Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton wiring with taps question/opinions ?

In the next couple of months, i am going to change the pups in my 95 samick Sheraton and wanted to go with taps of some sort for the pups. I am going to have Twang do a harness for me and he raised the question of a rotary switch to replace the three way.

With 6 positions I would imagine that this would provide for either or both pups in Hum or single coil variations but not for blending of both. I would like to have the option of also blending a variation of both single and hums as well.

I want to keep the looks as clean as possible without a ton of additional switches. Could this be accomplished through keeping the three way switch and adding a rotary to the harness. I figure no better group to help than my bros here ! What are your thoughts/suggestions ?

Thanks, John

I would keep it all stock looking and go with 2 push/pull pots on the tone controls instead for coil taps. I don't like rotary switches I like the 3 way much better....much easier to change on the fly too!

I agree but the verdict is still out as I understand it as to whether push pulls will fit !

the small pot types will be close as we said.. I'm not going to try it for fun though!

you might get a concentric pot in there.. so you'd have stacked tone controls..

leaving the other hole for a switch, rotary or otherwise.

Concentric would be a total PITA to use on the fly as well as rotary. The more crap you put on the guitar for choices the worse it will be for ease of use/selection.

Keep it simple is the best policy unless you really want a guitar you can fool around with in a non pressure situation where you can fart around and take time to find the coil selections you want.

I have a guitar with tripple blade mother-bucker pickups, wired for EVERY possible option, it is not a guitar I would play in a live situation, it's great and very versatile but you really need to think when you start throwing switches and pulling and pushing pots on it, it can get confusing real quick.

Concentric would be a total PITA to use on the fly as well as rotary. The more crap you put on the guitar for choices the worse it will be for ease of use/selection.

Keep it simple is the best policy unless you really want a guitar you can fool around with in a non pressure situation where you can fart around and take time to find the coil selections you want.

I have a guitar with tripple blade mother-bucker pickups' date=' wired for EVERY possible option, it is not a guitar I would play in a live situation, it's great and very versatile but you really need to think when you start throwing switches and pulling and pushing pots on it, it can get confusing real quick.[/quote']

Agreed that's why I said 2 push/pull tone pots...up it's coil taps/down it's normal ...pretty simple and it looks stock too

This will fit! http://store.guitarfetish.com/pudppo25auge.html...all you need is an 1 1/8" depth

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics' date='_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/3/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots.html[/quote']

Yeah, I looked at those but wasn't sure whether the 1 1/8 was enough and whether they would go through the f-holes. I may have to go ahead and order one to see before I have Twang do the harness. I agree, I would much rather stick with the push pulls to keep the look and simplicity.

there's nothing complicated about a rotary or concentric pots..

and even with both, he wouldn't have too many choices or lose any time adjusting.

I understand the point, a motherbucker has so many options you nearly need to enlarge your control cavity..

imgaine three!

But a concentric.. no sweat.. they work fine.

and same with a rotary.

your push pulls will keep your look and they probably will fit..

I have a couple in 250K pot type but no 500Ks in stock.

TWANG

there's nothing complicated about a rotary or concentric pots..

and even with both' date=' he wouldn't have too many choices or lose any time adjusting.

I understand the point, a motherbucker has so many options you nearly need to enlarge your control cavity..

imgaine three!

But a concentric.. no sweat.. they work fine.

and same with a rotary.

your push pulls will keep your look and they probably will fit..

I have a couple in 250K pot type but no 500Ks in stock.

TWANG[/quote']I have a real hard time imagining using concentric on a guitar and not getting very frustrated very fast with the set up.

well stop and think about it.

it's all in your head.

you move your fingers and your pick in tiny increments at great speed.

so obviously the only thing bothering you is practice!

watch jay lenos guitarist sometimes. he's got a zillion switches on that thing.

Agreed that's why I said 2 push/pull tone pots...up it's coil taps/down it's normal ...pretty simple and it looks stock too

That's the way I like them..Simple. pull up the tone pots..you got your coil splits, for that

single coil sound. Keep the 3-way..I think it's easier to sort things out. I added a

small min-toggle for a phase switch..and it does create some interesting efx, but

not what I would call earth-shattering, so it's strictly an option.

Push down the tone pots and you're back to humbucker mode.

The Jimi Page 4 push-pull wiring can be quite confusing as you are playing,

and you would have to pretty much record things down on paper to retain

the different combos available.

Archived