Gibson Brands Forums

My new 1994 Sheraton - Under Contruction

I found this Sheri on Craigslist and picked it up for $300. The Body and Neck are in excellent shape but the hardware was corroded to the max because the previous owner let it sit in his garage out in the open for as long as he had it. I didn't care about the condition of the hardware because I was planning on upgrading the one that appealed to me anyway. I liked the fact that it is 14 years old and made in Korea at the Samick factory. The grain in the maple is not overstated and the finish is a 9.5. When i got it home I immediately striped it down and took it to my luthier to have the frets leveled crowned and dressed and since he manufactures guitars, I had him buff it out on his buffing machine. This is my first experience upgrading an import (I've upgraded lots of USA made guitars) and ran into some problems with replacing some of the hardware, such as the bridge and stopbar are narrower - 72mm and 80mm (mine) vs. 74mm and 82mm (new stuff) and the full size pots will not fit through the f-holes (even though the guy I got them from insisted they would) - now he's redoing a harness for me with Alpha mini-pots and switchcraft switch and jack. I've ordered some custom made pickguards and will mount them using a Gibson ES-335 pickgard bracket. As I progress with the refurb, I'll post more pictures until I reach the finished product. The pictures are posted at this link

www.photobucket.com/swhttn

P.S. Today I went to Guitar Center to look at and play a Gibson ES-335. They have a nice sunburst that will be reduced by $500 on Memorial Day - but, the workmanship on the Sherri is just as good and better in some areas, and when I get the new electronics and pups in, I believe it will play and sound just as good as the Gibson and oh, the sale price is $2,300!

nice looking guitar..excellent project! I think you're going about it the right way.

just got new bridge and tail for my samick sheri too.. gonna mount them today.

yours and mine are about the same age.. these babies hold up for sure!

and yeah.. keep posting pics!

TWANG

nice looking guitar..excellent project! I think you're going about it the right way.

just got new bridge and tail for my samick sheri too.. gonna mount them today.

yours and mine are about the same age.. these babies hold up for sure!

and yeah.. keep posting pics!

TWANG

Where did you get the stopbar? I resorted to having mine replated. Jerrymac on the forum sold me his last 72mm bridge. Coincidently enough he and I are neighbors (Thanks again Jerry!).

I hope this isn't a stupid question' date=' but when you install the new wiring harness, how do you distinguish between the tone pots & the volume pots?[/quote']

Hey Billybob - the tone pots have the orange capacitors on them.

"The stupid question is the one that is not asked"

I sell 'em. Bought them for mine, too, along with a set for a customer.

They come out of WDMusicsupply, they're the distributor.

Only a few left by the way.. they are discontinued.

Not enough of these Samicks around to justify production.

According to WD they literally broke the mold.

The tail is a Gotoh.. the Bridge is the only repro of the original at all.

The gold is very nice.. wish I could get a pic that showed that.

Just noticed from your avatar pic that there is a Gibson style pickguard bracket,

the one with the rod, rather than the flat bar as is common on Epiphones.

Not sure if that is standard issue, but obviously should be mated up with a

nice tortoise shell pickguard at some point.

Just noticed from your avatar pic that there is a Gibson style pickguard bracket' date='

the one with the rod, rather than the flat bar as is common on Epiphones.

Not sure if that is standard issue, but obviously should be mated up with a

nice tortoise shell pickguard at some point.[/quote']

Yeah, I just installed the bracket over the weekend, as part of my on going upgrade. The screw hole doesn't line up on the new bracket so I filled the old hole with a scrap piece of mahogany and glue, then drop filled some gloss finish over the repair, drilled a new hole and there you have it. I filed down the black mounting piece about 2mm just to reduce it's height a little. Gibson glues the pickguard to the bracket. Since I like to change pickguards all the time, I'm using glue dots, which can be removed and replaced - you can find them at any crafts store or on-line - slim profile dots.

Archived