Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aubie923

LP tone control

I purchased a new Epi LP Standard + top about 3 weeks ago. After spending a fair amount of time becoming aquainted with my new girl, I am starting to find some things that need to be addressed. Is the stock tone control a little less than desirable on anyone else's LP? Is it possible that I have a bad pot for some reason? I am thinking about just replacing all of the elctronics with the LP kit from stew mac. Anyone else have any experience with this? Also has anyone tried the "Golden Age" pick ups from stew mac? I may also go ahead and change to something a little less muddy while I have it disassembled.

Thanks in advance,

What's wrong with the tone pots? I didn't find anything wrong with mine, except that

they came supplied with a ceramic disc (.022uf) instead of a Sprague Orange Drop (polyester)

which is the standard vintage Gibson tone cap.. that is..besides the older vintage "Bumblebees"

(Paper/oil) which are ridiculously expensive these days, but might possess that "mojo" that

you are looking for.

Unless you are having scratching noises when you turn the pots, changing them

out to another set isn't going to be that much different. Try change the tone caps,

it's a lot easier. The neck hbucker that comes with the EPI LP (Classic 57 H)

has a pretty good tone.

As far as the Golden Age p_ups, they are probably equivalent to the

( Vintage 59s) and not bad for the price. The only thing is that they still come as

two wire, and you might want to go 4-wire for coil splitting in the future with push-pull

tone pots. You can buy just the 500k tone pots.

Don't leave GFS out of the picture for new pickups and parts.

I got some new pickups as well as some pushpull pots from them and the orange Sprague caps. Very pleased with them.

I got the FAT PAT pickups, but they have many other humbuckers available.

If you get the pots, don't get the extra long Les Paul ones. I did and they were to long for my Epi LP Standard.

I still have them (I know I should just return them, but I know somewhere down the road I will have a project that will be just perfect for them =P~ )

The 500k tone controls with humbuckers on a Les Paul sound a bit different than the 250k on Fenders and Squiers, that might be one reason your LP sounds odd to you.

That aside, IMO the standard humbuckers on my Epiphones sounded dull with the tone rolled back, not so with GFS.

I think what I am trying to say is that there just doesn't seem to be alot of adjustment when you roll the knob back. Sorry I don't think I made that real clear. This is the 3rd electric that I have owned. I have a tele and used to own an older Ibanez Artist. These are the only 2 instruments that I have to compare it to, besides playing other guitars in music stores. Thanks for all of your input.

I think what I am trying to say is that there just doesn't seem to be alot of adjustment when you roll the knob back. Sorry I don't think I made that real clear. This is the 3rd electric that I have owned. I have a tele and used to own an older Ibanez Artist. These are the only 2 instruments that I have to compare it to' date=' besides playing other guitars in music stores. Thanks for all of your input. [/quote']

So you probably have logrithmic taper 500K pots. There is also linear taper.

One is 'A" and the other is "B" and that should be stamped on the pot case somewhere.

A - Audio or Log taper

B - Linear taper

My pots are "B"500K on the Epi LP Custom.

Usually Epiphone (and Gibson for that matter) installs linear (#-o pots for the volume and log (A) pots for the tone controls. This is as it should be; you might want to check that somebody didn't substitute linears on your tones as these would work strangely.

You can also consider substituting a larger cap such as a .033µF which will give you a wider range of adjustment; you'll be able to roll off more highs. Nevermind about different 'brands' of caps, that's just guitar player voodoo BS.

You may be just unaccustomed to the fact that humbucker pickups are always a bit bassier-sounding than single coils as you are probably used to in your Tele; not that strange that you may find the overall range of tones to be smaller.

As far as the Golden Age p_ups' date=' they are probably equivalent to the

( Vintage 59s) and not bad for the price. The only thing is that they still come as

two wire, and you might want to go 4-wire for coil splitting in the future with push-pull

tone pots. You can buy just the 500k tone pots.[/quote']

+1 on the Golden Age pups. I put them in my 71 LP Deluxe (which had already been sloppily routed for humbuckers before I acquired the guitar) and they sound great. Plus, my local shop was able to wire them to allow for coil splitting as well. Well worth the $$, IMHO.