Gibson Brands Forums

Sorry, need pup opinion

SG1973

Hey guts and gals. Im sorry, I know this topic gets worn out, but I really need some advice and I don't really have time to search through posts. I have an 07 honeyburst lp plus, and i play through a peavey clasic 30. I also have a 66 g400, which i play through the same amp. I'm pretty sure they both have the alnico classics, but i prefer the tone of the g400 (overdriven) over the paul. The g400 has a nice, crisp tone coming from the bridge through the overdrive channel. My lp, on the otherhand is alittle muddy for my taste, again the bridge pup through the od channel. I love the tone that it has through the clean channel, even when it's cranked up and breaking up, it's just the od channel. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good all around bridge pup? I'm not looking for anything too hot, just something that is nice and crisp, while maintining nice lows too. I repect all different types of music, so i might play anything from Metallica to Hank jr. Any opinions would be appreciated. thanks!

I aint saying this to sell one..

but .. you sound like you're looking for what I was looking for.

I have p90s in my sheraton, because buckers seemed to muddy for me.

not crisp enough. not enough bite.

I swapped the stock pups for gibsons, out of a les paul custom.

and then swapped the bridge for a 500t because it was supposed to be brighter.

and then wound up with p90s.

but..in my lp studio, the p90s were too much p90.. I still wanted a humbucker.

So, I tried a pup I was going to put in a tele bridge spot.

Kent Armstrong Vintage N.

I'ts got the highs I want, the clarity I want and none of the muddy low end.

It's alnico magnet, 8.4K ohms, vintage style output, with 12 pole pieces all of which are adjustable.

It sings like a bird, and matches well with the p90 I left in the neck position.

I'm old and decrepit now so I only play at home.

I jam a lot with tom petty, zz, beatles, various country stuff, pretty much country pop rock hard rock blues..

my kid has been bugging me to get a little more modern but I have to say most metal pickers use a much

hotter pickup, which isn't really suitable to my ears for most of the stuff I play.

led zeppelin yes, but the hard metal not so much.

my biggest complaint with humbucks usually centers on those two things.. clear highs, balanced mids and articulate lows.

I got 'em and I'm happy.

I have Bare Knuckle (BKP) Emerald pickups in my Les Paul. They are expensive but they are without a doubt the best pickups that I've ever had in any guitar. Emeralds may be a bit hot for your taste (13.7k DC bridge, 10k DC neck) but the BKP Mule may be just what you're looking for.

I have no connection with BKP BTW. I just use them.

I dunno' date=' either a Gibson Burstbucker III or a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II. I'd say a Seymour Duncan JB but that one is kinda hot...[/quote']

As much as I love the Alnico Pros, IMO they're not suitable for Metallica-stuff. Vintage/low output, good for clean to crunchy classic-rock sounds. The SD SH4 JB sounds about right. Part of the SD-Hot Rod-set.

Like you, I play anything and everything in between from The Beatles to Pantera. I have a couple other guitars to do "specialized" work but what I found what works is the Gibson pup combo of the 496R/500T. I know to many ears (especially to blues/classic rock players) this combo may seem horrible and too harsh. But again, I dont only play blues. I need pups that can do most anything. For folks who play blues & classic rock, they would rather prefer a vintage PAF pup which has a lower output and pair that off to a monster Marshall rig. Id rather have a high output pickup that I can back down to clean up rather than a low output pickup that cant seem to go any hotter when I need it to.

IMO, this combo is just as good. The only thing is...you will need to tweak your volume & tone knobs (on the guitar and amp) AND also tweak your effects settings (ie: gain, overdrive, etc) to suit your playing style. I have been able to get some warm (not harsh) bluesy tones just by adjusting the above mentioned things. And i have also been able to go shred with it as well.

Good luck!

We all have preferences and they generally are different. I ended up with the SD Pearly Gates set. The bridge can be clean and sparkly (through a Vox AD50VT) or Angus like.

Lots of the sites have MP3 samples, just use a decent sound card and heaphones to listen to them. Cheap speakers won't do the sound justice. And, find someone who has the set you are considering and try them out if you can.

Sounds like you're looking for a PAF style pickup. This doesn't necessarily help you a lot since there are thousands on the market with different interpretations of what a PAF should sound like.

I'm not sure what your budget is but these would be good options:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59niclalpah.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfatpafbohu1.html

GFS pickups are easily worth twice the price you buy them for. I have one of the Fat PAF's on one of my guitars and it fits the description of what you're looking for but is a little on the modern side. A friend has the Vintage 59's and they are more classic sounding.

I also have a set of Manlius Fat Dianes in my LP. They are great, handwound pickups for not a lot of $$$. Most comparable hand wound pickups would be much more expensive. And Mick is a real easy guy to work with. He'll make a pickup to match your specific tastes.

http://www.manliusguitar.com/Humbuckers.html

There are always Duncans and DiMarzios. Their sites do a good job of describing what their pickups do and they give sound samples.

There are too many pickups and too little time but the above should give you a couple of things to look at.

Id rather have a high output pickup that I can back down to clean up rather than a low output pickup that cant seem to go any hotter when I need it to.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I just didn't know how to put it into words. thanks

While were on the subject, why does my g400 have a brighter tone? The only thing I can think of is the thinner body, because other than that, they are pretty much the same guitar, as far as hardware anyway.

An SG-style guitar usually has more 'edge' than a Les Paul, as you surmise, due to the thin mahogany body. The difference is probably less pronounced on Epis since the G-400 is about 1/8" thicker than an SG and the Epi LP doesn't have the solid maple cap; however the LP is still more massy than the G-400 so that will make a difference.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I just didn't know how to put it into words. thanks

Gotcha. The pickups in my PV Wolfgang are hot and I roll them back and forth all the time, it works great. Just know that having a hot pickup rolled back doesn't particulaly make it sound like a lower output PAF at full volume. It's a trade off. Not saying either is a mistake. You just can't have everything. There are plenty of hot pickups out there though. You shouldn't have a hard time finding something you like.

Good luck on your search.

Hey guts and gals. Im sorry' date=' I know this topic gets worn out, but I really need some advice and I don't really have time to search through posts. I have an 07 honeyburst lp plus, and i play through a peavey clasic 30. I also have a 66 g400, which i play through the same amp. I'm pretty sure they both have the alnico classics, but i prefer the tone of the g400 (overdriven) over the paul. The g400 has a nice, crisp tone coming from the bridge through the overdrive channel. My lp, on the otherhand is alittle muddy for my taste, again the bridge pup through the od channel. I love the tone that it has through the clean channel, even when it's cranked up and breaking up, it's just the od channel. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good all around bridge pup? I'm not looking for anything too hot, just something that is nice and crisp, while maintining nice lows too. I repect all different types of music, so i might play anything from Metallica to Hank jr. Any opinions would be appreciated. thanks![/quote']

Gibson Dirty Fingers is a really great bridge pickup IMO.

Youre welcome. just as hbucker said, dont expect a high output pup rolled down to sound like a vintage PAF at full tilt. its a trade off. When playing certain styles or music, there are times that I do not want that vintage PAF tone. Sounds crazy but its not the tone Im looking for when Im playing Metallica, Slayer, or Disturbed. Similarly, there are times when I DO want that tone but its really quite an impossible feat to demand such versatility from a pair of pups without resorting to other external means of obtaining the kind of sound you want in a specific situation. Some purists may vehemently object to the use of amp modeling effects or other tone altering technologies, but I use them since I dont have the $$$ to buy all the guitars I need to produce certain tonal characteristics.

Archived