Gibson Brands Forums

sooner or later you gotta plug it in...

TWANG

Very funny bunch of JACKASSES!

*G*

Yep, it's an epi vj. I replaced the original cheapo board with a nice turret board.

It'll have standby, NFB on a three way, gain, tone, volume, efx loop, back panel fuse.

Weber OT, JJ EL84, NOS 5751.

the stock pcbs in those things eventually fall apart. I think it's likely due to my efforts!

Things I have done that I will confess to:

swelled a cap.

if it had been on just a few seconds longer.. the elec. builds up, more than cap can handle and kablooey! they explode.

which would have been in my face since it was on the bench.

made a resistor turn bright red.

it was blue to start with. that's how much heat I put on it.

ah, shorts. they aren't just for summer!

I'll get right on that flux capacitor.

and my camera date is off.. those were from yesterday.

I just sold my first VJ build for a customer and I'm happy to say we're both happy.

I did a little combo for the guy and he's been really great about it via email.

I haven't decided yet what to put this in.. combo or head. But it's gonna be killer.

Very funny bunch of JACKASSES!

*G*

Yep' date=' it's an epi vj. I replaced the original cheapo board with a nice turret board.

It'll have standby, NFB on a three way, gain, tone, volume, efx loop, back panel fuse.

Weber OT, JJ EL84, NOS 5751.

the stock pcbs in those things eventually fall apart. I think it's likely due to my efforts!

Things I have done that I will confess to:

swelled a cap.

if it had been on just a few seconds longer.. the elec. builds up, more than cap can handle and kablooey! they explode.

which would have been in my face since it was on the bench.

made a resistor turn bright red.

it was blue to start with. that's how much heat I put on it.

ah, shorts. they aren't just for summer!

I'll get right on that flux capacitor.

and my camera date is off.. those were from yesterday.

I just sold my first VJ build for a customer and I'm happy to say we're both happy.

I did a little combo for the guy and he's been really great about it via email.

I haven't decided yet what to put this in.. combo or head. But it's gonna be killer.

[/quote']

I would probably say a combo. Did you say it has a speaker out ? I don't remember. At least that gives one the option as opposed to having to have a cabinet available in all situations. Nice mods Twang !

blues.. good! hope you like it.

yah it has three output jacks.. and I'm thinking combo, too.

when you plug the combo in with another speaker.. a 12" it really comes to life.. but having that 8" speaker for toting around is handy as heck.

note: don't plug both your speakers in unless you know how..vj users.

I hope I can get it done today..

blues.. good! hope you like it.

yah it has three output jacks.. and I'm thinking combo' date=' too.

when you plug the combo in with another speaker.. a 12" it really comes to life.. but having that 8" speaker for toting around is handy as heck.

note: don't plug both your speakers in unless you know how..vj users.

I hope I can get it done today..

[/quote']

I haven't compared it to the nut on the Sherry as yet, did you have to do any sizing on your Sherry ?

My thoughts exactly in terms of the combo, much easier to tote !

Well Twang I have a few concerns looking at your board so far....I would put c-11 on top....the whole point of a turretboard is so you can have access to parts on top! Also I don't see an r-11? Is it between the filter caps? I would also twist the heater wires runing between the tubes for noise cancellation. Also you'll need to run a ground from your input jack to the front star ground if thats a cliff jack. Also you have CC resisrors in r-3 and r-4 and the only place you want one is r-4 and the one you have is way too big to do any good! You want a 1/2 watter there. Just a few suggestions.

it's cramped so I put C11 on the bottom. the hole for the mounting screw is in the way with all those big fat caps in there.

R11 is underneath C6 a little bit.. not touching but had no room so..

I redid the heater wires.

and yep I have a grnd for the jack written down.. last minute notes.

and gil caught the R3/4 goof up.. so I'm putting the 1/2 watt R3 in R4, and then putting in a new R3.

got my pt and ot wiring figured out.. so.. should be ready to run.

I've heard of guys testing with no tubes.. but I've never done that. So I guess I'll build the light bulb device in case I have anything messed up.

TWANG

it's cramped so I put C11 on the bottom. the hole for the mounting screw is in the way with all those big fat caps in there.

and gil caught the R3/4 goof up.. so I'm putting the 1/2 watt R3 in R4' date=' and then putting in a new R3.

I've heard of guys testing with no tubes.. but I've never done that. So I guess I'll build the light bulb device in case I have anything messed up.

Sounds like you got it covered then...yeah the lightbulb limiter is just a 40-60 watt bulb in series with the hot power leg...real simple but it will save your trannies if something is really wrong on power up. Best of luck with it!

TWANG[/quote']

and gil caught the R3/4 goof up.. so I'm putting the 1/2 watt R3 in R4' date=' and then putting in a new R3.

TWANG[/quote']

Yeah, and that way if the amp thing doesn't play out to plan you can always market what you've come up with as an Easy Bake Oven on steroids

...and Al's your uncle.

It'll work just fine, I'm sure.

though I have a hum problem.

I think I got some wires too close together.

could be a ground though.

I have made one easy bake amplifier.. R10 glowed like a hot iron.

*S*

fun stuff!

Archived