Gibson Brands Forums

Dialing the changes back....

I have an amp I built, but I'm going to convert it back to a VJ with a 6V6 and add a parallel EL84 circuited 9 pin power socket, with its own bias. I will probably cannabilize the components and build my own board for this with end connectors for everything... the WTA board didn't cut it for me. Probably try to build a double turret board instead of using eyelets too.

My design is as follows:

R1 - 1M across input (moved)

R2 - 10k

R3, R4 - 100k

R5 - 270k

R6 - 270k

R7 - 270k

R8 - 820R

R9 - 1.5k

R15 - 10k

C1 - 0.022uF or 0.0015uF switchable

C2 - 0.022uF

C3, C4 - 1uF

C5 - 1000uF

C6 - 100uF

My concerns are R8, R9, C6, C3, C4, and the 6V6 tube itself.

What I am thinking is I'll have to go with a C3 and C4 of 22uF and possibly roll R8 up to 1.2k or 1.5k. Perhaps give C6 a boost by 200uF to deliver more bass punch.

Really I think it's the 6V6 tube, not enough crunch for my tastes. Satelliting an EL84 off to the side with its own bias will let me switch tubes back and forth, or even put both tubes in at once. I may also want to look into raising R5 and R6 both to 1M but I'm not entirely sure why....

Thoughts?

Damn, just upping R6 and R7 to 1M made a load of difference to the tone, probably since I don't have to drive the first gain stage so hard anymore to get the same volume out. It's a bit more sensitive too.

Went with 22uF on C4 too. It sounds great, but I still want to mix in an EL84.

Archived