Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Silverburst Les Pauls

Istvanski

OK, we've all seen these on eBay. Are they real or fake?

I must admit, I really fancy getting one but because they are not listed on the official Epiphone website, I'm thinking that they're bogus Epis.

What say you guys?

There are legit LP Customs in silverbursts around, limited edition I think.

Buying new Epiphones on eBay from unknown sellers is pretty risky business these days, look for an authorized dealer and you'll get a good one. Should be in the regular LP Custom price range.

I've seen them from legit sellers. Buy one from a legit seller!

The GC here in Villa Park Illinois had both the Gibson and the Epiphone one when I was there a few weeks ago. I'm not a LP guy but even I like the looks of these and if I had to have a LP this would be the one. The Epiphone one was just as nice as the Gibson one finish wise.

With all these fake Epiphones going around I would also advise sticking to the legit dealers.

I wonder if the same company that makes Agile makes the silver Epi Les Paul. I'm 99% sure it is in Korea, and it seems like there are a few major guitar manufacturers over there that produce guitars under a variety of labels. The Agile silverburst Les Paul type guitar looks very nice.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Custom?sku=519391

They are limited, I have not been able to find out just HOW limited. I can tell you that however many were made, 1 less exists since the UPS guy thought it would be cool to snap the neck of the first one i ordered in half. I love my replacement though. I'll send some pictures later so you guys can see some real characteristics, what the s/n looks like, etc. Its absolutely gorgeous, and to be honest, I like the finish on the Epi better than the 6x more expensive Gibson. gibson uses that burst that looks like a guitar pick shape, the epi has the burst of about an inch or so all the way around the perimeter.

I'll send some pictures later .........
Ummmm, Please, pics asap, pretty please...... I find the silverburst to be a peculiar (in an EXCELLENT way !!! I'm "funny" that way...)) finish, as looking at it, it looks like a black and white photo of a burst-finish guitar. Tres cool, in my book. Am thinking I wish I would've gotten one, but...... honeyburst works...for now, anyways :-k Me likey the silverbursts =D> Some day, one day....

...Its absolutely gorgeous' date=' and to be honest, I like the finish on the Epi better than the 6x more expensive Gibson. gibson uses that burst that looks like a guitar pick shape, the epi has the burst of about an inch or so all the way around the perimeter.[/quote']

+1 I like the finish on the Epi way better than on the Gibson.

There's something wrong about those silverburst e-bay listings. I've sent messages to a few because I was genuinely after one before I got my BB. Some of them implied the guitar was in UK until I asked if I could collect it. Then they admitted it was being shipped from China. When I asked more questions, 2 of them stopped replying to my messages. Epi don't ship from factory, so as I see it, these are either :

1. Real Epis but stolen from a factory, perhaps to order

2. Real Epis but quality rejects (and maybe stolen as well)

3. Fakes

There's a strong chance you won't end up with a genuine A1 Epi.

Also, e-bay is having problems with counterfeit sellers hacking into little-used UK e-bay accounts and using them to sell dodgy items..if in doubt, I suggest asking the seller for a contact phone number or business address. If they are genuine they should be willing.

I promised pictures, here they are. Not the greatest camera or lighting but what can I say, I'd rather buy a guitar than a camera, and rather work on my playing than my photography. Hope this is helpful anyways.

Anyways, I purchased this from Musicians Friend. I compared to a few of the eBay auctions that are out there. Here are some characteristics that are a part of the authentic Epi Custom LP Silverburst:

1. Check the font on the headstock. There are fakes out there that have taller letters and numbers.

2. 'Rainbow-ish' Pearloid on the headstock in the double diamond, and the Epi logo.

3. White Pearloid/Mother of Pearl big block inlays on the neck.

4. Top and bottom binding on the body. Binding has a cream/off white/aged appearance and looks to be 5-ply, alternating black and cream. Headstock binding to match on the front. Neck binding is single ply and cream.

5. Tone and volume knobs are identical to the Gibson - clear at the top fades into black.

6. Silver Grovers, NOT green top hats.

Thats it, good luck in your search. MF still has them available, just search by 'silverburst'.

Sorry about the links, I'll figure all of this out soon enough...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn106/jasona93/DSC00086.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn106/jasona93/DSC00087.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn106/jasona93/DSC00089.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Those of you with epi silverbursts' date=' can you tell me if on your SBs the heel where the neck meets the body looks like the one on the right or does it look like the one on the left?

Thanks.

[/quote']

left, got mine from musiciansfriend.com.

Archived