Gibson Brands Forums

3-hole TRC and bolt-on neck (?) gibsons

dubstar

So I'm reading about the new gibsons and it says they have a bolt-on neck? can that possibly be true?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Acoustic-DSR-Dreadnaught-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516431

Sure. "Bolt-on neck" usually evokes the Fender/ early 70's Epiphone/60's Euro-trash import things but quite a few reputable makers such as Breedlove and Taylor use a variation of a bolt-on neck to reduce manufacturing processes and future warranty claims on neck re-sets... I also seem to recall seeing some current Epiphone models with a similar bolt-on system... this type of neck has a heel so it doesn't look like what one thinks of as a bolt-on neck... I'm pretty liberal and open-minded as far as electric guitar designs go but I'm usually a complete tight *** traditionalist when it comes to acoustics and dove tail/ mortise and tenon neck joints VS. the bolt -on....but last year I bought a 1997 Tacoma PM-20 ( $500 hog parlour guitar with a bolt-on neck to be used as more or less a beach and boat beater) and since then those other acoustics made a bit further east in the country haven't received much attention...I love the sound, feel and response of that little guitar so, when well-designed I now think bolt-ons can hang with the more traditional joints. I'm not saying specifically about this Gibson because I haven't heard or played one but I'm no longer dismissive of all bolt-on necks. I'm very glad to see Gibson keeping it in our hemisphere as far as manufacturing a budget instrument too. I'm going to check them out as soon as I get the chance.

...and Al's your uncle.

So I'm reading about the new gibsons and it says they have a bolt-on neck? can that possibly be true?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Acoustic-DSR-Dreadnaught-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516431

You would not know they are bolt-neck acoustics by looking at them casually. The bolt is on the inside of the guitar's body, in the neck block. It's not on the outside, like you think of when you think of a Fender bolt-on neck. This lets the neck and body make contact with another more like a traditional dove tail or mortise and tenon joint. And, as Iconoclast pointed out, the relative simplicty of this design cuts down on manufacturing time and cost, which in part, is why the bolt-neck Gibsons are so much more affordable than the set-neck models.

Gibson purchased the Canadian guitar company, Garrison, last year, and these particular Gibsons are made in that facility. The Candian Gibsons have a slightly different headstock and truss rod cover as you noted. The bodies are also unlike the traditional and historic Gibson shapes.

Red 333

thanks for the clarification, uncle al and red...I was thinking along the lines of the 70s era epiphones that iconoclast has

posted about previously...obviously this makes more sense and the reasons for it are understandable...

...The bolt is on the inside of the guitar's body' date=' in the neck block. It's not on the outside,

like you think of when you think of a Fender bolt-on neck. ...Red 333[/quote'] ... and

70's - 80's Asian built Epiphones.

Sounds like the Gibson bolt-on is like the Taylor bolt-on.

Didn't Gibson buy some manufacturer up in Canada? "Art and Luthiery" I thnk. Is this

their design?

BTW the 70's-80's 'bolt on ' necks were, to be technical, were screwed on.

4, #12 x 2"+/-, round head wood screws, counter bored through the back of the guitar

into the neck block and neck. This is similar to some Fenders of the era. The Taylor

uses actual bolts. 2, I think. Maybe this Gibby as well.

I would think you could put greater 'hurt' on the bolts, and therefore more compression

of the neck to body joint than wood screws.

... and

70's - 80's Asian built Epiphones.

Didn't Gibson buy some manufacturer up in Canada? "Art and Luthiery" I thnk. Is this

their design?

Garrison is the name of the company. I think the bolt-on neck design is more the result of Gibson's desire to produce a mid-priced acoustic than any design influence of Garrison. Garrison is known for high-end, boutique guitars made with a proprietary, one piece, high tech bracing system, over which traditional woods are used for the top, back, and sides. I believe Gibson bought Garison for to get this technology, and also to get a facility already staffed by experienced, talented luthiers that could be expanded. All in all, a very savvy move by Gibson. They can continue to build and market their own traditional designs, get into a new market with lower-cost (and presumably high-quality) alternatives that don't stray too far from tradition, and they now own the premier brand of advanced design acoustics, along with the manufacturing capabilty and expertise to build them.

Red 333

Archived