Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Memorial Weekend!

"Memorial Day" ? Sounds a bit like our ANZAC Day here in Australia.

Is Memorial Day a day where you honour the sacrifice and service of the brave Americans that were involved in war?

ANZAC Day (25th April) here takes on almost religious proportions and our marches are seeing increases in attendances every year. As young people become old enough to realise that freedom comes at a price, and then realise what that price is.

Having served I'm not an advocate of war but we should not forget how we got where we are. Have a great weekend.

Dig

You too, Jay. I'm too far away, from music stores, to take advantage of the "sales,"

and...I don't really "need" anything, right now, anyway. Plus, at $4.06 a gallon, don't think I'll

be venturing that direction, this weekend. But, all the best, to ALL...for the holiday,

none the less!

Cheers,

CB

Is Memorial Day a day where you honour the sacrifice and service of the brave Americans that were involved in war?

ANZAC Day (25th April) here takes on almost religious proportions and our marches are seeing increases in attendances every year. As young people become old enough to realise that freedom comes at a price' date=' and then realise what that price is.

Having served I'm not an advocate of war but we should not forget how we got where we are. Have a great weekend.

Dig[/quote']

Digger, to answer your question about Memorial Day...yes it is. I didn't serve when I was younger (Viet Nam war...don't get any of us baby boomers started on that failure), nor am I an advocate for war, but as you said,

"we should not forget how we got where we are.". Hey if the U.S. didn't fight the Revolution in 1776, we'd still be under British rule...no offense to any of our British brothers.

CB and layboomo...I hear you on the freakin' gas prices. It hardly pays to play a band gig anymore. With what you

get for the night you can hardly fill your gas tank. Well I hope to be spending some time with my Epi babys this weekend, at least. As CB said, "But, all the best, to ALL...for the holiday, none the less!

We honor those who have served on Veteran's (Armistice) Day in November. Memorial Day honors those who died in service. It was originally established to honor the fallen from our country's Civil War of the mid- 19th century. Given the divisive nature of the war it was not observed nationally until the 1950s.

In current times it marks the unofficial start of the summer season and is also a great weekend to buy a car, a guitar, or both...

ANZAC Day (25th April) here takes on almost religious proportions and our marches are seeing increases in attendances every year. As young people become old enough to realise that freedom comes at a price' date=' and then realise what that price is.

Dig[/quote']

ANZAC Day ( Australian & New Zealand Army Corps) is indeed a day (25Apr) to be recognized with high esteem, commemorating the 1915 dedication and sacrifice during World War 1 and I believe this is to honor all that have served as well.

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.asp

Closest to me is the 1st RAR, (AIRBORNE!) "brother with brother" attachment with the 173rd Airborne Brigade (Sep) during the Vietnam War.

http://www.173rdairborne.net/1strar.htm

You mentioned: "Having served I'm not an advocate of war but we should not forget how we got where we are", so I assume that you did serve. I couldn't agree more and respectfully submit this from a previous post for all to see again:

Give Peace A Chance - JOHN LENNON

Ask not what your Country can do for you; Ask what you can do for your Country - JOHN F. KENNEDY

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - RONALD REAGAN

I've always wondered about your handle - "Digger". That's the same as "Grunt" or "Infantryman" a bit further north of you here in the USA. You didn't happen to attend the reunion with THE HERD in 2005 in Penrith did you???.......J

ANZAC Day ( Australian & New Zealand Army Corps) is indeed a day (25Apr) to be recognized with high esteem' date=' commemorating the 1915 dedication and sacrifice during World War 1 and I believe this is to honor all that have served as well.

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.asp

Closest to me is the 1st RAR, (AIRBORNE!) "brother with brother" attachment with the 173rd Airborne Brigade (Sep) during the Vietnam War.

http://www.173rdairborne.net/1strar.htm

You mentioned: "Having served I'm not an advocate of war but we should not forget how we got where we are", so I assume that you did serve. I couldn't agree more and respectfully submit this from a previous post for all to see again:

Ask not what your Country can do for you; Ask what you can do for your Country - JOHN F. KENNEDY

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - RONALD REAGAN

I've always wondered about your handle - "Digger". That's the same as "Grunt" or "Infantryman" a bit further north of you here in the USA. You didn't happen to attend the reunion with THE HERD in 2005 in Penrith did you???.......J

Yeah mate,

Digger is a common reference to digging holes (foxholes) and in our army they seemed to wait until we finished one hole then move somewhere else and get us to dig another and so the term "digger" became popular and yes it referred to Australian soldiers in a rather fond way. Nope don't attend reunions at all, trying not to aggravate things in my mind and have been on a totally disabled status for about 10 years now........no regrets, I would do the same thing again as I believe that Australia has to honour it's treaties with other countries, and help it's mates when they need it.

Have a good'n

Dig

[/quote']

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for' date=' protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - RONALD REAGAN

[/quote']

Little by little those freedoms, paid for in blood, are being stripped away one by one by a Government that has no concept of what it means to be American.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Attributed to Benjamin Franklin

Find the cost of Freedom, buried in the ground... CSNY

No guitar sales for me, With gas prices, and the nearest guitar store 30 miles away. I'm staying home.

Gonna jam to some backing tracks, some Rush and probably some Cream.

Also gonna be building a few effects (Fuzz treble booster, and whatever I have parts for).

Well, we've been ducking tornados (sometimes quite litterally), for the past 3 evenings. Looks like tonight,

we might(?) get a breather. But, there's been one "Super Cell" south and east of us, that has had a least

10 tonados credited to it, alone. So..??? Ahhhh, Springtime, in Kansas/Oklahoma...and other parts of "Tornado

Alley!" Whoopee!! And, not a "Dorothy" in sight! A few "Toto's" though.

What has that got to do with Memorial Day, or Epiphone Electric Guitars? Nothing...except, with the

power popping on and off, it's a bit hard to get into any long term playing of my Epi (or any or my

other electric) guitars. =D>

CB

Little by little those freedoms' date=' paid for in blood, are being stripped away one by one by a Government that has no concept of what it means to be American.

[i']Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.[/i] Attributed to Benjamin Franklin

Find the cost of Freedom, buried in the ground... CSNY

I enlisted in the Army and was in '66-'69. "No Combat".... I was on Honor Guard/Burial Detail.

Jerry - For those of us that breath those truths, we can only hope that our voice and voting will continue to be heard, but it seems that the majority does not have an inkling to the status of our country. As the quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin says, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". Liberty means Freedom.... Safety cannot be attained with your head in the sand and your butt up in the air.....Eventually, you'll catch an unwanted projectile, for sure and for certain, regardless of where you are....We had to fight for our Freedom, as we thought necessary for our Independence. That Independence, with daily prayer, gave us this great country and was confirmed and sanctioned by our Constitution with moral rights and fundamental law that included Freedom and Safety for "anyone" that was joined with the spirit of the Bill of Rights; we are AMERICANS BY GOD. We should cherish and preserve and fight when necessary to maintain our Freedom. Most of us know, when you're in the military, you DO what your Commander in Chief directs you to do. Period. Our history shows that we and our allies, continually try to protect the humane rights of other nations. Now, Political BS affects situations that our Military does and IMO has caused unecessary death of our Soldiers; like, "go find the enemy that shot your brother, but don't shoot 'em 'til I tell ya' , even if he's shootin' at you".

I probably should say, "sorry for going on like this", but I can't....AND to those that may think that we, the USA and Allied Forces, lost the Vietnam War, I assure you, it was not due to the fighting Soldiers. Ask your Grandfathers, Fathers, Uncles, or Brothers, Sisters and Cousins who were there or are now in combat. If anyone wants to talk further about this email me. I believe in Peace and I also believe that there is a time that I might have to fight in order to have it.............J

For those of us that breath those truths' date=' we can only hope that our voice and voting will continue to be heard, but it seems that the majority does not have an inkling to the status of our country. [/quote']

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated their duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions - now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. Juvenal, Satire 10.77-81

No guitar sales for me either or any sort of travel. Gas prices here have gone way past $4 a gallon just in the last 2 days. I was at Guitar Center last Tuesday to pick up some guitar polish and strings and the sales guy was telling me how it would be a madhouse there on Memorial Day. He was sorting through mic and guitar cables of all kinds and sizes and said those were going to go for just $10 regardless of length or brand. However, I am just recovering from a recent GAS attack wherein I got 2 pedals - a Dime Bag DB1 Cry Baby from Hell and a Boss DD6 Delay pedal. The high gas prices do not help in a speedy recovery at all.

2 buddies of mine are coming over so we could jam..starting today until tomorrow!

I was at Guitar Center yesterday... it was emptier than I've ever seen it. 4:00 on a Saturday, too.

They had the $10 cables boxes, but there wasn't really anything worth buying in there.

I played a Dot Deluxe, and a Sheraton, and checked out some acoustics. My Martin 000X1 wasn't in stock, for some reason, but I fell in love with a Historic Reissue Gibson J-45. Only $1999!

If you have served/are serving/has family in the service and are reading this' date=' please accept my personal and sincere thanks...

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/Pritong_Galunggong/?action=view&current=StarSpangledBanner.flv[/quote']

I know I'm in Australia but seeing as how we were fighting with America in Vietnam I will accept your thanks too if I may.

Sad reflection on that war but it was actually 30 years after I returned that someone actually thanked me for going..sigh~

Dig

I know I'm in Australia but seeing as how we were fighting with America in Vietnam I will accept your thanks too if I may.

Sad reflection on that war but it was actually 30 years after I returned that someone actually thanked me for going..sigh~

Dig

#-o=D> =D>

Archived