Gibson Brands Forums

another supernova went for 1600!!!!!

sdgails

on ebay' date=' these are hot!!! wow[/quote']

Don't believe everything you read...sometimes those "best offers" don't pan out. or aren't what they seem....and why should they?...those little scams are used to establish a price away from E Bay...someone wants to sell one of those pieces of **** to some yokel so he says "hey look, one sold on E Bay for seventy trillion dollars...

here's some reality for you, Noelette-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Noel-Gallagher-Supernova-Guitar_W0QQitemZ230252976566QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The truly interesting part is that it seems the buyer's feedback all seems to be from buying foreign items on International E Bay sites...now that's interesting...he seems to be French...uh huh.

union jack model is the fetcher. ive seen a bunch go gor 1200 plus in the last year

There are no doubt stupid people who will do stupid things with their money and buying guitars to pretend to be other stupid people who were in bar bands that got lucky doesn't surprise me but...as I've said before..the guitar itself isn't worth but about $500 on its best day...it's that union flag and the Oapiss connection that the kids are paying for.. and it sounds to me like you're one of those kids...someday you'll get out of high school and this will all be an embarrassment to you and you'll say "why shucks' date=' I was such a dunderhead" or something to that effect. Until then if I want something wrapped in a union flag I'll go with a Spice Girl every time. Trust me, I've been doing the guitar speculation thing for a long time...That guitar will never be a collectible as a guitar, only as Oapiss memorbillia... and in a few years they'll go the way of the beanie babies and every other passing fad.. Oapiss will never be bigger than the Spice Girls..

[img']http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk108/MrGregzy/Geri_times.jpg[/img]

Such haters. Oasis, whether you like them or not, sold well and were/are still popular.

I frankly couldn't even tell who the hell Zakk Wylde is and Epi still makes those sticker-covered guitars.

Lay off the hate... you'll live longer.

Another wow inserted here.

The guitar is worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it, then when they can't sell it who cares? Love the age related comments though, really helps the discussion.

That's just sad.

You're right... I will go forth and stop enjoying the music I listen to and stop playing the guitars I like. You have tought me a serious lesson and I thank you for making me see the light. I question how I got so far in life without your wise words. We should ALL listen to this guy and have no other opinions other than his, let this be a lesson for us all... The word of this guy is scripture and should be adhered to!

You're right... I will go forth and stop enjoying the music I listen to and stop playing the guitars I like. You have tought me a serious lesson and I thank you for making me see the light. I question how I got so far in life without your wise words. We should ALL listen to this guy and have no other opinions other than his' date=' let this be a lesson for us all... The word of this guy is scripture and should be adhered to![/quote']

You can listen to and enjoy their music without attempting to live vicariously through them. If you like those particular guitars fine, but do you like those guitars because you like those guitars or because you want to "be like Noel" (who by the way has dissed Epiphone guitars as being "poor men's Gibsons" and he's now rich so he only plays Gibsons)? If so then I'd have to say you need to grow up and become your own person. I own two Hofner 500/1 basses and I love playing them but I get annoyed when someone says "oh, that's Paul McCartney's bass"..no, McCartney plays a bass like this, this is my bass"..and I love the Eric Clapton 000-28 Martin but I won't buy one because of that "name" on it and Clapton is probably the only rock star who would know my name if he saw me in heaven. As far as their value goes their greatest premium is based upon the Oasis connection. As guitars they're worth somewhere between a used Dot and a used Sheraton. If someone came in my shop and wanted to sell it I'd give them 30% of the original list price because I know anyone who isn't an Oasis fan isn't interested in them. The union flag model which to me looks like it escaped from an Austin Powers film is a novelty at best and will because it's a novelty have some premium. The emulation and imitation thing I do expect from adolescents as they develop who they are as individuals and they do seek role models and sometimes those aren't positive role models. As they mature they become their own people...sometimes...other times they build shrines to their heroes and that is just sad when you're well into your thirties and are seeking identification and connection with some wanker pop star (or film star or sports star) by buying the crap they endorse...the guy who killed John Lennon was a fan who idolized and emulated Lennon and when he couldn't deal with being who he actually was he killed Lennon because in his sick twisted mind he was commiting suicide...like I said, make mine a Spice Girl.

Blimey. Al, have you stopped taking your medication again?

More seriously, you are fundamentally right with all your points.

1. Of course those novelty finishes are over-valued. Most, but not all, of the purchasers are willing to pay more because of the association with a player they admire.

2. Oasis are a highly derivative band who got lucky. Their is nothing original whatsoever about their songwriting, playing, image, or boorish behaviour. Those of us old enough to remember the beatles/kinks/stones in the late 60s can only smile. The difference was, they were actually developing the form. Oasis just recreated it and marketed it to another generation; they haven't taken it anywhere new.

3. Peoples' perception of their heroes usually changes as they grow older and wiser. Some people manage to grow older without getting wiser.

Save me a Spice Girl Al.

You can listen to and enjoy their music without attempting to live vicariously through them. If you like those particular guitars fine' date=' but do you like those guitars because you like those guitars or because you want to "be like Noel" (who by the way has dissed Epiphone guitars as being "poor men's Gibsons" and he's now rich so he only plays Gibsons)? If so then I'd have to say you need to grow up and become your own person. I own two Hofner 500/1 basses and I love playing them but I get annoyed when someone says "oh, that's Paul McCartney's bass"..no, McCartney plays a bass like this, this is my bass"..and I love the Eric Clapton 000-28 Martin but I won't buy one because of that "name" on it and Clapton is probably the only rock star who would know [i']my[/i] name if he saw me in heaven. As far as their value goes their greatest premium is based upon the Oasis connection. As guitars they're worth somewhere between a used Dot and a used Sheraton. If someone came in my shop and wanted to sell it I'd give them 30% of the original list price because I know anyone who isn't an Oasis fan isn't interested in them. The union flag model which to me looks like it escaped from an Austin Powers film is a novelty at best and will because it's a novelty have some premium. The emulation and imitation thing I do expect from adolescents as they develop who they are as individuals and they do seek role models and sometimes those aren't positive role models. As they mature they become their own people...sometimes...other times they build shrines to their heroes and that is just sad when you're well into your thirties and are seeking identification and connection with some wanker pop star (or film star or sports star) by buying the crap they endorse...the guy who killed John Lennon was a fan who idolized and emulated Lennon and when he couldn't deal with being who he actually was he killed Lennon because in his sick twisted mind he was commiting suicide...like I said, make mine a Spice Girl.

...errrm, Ok! I just like the pretty colours, they're sparkly!

I own two Hofner 500/1 basses and I love playing them

LOL' date=' but would you like them if Paul McCartney didn't play one. [b']Paul McCartney didn't buy a Hoffner 500/1 because he thought it was a FINE instrument[/b]. He bought it because in his words it was the only [leftie] bass that didn't look "daft" and it was cheap.

Paul even favored a RICK bass since 1965. Using it only sparingly... and restarted using it in 1988ish when Elvis Costello mentioned he should use it on "Veronica".

Dont be a hypocrite.

Blimey. Al' date=' have you stopped taking your medication again?

More seriously, you are fundamentally right with all your points.

1. Of course those novelty finishes are over-valued. Most, but not all, of the purchasers are willing to pay more because of the association with a player they admire.

2. Oasis are a highly derivative band who got lucky. Their is nothing original whatsoever about their songwriting, playing, image, or boorish behaviour. Those of us old enough to remember the beatles/kinks/stones in the late 60s can only smile. The difference was, they were actually developing the form. Oasis just recreated it and marketed it to another generation; they haven't taken it anywhere new.

3. Peoples' perception of their heroes usually changes as they grow older and wiser. Some people manage to grow older without getting wiser.

Save me a Spice Girl Al. [/quote']

If you're thirty six years old and have a wall full of the VERY SAME but different colored guitars endorsed by but not used by your favorite band member (no, Noel doesn't get to be called a guitarist ) then it isn't me that has a problem and needs medication. You can have Posh.

LOL- me likes the pretty colors!!! AL--YOUR REALLY going out of your way on this thread--finding spice girl photos, posting musician hate. People like them -- DEAL WITH IT :P/ P.S.,- epis are poor mans gibsons genius

and NOEL'S YOUR DADDY

LOL' date=' but would you like them if Paul McCartney didn't play one. [b']Paul McCartney didn't buy a Hoffner 500/1 because he thought it was a FINE instrument[/b]. He bought it because in his words it was the only [leftie] bass that didn't look "daft" and it was cheap.

Paul even favored a RICK bass since 1965. Using it only sparingly... and restarted using it in 1988ish when Elvis Costello mentioned he should use it on "Veronica".

Dont be a hypocrite.

But you see, that's my point. I didn't buy my Hofners because Paul McCartney plays one., I bought mine the first time because I got one for a ridiculously LOW price ($150) back about 1975 when I was looking for a light-weight short scale bass to record with..and then later I bought two others. I paid $900 for one which was a 1959 Pre-Cavern which isn't anything like what Paul used and $1200 for the other which was a 1996 fortieth anniversary Hofner which doesn't have a single McCartney reference on it and that's not exactly spending a fortune and since I've owned other Hofners besides the 500/1's I'm well aware that they aren't "fine" instruments and I'd say 80% of 500/1's older than twenty years are in need of neck re-sets. Oh, and when I was sixteen I wanted a violin bass because one of my heroes used one...but it wasn't Macca...it was Felix Papalardi and his bass was a Gibson EB-1..which is what the Hofner 500/1 is a copy of...McCartney basses? you left out the Fender Jazz Bass he used on Abbey Road and McCartney (got one of them too) the Yamaha...the Wal...the Kay.(don't no got any of them)..so you see, if I were trying to be like Paul I'd have a wall full of a lot of different basses. If you want to know when I started thinking I could play my Hofner out without feeling icky it was when I saw Will Lee (Letterman's Band) use one and said "if he feels comfortable using it why shouldn't I? " so I guess I'm actually emulating Will Lee.

p.49-50 "beatles gear"...the 1st Hofner 500/1 was almost definitely custom ordered and made for McCartney after he saw

a RH version in the shop in Hamburg...

I do kinda question that...he was a Hamburg bar band bassist at the time living hand to mouth and bought the Hofner because he could afford it...I don't know that he'd pay to custom order something or even have the money to do so at that point. The 500/1 had been around since 1956 in one form or another and was probably available in left-handed...he may have waited for one to arrive from the factory but custom-ordered??? no, I don't think so.

OK I went and re-read that passage...and I think what is meant is that he "special-ordered" the Hofner. The cost for a factory to set up to make a one off, left-handed bass for a guy playing in a dive in Hamburg would be cost-prohibitive. Hofner probably made a left-handed version, they were just hard to come by.

LOL- me likes the pretty colors!!! AL--YOUR REALLY going out of your way on this thread--finding spice girl photos' date=' posting musician hate. People like them -- DEAL WITH IT :P/ P.S.,- epis are poor mans gibsons genius

and NOEL'S YOUR DADDY[/quote']

Don't forget your change of panties when you go to that concert, Noelette.

Archived