Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Custom

LFC 2008

Hi I'm new to the forum as I'll be new to epiphone within a few months. After looking for a new guitar for a while now I think I've settled on a Les Paul Custom:

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG00024

Thought I'd post here to receive some feedback on the guitar from epi users who have had experience with it and tell me their thoughts on it.

After reading round im particulary interested in what people think of the stock pickps and whether they need to be changed initially. If so what would you recommend?

After research im currently interested in Duncan JB for the bridge and a Duncan '59 or jazz for the neck. Would this be a good set up or would their be better setups for this guitar? I havent really got a vast knowledge of pickups. If it helps i'd say i more prefer bright tones to bassy tones.

Thanks for any feedback given.

LFC,

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a custom, however I do have the standard. Not quite as much bling but I am happy.

Checked the link...looks like a good guitar. Don't know much about the pickups. I am sure others will voice their opinions. I did change the pots and caps on mine and found that it made an improvement. Many others here think Epi pickups are a bit dark. Who am I to argue?

A word of warning...If you are going to go with the gold hardware (it does set the guitar off) consider how much your hands perspire and how acidic they are. Keep the gold polished and wipe it down after every use.

If I went with gold, my acidic hands would have it ruined in a couple of years.

Maybe I should change my name to the "caustic picker".

After reading round im particulary interested in what people think of the stock pickps and whether they need to be changed initially. If so what would you recommend?

After research im currently interested in Duncan JB for the bridge and a Duncan '59 or jazz for the neck

I personally find the Epiphone alnico humbuckers lacking in definition and tone. Any Epi that I'm serious about gets new pickups. The Duncan JB and '59/Jazz combo is an excellent choice in my opinion. I have the JB/Jazz combo on a Gibson SG and the JB/'59 combo on my Elitist Les Paul and in both cases I'm very pleased with the result. The advantage of the Jazz is that it has four-conductor wiring so you can do coil tapping on it; usually the '59 has the straight shielded single conductor wire for vintage correctness. Otherwise I believe these two pickups are very similar.

Good luck with your new baby.

I've had an Alpine White Custom for about a year now and I've been very happy with it overall.

The neck shape is extremely comfortable and the fretwork is excellent. There are a couple of paint QC issues that I think border on embarrassing (the worst being a spot on the side of the headstock that was apparently left unpainted when they masked the binding and then "touched up" in a way that is blatantly obvious - almost looks like whiteout) but it plays so well that I decided to live with it rather than sending it back.

I'll probably switch out the pots and switch eventually, but haven't really messed with it for now. I'm not currently gigging, so it doesn't go through any heavy wear and tear. If I were playing out on a regular basis again, that would probably be the first thing I would do.

I think the stock pickups are acceptable, but not great. They sound amazing using the Rectifier model on my MicroCube and they sound pretty good clean, but when played on full blast distortion through my Mesa/Boogie Rocket .44 they don't have a whole lot of character. This is most obvious if I play them back to back with my Gibson LP Standard with the 490R/498T combo (pickups I really like, but some don't). The Gibson just feels much more "alive." The Epi feels more like you have to coerce notes out whereas they just "jump" out of the Gibby on their own.

The Epi is light and the neck, as I said, is wonderful, though. The overall construction is good despite the cosmetic flubs. For the price, I think it's a nice guitar. I'd try out the stock pickups for a while and see if you like them with your amplification. They may not blow you away, but I don't think they're awful, either.

LFC' date='

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a custom, however I do have the standard. Not quite as much bling but I am happy.

Checked the link...looks like a good guitar. Don't know much about the pickups. I am sure others will voice their opinions. I did change the pots and caps on mine and found that it made an improvement. Many others here think Epi pickups are a bit dark. Who am I to argue?

A word of warning...If you are going to go with the gold hardware (it does set the guitar off) consider how much your hands perspire and how acidic they are. Keep the gold polished and wipe it down after every use.

Maybe I should change my name to the "caustic picker".[/quote']

I dunno there Whit, that's a pretty "blingy" lookin' guitar you got there Mister.

Yeah, I'd shy away from gold too, only because I would just wear it off, wouldn't even have to worry about sweat, but I'd go with that Duncan combo too if I didn't already have these old "T-Tops", they suit me fine, and they were a gigantic leap from what was in it stock.

Cheers for all the feedback so far.

What precautions should i take to try and preserve my gold then? Simple polishing after playing or is there a certain type of cleaner I should use?

Is it possible to stop the gold wearing away or does this just make it last longer than if left?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what advantages does changes the pots and caps do?. The only electric guitar I have is a beginner guitar so this is my first "real" guitar if you like. I wouldn't know where to start with that so what would you suggest to change them with or where to read up on them.

Greetings, LFC.

Sweat and grease from fingers might be the worst things for the metal parts on the guitar. Wipe the guitar after playing with an old (but clean) cotton t-shirt or something.

Changing the pots and caps will mostly alter the range of the tone and volume controls and will affect the sound when you start dialing the volume and/or tone down. The standard components are okay until you know that you want them to perform differently.

For me the standard Epiphone pickups have been almost the first thing to go. The most important thing however would be a good setup, by a professional if you're not experienced enough to do it yourself.

LFC,

Cheers back at you.

As far as the tuners go gold in itself does not oxidise. (supposedly) It is however, a soft metal and prone to microscopic scratchs. They will oxidise. Because it is soft, after years of use it can start to "ware down", even disappear. Remember, we are talking about plate. Also, the pickups are probably coated gold through some sort of electro-magnetic process. What is a pickup? An electro-magnet. Best thing I know of is keeping them polished.

As far as pots, and caps go: The epi pots and caps are O.K. You may want to change them out eventually. Type the words into the search one at a time. There is a plethera of information in this forum.

Sorry, don't mean to be short but something just came up.

Hi LFC,

Welcome to the forum. I'm new here to, I've only posted a couple of times. This is a great place, very knowledgeable.

I own an Epi custom, and it's a great guitar. I kind of lucked out when I bought it off of ebay. Someone obviously took

great care in selecting it. The cosmetics and construction are flawless. They then rewired it to American Gibson specs

and installed a set of Gibson classic humbuckers. He was selling it to buy a Gibson Les Paul, I think he should have kept it! These pickups sound absolutely great in this guitar. I've compared it to 3 different Les Paul's and it stands right up there in terms of sound and playability, and I think the pickups are a large part of it. They are a little more than Duncans, depending on which model you are looking at, but they do sound great. Just something else to consider when you go looking at pickups.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got me epi today and I was wondering where I could find out where/when it was made, should I just post the number on here or is there a tool to use.

Picked it up for £350 in the end which I was happy with, havent had a chance to fully play around with it yet! I know it starts with EE which I think means Chinese made, anyone got experiences with these or thoughts on there quality?

Welcome to the forums from a LP Custom Owner and fellow newbie.

I have this obsession with mine. If I was going to offer some discourse on the LP custom (and this was a purchase to keep mileage off of my Les Paul), I'd say that the pickups are....OK. They're not great. Someone else mentioned putting them up against the 490 series pickups. They are comparable...but they don't respond as well. The biggest thing that irked me with these pickups was that when playing against an audio track, my highs wouldn't register as much as my low-end in terms of db. I eventually went for broke on got the Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups with the Alcino V magnets.

Amazing pickups. Very expensive though.

I've also heard about the gold hardware, and yes, it will fade. I think because of this (and the fact when I got my pickups they only had 1 gold in stock, so I got a gold and a nickel plated one) I had a mix of gold and nickel hardware, and it should look pretty interesting once the gold starts to fade.

If you're looking at "absolute" upgrades though....before upgrading the pickups, before checking anything else, I'd get the nut replaced. Depending on your playing style and what you plan to use the Epi for, you may be happy with just this upgrade alone. (A bone nut did a lot to improve the overall tone of the guitar).

Of course, you could end up spending hundreds, or even thousands of dollars on this guitar, but at the end of the day? It's a pretty axe, but it's not the Gibson. The materials are different. But it's still a good guitar in its own right.

I'd start with the nut and go from there.

LFC' date='

Maybe I should change my name to the "caustic picker".[/quote']

Hey Whit, what're you doing with my guitar, and what's up with that black pickguard? Just kidding...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the stock pots are on a les paul custom?

Also has anyone had any experience using a valvetronix AD30VT as an amp? Im thinking of getting it as my new practice amp.

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know what the stock pots are on a les paul custom?

Also has anyone had any experience using a valvetronix AD30VT as an amp? Im thinking of getting it as my new practice amp.

Thanks in advance

i have that amp and i play with a epiphone studio .. its very very nice .. i exchanged my line 6 spider III 30 watt for it .. the vox has a very rich sound .. sounds very much like a tube amp .. the only thing that it doesnt have that the spider had was a mp3 input .. but the vox has much much more features and options than the spider .. u better get the vox

GFS vintage 59 bridge/neck will make your guitar sound like it looks.

A roller TOM bridge and a gold bigsby will replace the tarnish-on-touch stock epi stuff nicely.

Graphite nut is also a good idea.

It's a nice, playable guitar.

Heavy, very. But nice and stunning to look at.

They're all mahogany, unlike the gibsons, which makes them closer to the epi studios than standards.

The only difference between the two is 'bling'.

New nut hey?

How much are these graphite nuts and are they better than the bone ones?

I live in the UK so any links to websites that sell them would help, am i right in presuming id have to get a epiphone style one as there would be different types for fenders etc?

Would a Gibson style fit an epiphone? (just seen a site selling a gibson style one)

Also, what about the pots, im thinking of starting a project of my own =P~

Someone said i should change them but if they are 500k already does that mean get 250k ones or just better quality 500k ones?

Gunna get some locking tuners too.

New nut hey?

How much are these graphite nuts and are they better than the bone ones?

I live in the UK so any links to websites that sell them would help' date=' am i right in presuming id have to get a epiphone style one as there would be different types for fenders etc?

Would a Gibson style fit an epiphone? (just seen a site selling a gibson style one)

Also, what about the pots, im thinking of starting a project of my own =P~

Someone said i should change them but if they are 500k already does that mean get 250k ones or just better quality 500k ones?

Gunna get some locking tuners too.

[/quote']

I think like 22 bucks or so from allparts...

They're preferred by many because they're vintage-correct, and eliminate nut pinch.

The graphite is more modern, but it's self-lubricating, no friction means better tuning stability, same as a roller bridge.

There's G spaced, i.e. epis and gibsons, or F-spaced for fender and squier.

Or there's blanks, you can cut those yourself using your old plastic one as a template.

Gibson style would be best for epis.

If you want a bass pickup, then get 250K pots.

If you want a humbucker that sounds right, has good control, and improves feel and tone overall, improved 500K pots.

I've never found locking tuners necessary, if you string up properly, then they're pretty useless.

Graphite nut, roller bridge, you've eliminated string friction.

The stock epi grovers are fine.

Archived