Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar solos you gave up on

tom nair

Guitar solos you gave up on?

I'll let you know after I develop some speed and technique. In truth' date=' I'm really a novice, but I have been practicing daily, including scales.

At 52 what are my chances?

[/quote']

I dunno but I'm going to be fifty four and I've been playing since 1965 and I'm still waiting for the speed and technique thing to happen for me ...it'll happen for you, just keep at it... or do what I did and become a bass player :)

...and Al's your uncle.

What's funny is that when it comes to leads, I basiclly am mentally challenged(with spelling too!). But, since I have never learned anything as far as notes or scales on guitar, when I'm jamming with people and whip out a cool rythm for them to put something with or come up with a catchy bass riff, they can't do anything with it because I don't know what scale I'm playing or what key or what ever to help them out....I just play and can't explain what I play. If I play from a recording that someone else has done, like HEndrix or JP or what ever I just play by ear and if it sounds good then it is. Like many people here have said, hardly anyone plays their own solo's the same way twice anyway.

Some solos are so "iconic" (a lot of the "Beatles" ones, for instance) they have to be right (or as near so, as possible),

other's are really open to inturpretation. And, quite often it seems, that the ones that sound simple, are more apt to

be the ones that will frustrate you, the most.

CB

Some solos are so "iconic" (a lot of the "Beatles" ones' date=' for instance) they have to be right (or as near so, as possible),

other's are really open to inturpretation. And, quite often it seems, that the ones that sound simple, are more apt to

CB[/quote']

That's how I feel about covers. Nothing's set in stone, but some covers have to be played as close to exact or it just butchers the tune.

Some solos are so "iconic" (a lot of the "Beatles" ones' date=' for instance) they have to be right (or as near so, as possible),

CB[/quote']

Yes. I am a rhythm guitarist. In our band the other guitar player does the main solo parts. He will solo around the basic ideas and they sound fine Hey Joe etc.

For songs in our set like Daytripper I do the riff and lead, and I play them like Harrison. You can't deviate too much or they sound wrong. I do better at the set solos and riffs I'm not too good at improvising. I do the into to Jenny, but my bandmate the solo.

Pretty much anything besides a riff or a set solo I gave up on. I'm sure if I could do some but I'm lazy I guess and so many other guitar players are naturals at playing by ear. I'm happy playing rhythm.

My bandmate is one of those guys who can't tell you what he is playing. When we learn new songs I have to tell the bass player what the changes are. Jeff can play the songs but once he gets past open chords he never knows the names of what he is doing. He knows what he's doing but can't tell you if that makes sense?

CB[/quote']

Ain't that the truth ! Simple does not always translate to easy IMHO at least for me. 2 that I always remember bugging me years ago when it was more important to me to get it right were Badfinger's "Baby Blue" and Grin's "Slippery Fingers". Thank God I don't worry about 'em anymore.

Yeah, and you never hear "Jazz" people worrying about playing the

same solo, night after night...or "just like the record!" As long as

they are true to the melody, and "feeling," most don't "sweat it!"

And, actually, to me...that's the best thing, about "live" performances..

the (good) unexpected things, that happen, or ways a song progresses.

Miles Davis (I know..."he's a trumpet player")...but, talk about minimilist, and "tasty!"

Most guitar players, IMHO, could take some notes, on that score. Anyway...

just a thought.

CB

Archived