Gibson Brands Forums

My Jr is making a lot of noise?

I have a JR with the hammod dse125, did the gold mods, love the sound but now all of a sudden it's making a static sound, gets louder as I turn up the volume, retubed, still no luck, amp was quiet as a mouse for the last year or so, any thoughts as to where to start looking? It seemed to start after it sat for a month.

Probably a bad(cold) solder joint somewhere in your mods........it held for a while then maybe a bang or a bump and it let go. I'd reflow all of the solder connections first and see if that solves your problem. It could also be the pot.....thats an easy fix as well.

My volume knob has a scratchy sound as well. Where can I get a new pot-better than stock? What do I sak for? Thanks

The stock volume pot is a 1Meg audio taper pot and it's a pretty low quality part. You may have to enlarge the hole for a better quality larger pot like an Alpha or CTS.

Oops....we must have posted at the same time Twang! Sorry for doubling up!

I have the loop d junior effects loop in it with a high quality pot. I think it may be a solder problem although I've built many effects pedals over the years and I think I may have done a good job, I'll check again. Its almost as if it has a ground loop issue. I'll poke around some of the resistors with my trusty chop sticks when I get home.

I have the loop d junior effects loop in it with a high quality pot. I think it may be a solder problem although I've built many effects pedals over the years and I think I may have done a good job' date=' I'll check again. Its almost as if it has a ground loop issue. I'll poke around some of the resistors with my trusty chop sticks when I get home.[/quote']

It could be as simple as the connection on the loop jack! Clean that and make sure when you are not using the loop it's making good contact! That's my call now that you told us about the loop jack.

yeah I forgot about the drilling though lay..

be careful doing that. don't forget to put a tape collar around the end of the bit.. about half an inch in from the tip.. so

the drill bit wont pull into the chassis.

The loops been in for months, but what connection are you referring to? The ground connection to the chassis?

I'll give it a look tonite. Thanks again guys. Also, I removed the board when I drilled the hole to avoid any mishaps.

The loops been in for months, but what connection are you referring to? The ground connection to the chassis?

I'll give it a look tonite. Thanks again guys. Also, I removed the board when I drilled the hole to avoid any mishaps.[/quote

Effects loops are notorious for causing intermittent problems like that. When the don't get frequent use the contacts can oxidize and cause problems. If you have some contact cleaner spray it on a jack and plug it in and out a bunch of times to clean the jack contacts.

Got it, removed the plug that came with the loop d and soldered direct to the pot from the loop, quiet as a mouse now. I assume you are right about the oxidation. Should be fine from now on I hope, I really like this amp, I play through a peavey windsor studio a lot and find myself going back to the Jr. it just sounds great. I may try to mod the studio soon, I'd like to achieve the bass I get from my Jr from that amp. But thats for another thread.

Thanks for all the help!

Got it' date=' removed the plug that came with the loop d and soldered direct to the pot from the loop, quiet as a mouse now. I assume you are right about the oxidation. Should be fine from now on I hope, I really like this amp, I play through a peavey windsor studio a lot and find myself going back to the Jr. it just sounds great. I may try to mod the studio soon, I'd like to achieve the bass I get from my Jr from that amp. But thats for another thread.

Thanks for all the help!

[/quote']

Great! Glad you got the gremlin...it could be oxidation...it could be a bad contact...but it's in the loop jack for sure which is what I thought. I got a Mesa Boogie preamp for REALLY short money with the same problem because I knew what it was! $6 woth of parts and it was like new....keep that in mind....there are some great deals out there sometimes!

Archived