Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Slash Les Paul question.

ssgfowler

First off... I'm not a huge Slash fan, just a big Les Paul fan, and this guitar has everything in a Les I'm looking for

Got to try one of these at GC over the weekend and it is a really, really, really nice Les Paul, in every way (the baseball bat neck fits my hand really well) and it sounds frickin' awesome.

Since GC won't give you sh**t on trade ins, I asked my local guitar shop if they could get one, he said "Yes".

Long story short, He's willing to take my Gibson SG Special Faded and a MIM Strat as an even trade for the EPI. Both of my guitars have been modded (P/U's, parts, etc.,) and he's tried both and loved them. I love the SG but have never been really fond of the Strat.

Any horror stories on the Epi Slash Les Paul. (Yes I know the acrylic nut needs to be replaced with a bone nut, etc., but I can do all that myself).

Sound like a bad deal or a good one?

Well, my first question is "Is it worth two guitars to you?" I'm a HUGE Slash fan and opted for a Standard (I traded off a Studiio) and then I'm gonna just put some Alnico Pro 2s in and I got a case for my birthday but you can get one for $40-120. But then again, I'm still thinking about takin out a gc credit card and just buyin it. So for me, If I got a deal like that, seeing as you get the alnico pro2s and a case, it would depend on how much you like playing the other two and if ya have more guitars. I'd play everything I could on it and if you still think it sounds awesome then make the deal. if not, then don't.

Piff. Sorry, but I just couldn't see sinking all that cash into a fakewood Epi. I think it'd be smarter to save a little harder and get an Elitist. Since you're not a huge Slash fan the pickups shouldn't matter that much and the 490R/498T pickups in the Elitist are a good alternative. If you are a big Les Paul fan you're sure to appreciate the attention to detail that goes into the Elitist. Best thing would be to do a comparison, obviously.

I am somewhat new the forum and compared to others i like this one because i find it more infomative and helpful and the user's so far are more mature. I am by no means an expert on guitar's, just recently got interested in learning how to play. With that being said i'm confused on this comment? Piff. Sorry, but I just couldn't see sinking all that cash into a fakewood Epi. Made by RotcanX, I was under the impression that the Slash Sig. was solid Mahogny? I bought the guitar for several reasons. The obvious being a Slash fan and i've alway's liked Les Paul's. I figured that i would have a nice guitar to learn how to play and one that i will keep forever. As i said i'm no expert, but when i took it to my brother's house to show him ( he's been playing 20 plus yrs. and owns an Les Paul Standard and Epi. Standard Plus ) his overall opinion of the guitar was really nice. Yes maybe a little pricy, but i think what it all boils down to is that if it is someting that you really want, get it.

I played all the Epiphones LPs I could pickup . . . Gibsons LPs too!

I made up my mind to get an Elitist . . .

However, I liked "what" made up the Slash model Epi. So, I waited until they came out to play one or two! They're OK.

The difference is night and day . . . the Elitist is an awesome guitar in every aspect . . . and I paid less for it than what I could get the Slash for!

Yes maybe a little pricy' date=' but i think what it all boils down to is that if it is someting that you really want, get it.[/quote']

And you did. So why I are you concerned with what someone else says about it?

I guess you have missed the plethora of posts that have stated that the mahagany used for the Epis is not "real" mahogany. I don't know all the details, and don't care, but this has been talked about many times.

I love my fake mahogany G400. And could not care less what anyone else thinks about the quality of the wood.

I like the quality of the sound I produce from it.

Take your own advice.

I'm confused on this comment? Piff. Sorry' date=' but I just couldn't see sinking all that cash into a fakewood Epi. Made by RotcanX, I was under the impression that the Slash Sig. was solid Mahogany?[/quote']

It's solid something, which is technically mahogany (more accurately it is referred to as either Phillipine mahogany or even 'industrial' mahogany) but nonetheless is not related to any of the 'true' mahoganies i.e. Honduras mahogany or African mahogany. Some here will dispute this but in my experience the Phillipine stuff is inferior. Epiphone capitalizes on the basic layman's lack of knowledge and hopes that he will assume that the 'mahogany' in an Epi is equal in calibre to that found in more expensive models. Mahogany = mahogany, right? Well, not in this case.

The way I see it, if you buy an Epi Les Paul for around $500 you're doing well. It's a good guitar, reasonably well made and it is close enough to a Les Paul for most people, and you don't have to break the bank to pay for it. However when you start hitting $1,000 price tags for 'Signature' models I think (just my opinion, mind you) you are now in a bracket where you'd be better off shopping for something that is made of higher grade materials, such as the Elitist.

It's not that i was concerned, and yes i did miss the previous post's about the wood not being real, now i know. I didn't mean to come across as a smart a** if i did, because i'm not. I was wondering about the " fake wood". Ihave read several post that RotcanX has replied to and he seem's to know what he's talking about. That's why i come here.

It's not that i was concerned' date=' and yes i did miss the previous post's about the wood not being real, now i know. I didn't mean to come across as a smart a** if i did, because i'm not. I was wondering about the " fake wood". Ihave read several post that RotcanX has replied to and he seem's to know what he's talking about. That's why i come here.[/quote']

I don't think you came across as a smart a**.

A dumba** maybe, but not...........no I'm joking.

Your post was fine, nothing smart a**y about it.

Agreed. Nothing smartass at all, just a reasonable question asking for a more detailed explanation. No problems with that. And again, I'm just telling it the way I see it; others may see things in a different light.

Archived