Gibson Brands Forums

Suspect my guitars a fake

Yea...That headstock looks real fishy to me, not so much what stickers it has on it, but more or less the shape of the epiphone inlay...Compare to my les paul custom its really off. You can see it straight away without comparing it to another epiphone that the logo is kinda wonky looking (for example the 'n' and the lower case 'e' in the logo just doesnt look right....) Also just the shape of the headstock looks out, like the 'open book' thing at the top loks real wack....Anyway thats just my opinion...You already want a refund so there's not much point for my comment...but owell thats my 2 cents...

.::Mealz

Sorry Muzzy, but all the fishy looking details of poor material and workmanship add up, till it screams fake...

Pic 1 - no locking-wire holding the intonation screws, tailpiece post's screw-heads appear domed and should be flat, plastic switchplate is rotated

Pic 2 - That Epiphone logo is pathetic, looks cut out by hand. Biggest giveaway is the lower bout of the n, which should be square, not rounded like a script-font. Also the G-tuner is well off to the right, too close to the edge.

Pic 3 - Same as 2. Headstock looks slim and tall but could be the picture angle.

Pic 4 - Sent from China after being inspected and set up in the USA? Limited Edition stamp is different. And haven't seen the Hand-Crafted sticker before, but it's a nice touch.

]Your guitar was made at the

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China

February 2008

Production Number: 6845 unless those numbers come from somewhere else, the ee numbers look to big though. How does the quality look on it?

First of all, the serial number is bogus.

Being a 2008 guitar, there should be a five digit production number; they switched sometime near the end of 2006. Also the typeface and letter spacing is incorrect.

eehead.jpg

The tuning key placement is WAY off.

The LE Custom shop logo is wrong (typeface should be Times).

G400Mlogo.jpg

The tuners are bogus; Grovers don't come with such large washers. Headstock shape is funny too.

The shape of the cutaway is off and it looks like there are too many plies in the binding..

Check the bridge and tailpiece. If they are genuine 2008 Epiphone parts, they will be the new 'locking' type that do not fall off the posts once the strings are removed.

Here's a shot of a genuine LP Custom headstock. Note:

Position of Epi logo;

Position of split diamond inlay;

Position of tuners;

Size of truss rod cover.

LPcustomhead.jpg

Sorry to say this but that's a counterfeit.

I can not say for sure that your LP is real or a fake. But what i can say is that if that is a copy they did a good job. If you go on Guitarcenter.com you will see that your head stock from the back looks good. the hand crafted sticker is real if it says made in china. i have a epi LP standard plus top from Dec 2006 that I bought from a guitar store that is a licensed dealer of Gibson and Epi and mine has the hand crafted sticker. having said that the main problem that i have with your guitar is the rounded bridge screws (should be flat) and that Epiphone inlay in the head stock. Who ever cut that epi inlay was on some kind of drug and just had no idea how to fake it. it seems to be pure white with no mother of pearl look to it at all. i haave never seen an Lp with a solid white inlay. on the back though the limited edition stamp, hand crafted sticker, and inspector sticker look all real. but if they are going to fake the guitar this well they will have made the stickers also. I have a feeling that it is a fake. I could show you pics of mine you will have to email me for them since i do not know how to add them on here. yzfrider82@aol.com

Hi all

About the same time i post this i emailed Gibson and they informed me that the serial was not consistant of an Epiphone Guitar and that they beleived it was fake. So i have since got a refund. Yes Codemonk not a good sign if the site has been suspended.

Thank you all for your help and advice on this, you were all very helpfull. I will NEVER buy a guitar from ebay and i would advise anyone whos thinging about it not to unless you are 100% sure the guitar your buying is geniune.

My plan now is to take a drive up to Guilford and buy and nice new Gibson SG, its a little more money but im told it should be worth it.

Cant wait!! O:)

Thanks again all

Muzzy

Hiya

I found a link - http://www.guitardaterproject.org/ and according to which, quote;

'Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China

February 2008

Production Number: 6845

Gibson Qingdao

The Gibson Qingdao Plant was opened in October 2002, Qingdao, China. It is the only plant run by Epiphone in Asia.Both acoustic and electric guitars are made here. The factory is dedicated to making Epiphone and only Epiphone guitars with the aim of producing higher quality guitars.

Hope that helps

Andy

The serial # print size is incorrect.

The writing is usually much smaller.

If I'm not mistaken those Silverbursts are Epi Custom Shop leftovers from a run in late '05, some being a bit fancier than others with a ltd run of shiny pickguards.

We had a Brooke Mays Music store here for a while that had those for $599.

It is since closed.

Been about a year ago.

Here is the back of my Epi LP headstock from the same factory.

Notice the lettering difference.

guits024-1.jpg

Also, there may be an extra production number on the end as is the case with mine.

This guitar was bought at a Local Retailer with all documentation.

Archived