Gibson Brands Forums

Oscilloscope.. is this okay?

I need an oscilloscope to do some tests on modified amps and on ones I build, anyone think this will do it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEKTRONIX-455-A2-DUAL-OSCILLOSCOPE-HI-INT-TRACE-TESTED_W0QQitemZ250248465451QQihZ015QQcategoryZ104247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm going to be looking for harmonics to test for distortion, for a start. Gotta learn to use one but gotta get one I can use for the purpose first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230252898690&_trksid=p2759.l1259

This too.

An O-scope only does one thing....It plots voltage against time...as long as you understand that and the frequency requirements you need....you don't need anything particularly fast or fancy....but stay away from anything really old and in need of major calibration. ....especially where your just learning how to use a scope. Also many of them don't include the probes and those can cost $30 or $40 each as well. Good hunting!

Yeah, I'm starting to find out they only go down to 100Hz (low E is 42.9Hz on a bass...), some of the "100MHz" ones go 100MHz-300MHz, some "20MHz" go 50Hz-20MHz... and then they all turn out to be DAMN expensive. The second-hand ones I find sometimes go for $100.... new, $3000???? Find docs on them and you'll know why... property of the US Army information not for distribution to civilians blahblahblah.

Hitach and Leader make some nice scopes and they aren't too expensive. Most scopes will work nicely at low frequencies. I,v got an old Philips that I bought at an auction for almost nothing. Its' top end is only 10Mhz but it is perfect for audio work. It also has both x and y inputs which can be used with a transformer, a cap and a resistor to build a component checker. It does not like high frequencies.

Where I lived in Texas, there were all kinds of discount electronic store. They all sold test equipment at a prett reasonable price.

Archived