Gibson Brands Forums

MM-50 Mandolin.

TNFrank

I recently started playing mandolin and bought an MM-30 Epi. I've set it up and it plays rather well for only costing $150 bucks. I'd like to stay "brand loyal" so I'm looking at the MM-50 as my upgrade mando. I've read that it has a carved spruce top and either a maple or mohogony carved back with either laminated maple sides, solid maple sides or mohogony sides, so which is it. Also, how do these mandos rate to other medium priced Pacrim mandos like the Morgan Monroe, Michael Kelly and Kentucky brands? Thanks.

Not much mandolin discussion goes on in this forum. Pity. ](*,) Anyways, I suggest you

post your question on Mandolincafe.com's board. It's partially sponsored by Gibson. I found

it when the mandolin bug bit me about 3 years ago. I'm over it now, but may get bit

again.

Well run site. Watch your language and your women and you'll be all right. Time was

posters were thicker'n bugs on a bumper in June. One post will surely get you 14

different responses from 12 different people.

Tell Fatt Dad I said, 'Hey.'

Hope that helps.

LOL, I got banned form the MandloinCafe for some reason. A couple guys and I were having a debate on "theory vs natural, god given ability" and the powers that be saw fit to kick me off without even letting me know. I think you've got to be born with the gift of music or all the theory in the world won't help, they saw it differently but that's neither here nor there. I'm simply wanting to know the construction of the MM-50 since I've read that's it's being built a couple different ways. I'd like to know more on what the back and sides are made of. Thanks.

Epiphone's product pages indicate "Solid Spruce" top and "Maple body". I can only

surmise, given that 'solid' is an adjective that increases the value of the instrument

and their choice to not use it, it means lamenate.

The maple ought to give you a brighter tone. Not to mention the fancy, dancy scroll.

Somehow, "The Epiphone" just doesn't sound right. I think "Epiphone" should stand

alone... but I suspect creating the illusion of "The Gibson" is what they are after.

Good luck.

If it's laminate at $500 bucks then I guess I need to look for something else. Maybe a Michael Kelly Legacy or Fender 63S or even one of the Washburns. I really want a solid mando, not a laminate. Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I did find/play a Bean Blossom BM200 NT at a local shop over the weekend BUT the guy wants full retail price for it($599) and I can order the same mando on the web for $420 so his price is pretty much a joke. Also, the MK Legacy Festival Pack at $499 is looking pretty good too. MK has some well built, solid wood mandos. Now sure which way I'm going. I just wish the MM-50 was solid wood, then I'd not think twice about pickin' it up.

If you want an all-solid wood mandolin with some connection to Gibson, check out the Flatiron F-2 mandolins they're importing from China. They may be a bit pricier than you're looking for, but they seem to be getting good reviews. Regardless, if you buy from an online dealer, make sure it's one that will at least check/adjust the setup before they ship it to you.

Archived