Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone sighting[warning: shred-content]

Ricochet

I have a great respect for this kinda guitar shredders - but honestly - Im happy I never fell into this. When history is written' date=' Albert King will be the winner howmuchever these guys shred.[/quote']

You're right. Shred-metal is great, as a vehicle to show of chops. The speed and agility of some of these guys is nothing short of amazing, it's like watching the Olympics!

I rather hear Clapton tune his guitar....just not my cup of tea....it's fast' date=' but I don't think he would know a tasty lick if it bit him in the a$$![/quote']

Well...I was never a big fan. But Paul Gilbert was certainly one of the more technically accomplished players during the 90's shred-era. The guy has alien abilities and non of the rockstar attitude. I think the format of Mr. Big as arena-rock-metal-band didn't represent his talents well. Which may be the reason he left. His solo-efforts show much more promise.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-Y7ZypD4E&feature=related

Well...I was never a big fan. But Paul Gilbert was certainly one of the more technically accomplished players during the 90's shred-era. The guy has alien abilities and non of the rockstar attitude. I think the format of Mr. Big as arena-rock-metal-band didn't represent his talents well. Which may be the reason he left. His solo-efforts show much more promise.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-Y7ZypD4E&feature=related

I do appreciate what it takes to play like that and I could never do it in a million years......my main problem with most shredders is that they just assault the listener with chops to the point that it all sounds the same and there is little contrast or texture to the music....again just an opinion. I do like the fact that Gilbert doesn't take himself quite so seriously as some of the others.

I wish I could play 1/10th as good as that, I dug his other Beatles covers too, that cat he had sing "While my Guitar..." sounded just like George I thought, I noticed his propensity for Beatles covers, I think he's pretty damn good myself.

Archived