33 is a 2X12... the 50 is cheaper, but they are both right in my budget... the 50 has more of what I want, but I'm stuck on whether I need a 2x12 or not.

Basically, what I'm asking is...

Is a 2x12 worth it? [/quote']

This is not the ideal forum for discussing amps...Epiphone do have a forum on this

subject, but since you asked..

Class AB have been around for a while in transistor amps. The twin tubes are just biased

beyond the crossover notch. Class B with the infamous crossover notch have been around longer than that.

The older Fenders were all class B push-pulls, I believe and biased so that the crossover notch was eliminated

without undesirable premature wear on the tubes. They are very expensive now to find used, being vintage

like everything else,suddenly they seem to be desirable..even running class B.

It boils down to the way the power pentodes (output tubes 6V6/6L6 or EL84) are

biased to eliminate crossover distortion on conduction.

I evaluated a Crate V33 and decided against it for the reason it only has one channel and

the power is barely 33 watts, although it does have a clean tube sound.

EDIT: The V33112 is what I evaluated. It's only got one channel + efx loop.

You don't necessarily need 2x12 in a small venue. I heard a Peavey Classic 30 with

a single 12 and Sheraton II in an outdoor gazebo that sounded pretty sweet and

loud enough to hear over the keyboards and bass.

My choice would be the F*nder Blues Deluxe (2 channels) matched GT6L6B Groove

Tubes, reverb, 40watts into 4/8 ohm + external speaker jack, if you need more coverage.

12 inch re-issue gold label Eminence spkr. Dual channels VINTAGE and DRIVE.

I suggest first trying them side my side and picking you favorite.

But let me give you my amp suggestion first, just to get it out of the way: Traynor. They are a little pricier, but they just sound so awesome, and every feature on it is usable. Fabulous tone. If you're interested, I highly recommend trying one out.

Back to the amps you mentioned:

The 33 watt 2x12, feature wise, looks very similar to the Vox AC30. About 30 watts, 2x12, 4 EL84's. This is probably more of the sound of a vox, in comparison.

The 50 watt 1x12 is most like a take on a fender, with it's 6L6GC's.

You could also consider the 18 watt 1x12, or 2x12. All of these amps are about the same volume, but the 50 will have the most headroom. the 2x12 will (probably) sound a bit better because of more moving air, but that's subjective.

Also in your price range are the Peavey Valve King 112. It's very similiar to the 50 watt crate. If you go used, your selection just explodes with possibilities.

You said that the 33watt was only 1 channel in the topic. I just checked and it's got 2 channels. So they both have 2 channels. You pretty much have to come down with a decision if you stick with those 2: 1x12 6L6, or 2x12 EL84.

Good luck!

I suggest first trying them side my side and picking you favorite.

You said that the 33watt was only 1 channel in the topic. I just checked and it's got 2 channels.

Good luck!

Perhaps he meant 1 input?.check out Crate's website and look at the owner manual, zoom in on the

controls and you will only see one input. The efx loop send/return-amp in might be considered

an input/second channel if you have a stomp board and plugging your guitar or perhaps a second

one in that way. The V33 I evaluated locally here had only 1 hi-z input as well.

Copper, with regards to Traynor, one of my all-time favourite amps has been the Traynor YCV Blue. My friend owns one and I absolutely love it. I suppose that's really what I want... I think I'm looking for cheaper alternatives...

But yeah, I was wrong about the 1-channel thing.. Thanks for the correction.

I suppose I'm either going to get the 50 and buy an extension later, or buy the Traynor... Same price-ish.... It's just that headroom is such a HUGE factor for me, cause I play a ton of clean stuff along with a ton of dirty stuff... I dunno, we will have to see where I'm at financially after the next month or so.

Too many things to buy, too little money... need a drum kit, computer, mics, mixer, PA, strat(well, thats just my GAS talking), and of course a new amp... I'm running a Traynor 30 w 1x12 solid state now, and I'm totally sick of it... It's not natural enough.. the distortion is too sharp(?) and grainy.

Anyways, I'll stop complaining...

I was looking at the Traynor a couple of years ago too, they have definitely gone up. It was between that and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I decided to go with the Hot Rod. It was a Limited Edition with a Celestion Vintage 30. The Vintage 30 was the reason I was looking at the Traynor as well. If you can sratch up enough coin, go for the Traynor, or maybe wait until you can.

Don't know if you are a pedal guy or not, I am. I run my amp clean and use pedals to get the overdrive I want, mainly because I use a volume pedal to get a violin type of effect sometimes. My Hot Rod is 40 watts, and it is plenty loud. We mic the amps but the sound guy has told me a few times he hasn't had to turn my amp up when soloing cause I was plenty loud on stage (I play in the worship band at church and the sanctuary seats about 600). The Traynor is will definitely be enough, unless you are playing a 2,000 seat auditorium.

Just on a side note, I tried out a Crate Palamino a few months back. I wasn't impressed with it. The clean channel sounded alright when I played clean, but when I kicked on my TS9 it souned terrible. Really harsh, definitely not to my liking. The pots were really scratchy also.

Have you tried them out or are you just thinking about the Crates because they are in your price range?

Soloty,

Keep saving for a while and buy the Traynor. Our lead guitarist is playing the 40 watts ( dark red ) and it sounds wonderful. As we play micked, he doesn't need 2X12. One 12 is good enough. Believe me, it's my next buy...I will get one pretty soon. I'm playing on a Marshall AVT50, that is not bad, but nothing to compare to the Traynor. Crate don't have good reviews on Harmony Central...have a look there...

I was looking at the Traynor a couple of years ago too' date='

Have you tried them out or are you just thinking about the Crates because they are in your price range? [/quote']

Same here. We don't have Traynors in Europe(I doubt anyone has even heard of them). So I went looking for a head on Canadian sites, but shipping was still too steep for my liking.

I never looked at Crates until recently, when I saw Billy Gibbons play a pile of V50s.

Archived