Gibson Brands Forums

New Bird Pics

TheX

The Firebird VII that I got for such a great deal is almost done getting a face lift, here's the original form with old pups and gold stuff. I'm selling the gold hardware complete, pups, vibrola, bridge, tuners, 3-way...blah blah blah.

fbird.jpg

Now it has a new stop bar and chrome bridge with GFS Fat Mini Hums. I removed the vibrola and filled and painted the top. I added the Steinberger tuners from StewMac (love them BTW). Installing new pots and wires etc. this evening.

newbird1.jpg

newbird2.jpg

No Vibrola, I honestly hated that thing. I'll hear the pups for the first time tonight when I'm done soldering everything together. Get the setup done last night.

The poly finish was actually pretty easy to work with, just color matched some paint and then used a good lacquer clear coat and let it harden for days (lots) before polishing (wet sanding and rubbing it out).

What was wrong with the original stuff besides that you don't like the gold?

The vibrola just isn't my stlye and the pickups sounded too thin. I didn't like the tuners because they were on the bottom of the reverse headstock and too close together for the key shape.

The GFS mini's freakin scream. Just got it put back together and I'm off to play.

Yeah, I just bought one of these for a good price on Ebay, looks like new on the pics and claimed to be so. I'm sceptical about that vibrola too.

I'll see when I get it, if the vibrola is too annoying I'll sell it again and buy the similar V bird that they just have begun to make lately.

I like what you've done with that guitar. I've always liked the block inlays on a Custom, especially the first fret marker, but I've never liked the gold hardware. The nickle/chrome hardware looks much better (to me). Anyway- nice work, I'd like to hear that guitar in action.

Really looks good X, great job. I never like the gold on the VIIs or the TP, or the tuners. I would have made all the same changes. I'm a big FB fan and Johnny Winter fan. Had a Gibby FB V stilen way back and have wanted another one ever since. I'm waiting for Epi to release the VS V again or may pick up a VS studio when they release them later this month. Gotta admit though I like that red and chrome !

Yeah' date=' I just bought one of these for a good price on Ebay, looks like new on the pics and claimed to be so. I'm sceptical about that vibrola too.

I'll see when I get it, if the vibrola is too annoying I'll sell it again and buy the similar V bird that they just have begun to make lately. [/quote']

How much did you pay for it?

I paid 350 Euro with case, about $540, a good price in Europe in that condition. Took it on an early "Buy it now".

I know they can sometimes been found cheaper in America, but it's difficult to compare european and american prices nowadays due to the fact that Dollar has been diving a lot the last years.

I got it just an hour ago and I'm very amazed. It's in mint condition, an early one, made 1999 at Saein Korea I9910xxxx. Just that year Saein got an award from Gibson for its good quality. And it sure feels great at my first test...but it screams for new strings, these might be the originals :)

Yeah, I've been hunting some half a year for this.

"Saein was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999".

Only thing about replacing the tuners w/ those new tuners: is it leaves the screw holes from the old tuners. No biggy but i like to keep my stuff as org. as possible w/ out signs of modification, but thats just me :-s

Only thing about replacing the tuners w/ those new tuners: is it leaves the screw holes from the old tuners. No biggy but i like to keep my stuff as org. as possible w/ out signs of modification' date=' but thats just me :-s [/quote']

You should have seen the holes that the Vibrola left on the front of the guitar, and now you can't tell it was ever there. Filling holes and fixing the finish is easy to do, and there are no signs of modification. Besides, is it really modded if you don't finish the job? Just a thought.

Sounds like you did a class A job. and looks awesome=d> Just an aside you might want to keep the org. parts.I know selling them will bring you some cash, but i have kicked myself for selling the org. parts. Cheers!

Sounds like you did a class A job. and looks awesome=d> Just an aside you might want to keep the org. parts.I know selling them will bring you some cash' date=' but i have kicked myself for selling the org. parts. Cheers![/quote']

Honestly...original parts on a copy Epi are not a big deal.....the replacements and a guitar that intonates,sounds good and stays in tune are way more valuable IMHO!

Archived