Gibson Brands Forums

How do I "lock" the strings?

natedagw821

Hows it goin guys?

I just bought an epiphone les paul standard about 2 weeks ago, but I am having some problems with it staying in tune. While browsing youtube I came across a video showing how to lock the strings when you restring your guitar. Well, I followed the method to a T, but one week later, my guitar is still not staying in tune. The 6th, 5th and 4th strings are staying in tune, but the 3rd, 2nd and 1st keep going out of tune whenever I do a bend or a screaming solo.

What am I doing wrong? I'd love to play for an hour and have the thing NOT go out of tune. If you could hook me up with a tutuorial or something I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nathan

Probably the strings. Sometimes you get a set that keep st-r-e-tch-ing and stretching.

You could pre-stretch, but better to have a tuner if you are going to do that, since

cranking the high e too much at once, will cause it to snap at some point.

Bending definitely causes them to stretch a bit. You could try a replacing the first

three with a better brand and perhaps move up 1 increment on the guage..but

it depends on how much bending you like to do.

Stretching has a new meaning when your're dealing with new nylon strings.

I'm constantly tuning those for about a week, until they settle down.

Buy sperzel locking tuners for $50

StewMac sent me something nice for trem arms...

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0061_tremsetup.hzml?jrl=407646&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ts0061&clk=193620

Looks like they want you to wind the first wind over, then the rest under to pull the strings tight.

Edit: My variation on this is first goes over, second under, then bend the end of the string down (over the winding under) and give the rest of the windings over top that. Haven't had to use this on non-locking tuners without a locking nut yet though...

Just thought I'd say' date=' the strings I'm using are ernie ball "Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom."[/quote']

That's interesting!

I tried a set of E.B. super slinkies...wouldn't stay in tune on my Epi LP Custom..gave up on those.

Now using E.B slinkies and they are just settling down..taken about 2 weeks.

Don't have nearly that kind of problem with the D'Addarios...I keep several 1st/2nds around as they do wear out

faster than the others. Depends on how much bending you do as well. There is something to be said about

the better quality strings..better steel..it's like buying cheap carving knifes that won't hold an edge...the steel

is just not the best.

As far as tuners..I'm pretty much "old school"..Grovers and Klusons. There is a "half hitch" string wind around the

posts, where you fold the unwound steel string (end) under the string and pull it up. As you tighten, the wind "locks" around

the loose end..and it won't slip on you. Disadvantage is that if you need to loosen the string for some reason, there

isn't enough end left to re-tighten it again...one use only.

All these 'over and under', 'twist and shout'. 'tie me kangaroo down' methods of stringing are a waste of time. Just make sure you have a good two turns of string around the post before threading the hole and they will not slip. If you are having problems staying in tune it's more likely you need to look at the nut and the bridge. With STHBs you may be sticking in the nut slots; also the bridge saddles with their deep 'V' notches can hang up the strings as well. Best solution on the bridge saddles is to file them down flat and then make a small rounded notch, just deep enough to keep the string in place. Take a look at the bridge saddles on a Gibson guitar somewhere to get an idea of what you want the finished product to look like.

Since it's the plain strings that are giving you problems I'd go with what the others have said.. they're probably still settling in and the problem should take care of itself... although two weeks seems like a long time to be stretching in.

Try a different brand too. I use DR's and they tune in less than 1 hour, if that.

I would also stretch the string too, but as noted previously, use a tuner.

I agree, the "Type" of strings that you have are most likely binding up on the nut or bridge.

IMO, unless your doing some "Drop tuneing" on this ax, use regular strings. .010 shoild work fine. It sounds like the heavier wound strings are binding up

I use DR's and they tune in less than 1 hour' date=' if that.[/quote']

Bought my 1st DRs - Pure Blues nickel 11-50 recently (I'm trying some select brands other than Ernie Ball for the frst time in about 12 years) on my EPI LP and noticed also how fast they tune in. On the wound 3 that may be due to the pre-tension method DR claims to use when winding. But on the 3 plain (which also tuned in quicker) maybe it's just better steel?

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

RotcanX is right. 2 wraps above the hole and then 2 or 3 under the hole will lock in the string so that it doesn't slip. There will be stretch-in on any string you buy, but it can be stabilized by doing some serious bends on all strings and then re-tuning. I used to aggressively pull the strings, but I've found that excessive pulling can kill the string life. It's always a good idea to have a silent tuner in-line so that you can touch it up on stage.

I used to change strings after the equipment was set up. I've found that it's better to change the strings the night before a gig and let them sit at tune overnight. A lot of the stretch will occur without yanking on the strings. A little playing and re-tuning and you are good. The strings last longer if you do that.

Also,

I don't know what part of the world your in but here in Oregon, we're finally getting some warmer days.

This time of year as well as the fall, we get some crazy temperature changes through out the day, yes swings as much as 40F between the highs/lows. Why yesterday we had a low of 59F and a High of 101F (according to the ambient temp gauge equipped in my vehicle. YES IT WAS SCREAMNG HOT!!! And this time of year I turn off the furnace and open all the windows....blah blah blah.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm not keeping a constant temperature in my home as I would in the winter time. Steel expands and contracts, stretching in the process just that tiny bit more to really put a guitar out of tune. On that note,I'm finding my guitars are out of tune a lot the last few days. And as we slide into summer, the steel will relax on the strings hence going flat and out of tune.

Where-as in the winter (more consistent house temps) I can go days/week without worrying about tuning.

And I mainly use D'Add strings on both my electrics and acoustics and I don't typically have problems keeping in tune with them. AND my last point.. I do "Pre-Stretch them" when I change strings.

1. String em up.

2. Tune em up.

3. Hold or Capo the first Fret, Stretch at 12th fret.

4. Tune em up again, (they're usually about a half step FLAT)

5. Rinse and Repeat (usually once and I'm golden).

Just some more thoughts.........

I agree with Dagwood and Rotcan, I used to play alot of acoustic and I learned that keeping the proper temp and humidity levels made life much easier. I never used the "proper" string wrap technique because I never had any trouble. The only time I have trouble staying in tune is when I go to band practice in my friends cooler basement, so to remedy that situation I just set my guitar in my basement about an hour before I leave, when i get to practice I tune and I'm good to go. Just my 2 pennies.

Archived