Gibson Brands Forums

Just got a Les Paul Ultra II-Some questions

Ivorydom

Hello to all of you, it's great to be here!

Last week I got a brand new Epiphone Les Paul UltraII and I have a couple of questions.

First of all I would like to know what gauge of strings does this guitar come with from the factory. It seems to me like it is a .10 set but I'm not quite sure. If I change it to a lighter set should I setup again my guitar?

Moreover, I have noticed that my guitar goes out of tune very easily, especially on the G and B strings, even with a single whole tone bend. I suppose this is normal since the strings are new and it will get much better after playing for a while isn't it so?(I have been playing with guitars with Floyd Rose double locking tremolos for a while so this seems a bit "back to the past" thing for me).

Nice to meet you all, and thank you in avance for any reply!

Welcome! Now where's the pics of that Ultra II, all talk and no images huh? O:)

The factory strings are usually 10-46 and you'd better change then asap.

If you change to a lighter set you might need a minor adjustment but not necessarily. IMO the 10-46 set is the lightest set you can use on 24.75" scale Gibson type guitars, though...

Either the nut or the bridge saddles are binding on the strings - the string doesn't move freely back to its original length after a bend, or when you have tuned to pitch the string has extra tension between the post and the nut.

Put some graphite (pencil lead) into the nut slots and check that the strings are not stuck in the bridge saddle grooves.

If they are too tight for the strings to sit there freely you may need to file them a bit for a better fit. If that's the case, ask for further assistance before doing it.

If that doesn't help, the strings might be just slipping from the tuning posts, or knowing Epiphone factory strings they might stretch until they break - so change the strings already :)

Hi there and thank you for the reply!

The factory strings are usually 10-46 and you'd better change then asap.

If that doesn't help' date=' the strings might be just slipping from the tuning posts, or knowing Epiphone factory strings they might stretch until they break - so change the strings already :)

[/quote']

Why do you suggest to change the strings ASAP? I was going to change them to something lighter like a 9 set for easier bends, would you advise against that? I am going to check the guitar although after playing it for a while the strings kept the tuning much better.

If the guitar has been in the store for any length of tome, it has probably been played by a bunch of people.

I just bought a G****n Les Paul Studio. At home and on my first gig, I wasan't really happy with the sound I was getting. It came with 10-46 strings. I changed them out to 11-48 and I am now very happy. The heavier gauge does affect your ability to bend to some degree, but the overall sound is much fuller.

I am the only one who plays my guitar(S) so a fresh set of strings is a good way to start.

If the guitar has been in the store for any length of tome' date=' it has probably been played by a bunch of people.

I just bought a G****n Les Paul Studio. At home and on my first gig, I wasan't really happy with the sound I was getting. It came with 10-46 strings. I changed them out to 11-48 and I am now very happy. The heavier gauge does affect your ability to bend to some degree, but the overall sound is much fuller.

I am the only one who plays my guitar(S) so a fresh set of strings is a good way to start.[/quote']

For this part, I was lucky. The guitar was packed in its box and it was brand new when I got it, and the strings were brand new as well, that's why I am suspecting that the tuning problems occur because the strings are very fresh...

For this part' date=' I was lucky. The guitar was packed in its box and it was brand new when I got it, and the strings were brand new as well, that's why I am suspecting that the tuning problems occur because the strings are very fresh...[/quote']

They may very well be fresh.

But you never know how long that "new" box it came in has been sitting around. I bought my G400 in late Nov. 2006.

It was pulled out of it's box at GC having never been played by anyone at the store.

When I got home and looked up the serial number, I found that it had been made in Feb. 2006!

So those strings had been on the guitar for over 9 months !.

I changed them right after that. I was glad I did.

My Ultra II came with a new set D'Addarios on it but......

+1 on restringing most new guitars. The factory strings are not high quality and you can believe they are almost always past their prime. I haven't dropped a couple grand on a new guitar so the the high $s may have quality strings on them. I always request new strings when I buy a new guitar. If the salesman or the store wants the sell, strings are a minor cost to lose a sell for.

Thank you very much for the replies guys!

Ok, here's what I observed. The G and B strings get very easily out of tune when I make a bend and I came across a behavior I only remember from my old cheap Samick strat-type guitar! When I try to tune them again I get that characteristic "gling" sound from the tuners on the headstock...

I hope you understand what I mean, I try to tune the string and this sound is heard at some point when I turn the tuner.

I hope this is not a problem, I always had this behavior with my old Samick but this was a 200 euros guitar...

"Ok, here's what I observed. The G and B strings get very easily out of tune when I make a bend and I came across a behavior I only remember from my old cheap Samick strat-type guitar! When I try to tune them again I get that characteristic "gling" sound from the tuners on the headstock..."

the strings are binding in the nut, try some graphite powder (pencil) and if that does not work, you will need to have

a tech make some minor adjustments...not uncommon with new guitars...

Im not quite sure how to post pictures, but I gave it a shot..

anyway I baught a factory 2nd ultra 2 off of ebay. I payed $230 less than the $700 list price I experienced the same thing and a little pencil graphite in the nut and I was a bendin fool with no tuning problems whatsoever, this is definately your issue, there is no way it could be the saddles for the hardwares on this model are upper end.. grover, tune-omatic locking stop and bridge.

Archived