Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Cherry Lmtd Edition

clashman

Hey All-

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on this one. I recently picked up

one of the above items. I really dig the retro look of it. I wanted to

change the tuners to a more 'vintage' look. It has grovers on there now.

Can just the 'knob' be changed out on grovers? I was going to put a white

"butterbean" on there but I dunno if that would work.

I would put kluson's on there but I am not one to drill into the headstock (but I am not adverse to trying).

Is that a real difficult switch? Just fill the old holes and put on the new one's?

I am getting the nut and bridge changed out soon for bone so I thought I'd do it then.

I have the same guitar with the same cherry finish. It's much better looking in person the the pictures online.

Sorry I don't know if it's possible to swap tuning buttons for butter beans and drilling is not something I'd try on my own either. I'm very happy with the Grovers that are on there.

I'm interested in finding out how replacing the nut and bridge affects the sound. Let me know.

Cheers!

Hey Clashman,

I recognize that moniker. Nice to see you here, brother. Can you post a pic for us? Maybe one now, then a before and after when you get the work done. If you don't have a guy, check out Bob Colosi at www.guitarsaddles.com. He's on the coast in GA. Don't know how far from you, but worth checking out.

Later, bro

Hey Clashman' date=' If you don't have a guy, check out Bob Colosi at www.guitarsaddles.com. He's on the coast in GA. Don't know how far from you, but worth checking out.

[/quote']

I'll second Mike's recommendation. I've outfitted 3 guitars with Bob's products, including using his West African Hard Ivory pieces on my Breedlove custom shop Revival 000 slot-headed 12-fretter, and I've been not only satisfied with the products, but equally satisfied with the quality of Bob's service. In each case, I've received the products within 3 days of placing the order by phone, and I live all the way in Texas!

Dugly

Archived