Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Rocks American Idol

Mike54

OK. Don't know if there are any American Idol watchers here, but at the risk of being ridiculed and shunned, I have an observation. Last night on the last show of the season, last competition, last song, by the resident rocker David Cook, he sang a song by Collective Soul, playing his lefty AJ-500RE. Now, at this point in the game, I'm sure he could have chosen any guitar to play. But with the season and the competition and all the marbles on the line, dude rocked the Epi, and it sounded good! You can hear it on youtube.com, David Cook, "The World I Know". The Masterbilts can hold their own on any stage!

I have to be honest, I quit watching AI when they felt they should bring Clay Aitkin back.

There's no way he's fit to even straighten Reuben Studdards neck tie.

I felt they brought him back for reasons other than 'talent.'

I now feel bad that I missed, at a minimum, this last show. This is music at it's finest.

And.... Simon is still an idiot.

But little David is a lot better singer so was girl that went off last week but I think young girls do most the voting

If by "Little David" you mean DA, you're right. He just plain outperformed DC on every song last night.

Too sad, I was really hopeful that DC would win, I think he's got little chance now.

DC has stage presence, DA is too young to have developed much yet, but he'll get there.

Just MHO.............

Dugly

David A was a ballad singer, nothing more. He was excellent at that, (even with his sometimes over-the-top vocal gymnastics) but was totally out of his element on any other type of song. The EJ song "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" was perfect for him, but he seemed timid and awkward on anything that even remotely rocked. David Cook was the all-round best performer of this group and deserved to win. I really think we'll hear more from Cook.

Maybe David A can get a TV gig as Hannah Montana's boyfriend. :-

I'm not sure that he needs a "bunch of guitars." .... the last I checked' date=' you can only play one guitar at a time. ....[/quote']

Now you're beginning to sound like my wife.

I'm old and don't like that yelling the rock singers do like d cook I don't think his voice was that go good look at elvis and ricky nelson they had good voices there was music there.Off course I like clean guitar sound just a tab of reverb

Now you're beginning to sound like my wife.

Yeah, I use to get the same thing from my EXwife, although that's not the reason she's an EX. Anyway, I ended the practice by pointing out that she can only wear one pair of shoes at a time. I agreed to quit buying guitars if she would quit buying shoes (she already had enough to impress Imelda Marcos).

Never heard a word about it again :-$ .........you might be surprised to find that a pair of decent shoes can cost as much as a decent guitar.............

Got an S.O. now, changed my practice there, too. I greet her at the door with the good news and the new guitar. I never mention her shoes......:^o

Oh, yeah, back on topic. I couldn't agree more, DC had the "package" the producers look for. DA was an incredible vocalist, and not a bad pianist, but his "....gee, golly..." personna really doesn't leave much for PR soundbytes, and those capabilities are very important from a promotional perspective--and believe me, the AI organization WILL end up promoting whoever wins these competitions. Doesn't mean DA won't have a career, nobody doubts that, and look at what Chris Daughtry has done since he was voted off even before the finals--true talent will prevail, and AI gives plenty of exposure!!

I thought DC looked totally comfortable playing "Sharp Dressed Man" with ZZ Top--he's a natural, we'll be hearing more from him in the R&R world!!

Dugly

Sandman, I agree. He won with the Masterbilt. Dance with the girl who brought ya. Since he's playing a Gibson LP and Epi MB, I think someone from both companies, or the joint company, however the food chain is set; should be waitin' by the backstage door for that kid.

Anyway, didn't mean to turn this into an AI forum, but its been fun.

Archived