Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid things I do when I play - STIDWIP

brad1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm right at home, with this bunch. Probably done most of what's been mentioned, as well.

The last really DUMB thing I did, was plug the pedal chain lead, in wrong. I was in a bit of a hurry,

and just reversed the cords. So, (of course) nothing was working...no sound, that is...lights and

pedals themselves were on, and seemed to be working, but I could get no sound.

Then...realized I had the guitar lead, in the amp input, and vica-versa! Boy, did I feel dumb, then. LOL!

CB

Setting up for a gig and rushing to get the PA put together, I grabbed two cords, rolled together, that connect the mxer to the amp and didn't unroll them. I plugged in one end to the mixer and the other to the amp and fired up the amp. No sound. A few minutes of troubleshooting and I discovered I had plugged the end of one into the mixer and the end of the other into the amp...DUH.

People always want to borrow my motorcycle and guitars. They get neither...EVER...

I don't generally let my guitars out of my sight. If I do, and it's highly unusual, the person has to be a friend who plays in my band and one who has no dings or scratches on his own guitar! Some people could tear up a concrete block. I'm very protective about my guitars.

pollymolly said:

I once killed a roach in a concert during a song.

I thought most musicians did that backstage before coming out to play ... or sometimes after the set. Although I've seen some reggae musicians kill an entire spliff --- roach and all --- during a song =D>

Glad to know that the day I do drool on my guitar, it won't be because of old age. lol. My stupid thing is fine-tweaking my amp during a song - going back and doing it some more - then finally cranking the knob only to discover I'm adjusting the wrong amp.

But the more frustrating thing is when I'm learning something and slowly going over the notes - get to a note that just doesn't sound right. hit again, wrong. then i move to a different fret - same note. duh, i'm hitting the wrong string. =D>

I got write a book ,about stupid stuff done in rush of things ....

One night out to listen to a band ,i`m sitting with friends drinking a beer.

When the band starts no mains ? One guy comes off stage and ask me

if i would take a look at there system.Got to laughing i go look everythings powered up ,except the EQ

for the mains .....opps .

Loaned a bass rig to the one band,Bass rig has a wireless unit

i get a call wireless don`t work ..i go out with a replacement one for them .

look at the rig ,got to laugh again,told the guy do you think if you put the

battery in it ,it just might work? Ya batteries not included .

Worst i think i`ve done ,bloke the standby switch after the first set..

fun night that was ,had to make a jumper wire .

that was a long break between sets

While adjusting the power mixer yesterday, I was setting the levels on microphones and tuning the EQ wondering why it's so hard to get a good tone for vocals out of it. I was of course adjusting the wrong channels, wrong level knobs and even monitored the wrong output which wasn't affected by any of the changes. While hopping around the mixer I also stepped on the mains switch for all of our gear a couple of times, powering the amps and everything else off.

Not the first time for all this to happen, and not the last time either.

I have one song where I start on piano, and then the piano fades out... there's a tempo/key change, and then I start playing guitar.

Of course, if you're sitting at the piano, for the debut of the song, and forget to plug in your guitar...

Lucky for me, a friend of mine was in the front row, and when I went into the second half with a confused look on my face, he shouted out "Your guitar's not plugged in!"

I also used my acoustic's onboard tuner one day with the capo, and wondered why I had it tuned three half-steps higher than it should have been...

My first live gig. I was 15 and playing with a borrowed Silvertone 4x12 amp I wasn't familiar with. The first song started and it came time for my lead. I started and suddenly (sound, no sound, sound, no sound). I looked around and the red light on the amp was going on and off. In panic, I looked around at the power plug and the bass player was tapping his foot on the cord to the amp, right next to the cheapo extension cord. "Get off my power cord, dude!"

I've had the same problem at times bro' date=' I get into it and tend to forget where I am at the time every now and then ! Glad to see you here, there are a couple of other members here that also play in Praise Teams .[/quote']

Yea I do that too....but I play for youth worship so its not so bad, youth worship seems a bit louder than sunday morning worship haha

I've done the tuning thing as well...I've finally learned that if it doesnt start changing pitch when you tune, check which string your tuning..

I've also tuned a guitar while i had a pick in my strings...Dont ask me how i didnt realise, all i know is that my guitar was really out of tune after I'd finished!

Also, when i had just bought my first effect pedal (cry-baby wah), i couldn't figure out which lead went where...I was completely confused, took me like half an hour to realise that it has 'amplifier' and 'instrument' written on the top above the appropriate input/output jack

Yea I do that too....but I play for youth worship so its not so bad' date=' youth worship seems a bit louder than sunday morning worship haha

[/quote']

Nice to see you back Mealz, I just figured you win the photo contest and then take off, LOL ! I play in an evening contemporary service so it's not at all like a morning service. Not hard rock by any means but fun. Guitar, bass, keys, drums, vocalists.

I did the tuning thing a few times but one time was the worst ever. anyone here have a floyd rose trim.? well I was putting new strings on and got it almost dialed in and wouldn't you know it I ended up cranking the low E when I meant to adjust the A. I believe the next word out of my mouth was "F%^&!!!"

Nice to see you back Mealz' date=' I just figured you win the photo contest and then take off, LOL ! [/quote']

HAHAHA...nooo! I've been reading stuff on this forum for years (well...since i got my epi, so 1 year)...just never bothered to post anything lol!

Morning service ain't that bad though...we have this one guy, he's an absolutely AMAZING guitarist, comes out with all these solo's in the morning service, it really adds some dynamic...although it's kinda distracting...

But yea I find even in more quiet songs that its nice just to do some clean stuff, just as satisfying as doing a solo in the loud/fast songs

HAHAHA...nooo! I've been reading stuff on this forum for years (well...since i got my epi' date=' so 1 year)...just never bothered to post anything lol!

Morning service ain't that bad though...we have this one guy, he's an absolutely AMAZING guitarist, comes out with all these solo's in the morning service, it really adds some dynamic...although it's kinda distracting...

But yea I find even in more quiet songs that its nice just to do some clean stuff, just as satisfying as doing a solo in the loud/fast songs[/quote']

Lots of people don't realize that church music has changed (if you attend the right service). I get a LOT of satisfaction playing in our 9:00 service. We serve donuts and coffee and play lots of blues and rock based music. I get to do a lot of Billy Gibbons style lead work and all the fills that I want to do. It was surprising to me to find out that I had fans in the congregation who were watching me and enjoying what I added to the music. Not to brag, just noting that it's fullfilling to have people enjoy what you do.

Most church music was written in the 1800-early 1900 period. Too many were march beats. Contemporary Christian is fresh and lots of fun to play. And, you don't have to be out until 3:00am to do it.

If you haven't been to church lately, find out who is doing this in your area and go for a visit. You'll be surprised at what you find. You just might want to go back. We have lots of people in our 9:00 service who wouldn't be in church if it weren't for the type of service we do. There might be some musicians who will surprise you (stepping off the soap box).

Back on the subject, at band practice the other night we went over a song in the key of B (the record is tuned down a half step). I started it in C and for some reason no one questioned it and played in C. When it came time for a little turnaround riff I played it in the B position where I always play it. It sounded so off the wall that everybody stopped and laughed so hard their faces turned red...mine, too, for a different reason. We hadn't played the song in a while. On the up side, I'll never do that again!! Way too embarrassing. The key of B is now ingrained in my brain...not C...B, dummy. Good thing it happened in practice and not in front of 250 people.

The 5er Driver said: I keep pulling the guitar cable out of the amp, no matter how long the cables are. Gotta go wireless!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do the same thing. If you get used to wireless and then use a cable around the house, you will step on the cable and get frustrated. I have used wireless so long that I forget to watch out for the cable when I use one. I'm sold on wireless.

IF you run the amp wire to the effects chain and then to the guitar, you have more wiggle room.

The tuning thing I do all the time.

The drooling bit, now and then.

I made this pedalboard, with 2 jacks, one for from the guitar and one for to the amp. I've plugged those in wrong a time or two. What makes it worse is that they are labeled.

Lots of people don't realize that church music has changed (if you attend the right service). I get a LOT of satisfaction playing in our 9:00 service. We serve donuts and coffee and play lots of blues and rock based music. I get to do a lot of Billy Gibbons style lead work and all the fills that I want to do. It was surprising to me to find out that I had fans in the congregation who were watching me and enjoying what I added to the music. Not to brag' date=' just noting that it's fullfilling to have people enjoy what you do.

Most church music was written in the 1800-early 1900 period. Too many were march beats. Contemporary Christian is fresh and lots of fun to play. And, you don't have to be out until 3:00am to do it.

If you haven't been to church lately, find out who is doing this in your area and go for a visit. You'll be surprised at what you find. You just might want to go back. We have lots of people in our 9:00 service who wouldn't be in church if it weren't for the type of service we do. There might be some musicians who will surprise you (stepping off the soap box).

Back on the subject, at band practice the other night we went over a song in the key of B (the record is tuned down a half step). I started it in C and for some reason no one questioned it and played in C. When it came time for a little turnaround riff I played it in the B position where I always play it. It sounded so off the wall that everybody stopped and laughed so hard their faces turned red...mine, too, for a different reason. We hadn't played the song in a while. On the up side, I'll never do that again!! Way too embarrassing. The key of B is now ingrained in my brain...not C...B, dummy. Good thing it happened in practice and not in front of 250 people.

[/quote']

HeHeHe yup been there.... done that.....play it once it's a mistake....twice it's Jazz!:-

Lots of people don't realize that church music has changed (if you attend the right service). I get a LOT of satisfaction playing in our 9:00 service. We serve donuts and coffee and play lots of blues and rock based music. I get to do a lot of Billy Gibbons style lead work and all the fills that I want to do. It was surprising to me to find out that I had fans in the congregation who were watching me and enjoying what I added to the music. Not to brag' date=' just noting that it's fullfilling to have people enjoy what you do.

[/quote']

I did that just last nice at our Saturday night service. I have the song on my computer in B and practice in that key. We do it in church in Bb. We didn't rehearse the song before service last night and the worship leader decided to do it. I played most of the solo in Bb, but because of habit and practicing it in B, I went in and out of Bb a couple of times. If he does it again this morning, I won't do it again.

It didn't sound like jazz to me. :-

Archived