Gibson Brands Forums

How old are you?

Ron G

I've noticed that several members are chronologically gifted, like myself. I was wondering what the overall makeup of the forum is. I'm 55 and have been playing guitar since age 12. If you'd like to post your age and how long you've been playing, that would be cool, too.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old as Dirt! (Well, maybe not quite??)

Played guitar for about 6 years (age 14-20), then (basically) stopped for 30 years,

had to find something I could try to make a living at, and "disco" took over, which was

another incentive/hint, to "move on"....LOL!

Got the bug again, about 8 years ago.

CB

I'm 55 on May 25th. I started playing guitar in 1968. My mother wasn't too excited about that, but hey...O:)

When I went to college (1971-1975) my guitar collected dust in the closet (also put a nice bow in the neck#-o )

I rekindled my playing in 1975. I played both electric and acoustic. Initially I used the guitar as an accompaniment

instrument, as I was mainly a singer. I developed my technique from being exposed to various styles of playing (rock, folk-rock, classical). Over the years I've played on and off and have been mostly on for the past several years. As with many of you, I've had to let go of some nice instruments (Gibson Les Paul Custom and ES-335) due to financial struggles for one reason or another.#-o Then once I started playing more regularly I gravitated to the Epiphone electric guitar, also like many of you, for affordability, as well as quality. I am now the proud owner of a Sheraton II NA and Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS:d/ .

I'm 55. I started playing around 12...never really took it seriously until I was 24. At 30 I pretty much stopped playing until June last year when I bought a Dot Studio...a 25 year layoff. Although I have a '76 Les Paul, it was too heavy for an old guy with back problems, and the LP's shape is rather awkward to play sitting down.

I'm eighteen, with more white hair than either of my parents. That's not even an exaggeration.

I've been drumming for ten years, playing guitar for four or so, and fooling around with the piano (occasionally making something nice come out) for around eight.

I'm 58 and have started playing again after about a 40 year+ layoff. When I did play in my teens, I didn't play any chords above the third fret and a barre chord was real "exotic" to me. I am playing mostly jazz now and the whole fretboard has opened up to me. I still have trouble with my short, fat fingers but I am loving every moment of it.

As for singing, I don't even try. My singing has been compared to "goose farts on a muggy day", although not an original quote, ( I believe someone was describing Mel Torme) it captures the essence of my singing ability perfectly.

I am surprised at the age grouping in the poll. I would have guessed that most of the forum members would be in the twenty-something range. Whitmore Willie said it best: a nice cross section of people.

Archived