Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Firebird Studio - Mini Humbucker Swap?

geetar playr

Hey there, just found a Epi Firebird on Ebay...great price, with case.

However....it does not have mini humbuckers, and at some point I want to put these in (was going to swap out the stock pups anyway...).

Now I've seen on SD's forum that you have to make custom mounting rings to get a mini humbucker in the humbucker space?:-k

Any comments/advice? This replacement isn't going to happen overnight....but just wanted to know my options here.

Does anyone even sell custom mounting rings for a pup swap like this?

OK, thanks!

What's the point with puttin' in Minihums? You have much better oportunities and choises with regular Hums' date=' or?[/quote']

True, but the sound of a minibucker is different from regular humbucker. More bite and twang.

Sort of like the difference between strat-SC or P90. Both Single Coil, but very different tone.

That's a pretty cool idea; it'll definitely make it sound more like a Firebird V as opposed to a 'Firebird-shaped G-400'.

Yes, you will have to make your own pickup rings. If it was me I'd cobble some up out of pickguard material, with the minis offset in the rings for the widest possible pickup-to-pickup spacing, if you get what I mean.

Another 'quick and dirty' option would be to use a regular mini-humbucker mounting ring (Allparts) and then just cover the rest of the space with a strip of black plastic screwed into the remaining two holes left from mounting the original humbucker ring.

What's the point with puttin' in Minihums? You have much better oportunities and choises with regular Hums' date=' or?[/quote']

Here's an example of a classic Firebird solo from Allen Collins. This is a very unique tone he gets here. For anyone interested, I saw on a Skynyrd forum that he used a P90 in the bridge and a mini hum in the neck.

[/color]

Thanks for the advice re: mounting rings. Looks like I just gotta measure, cut, and drill into the pickguard material (for the cover), right? Apparently Allen Collins did this with his main Firebird, using an SG pickguard for mounting rings in neck for the mini.

OK, thanks. I guess from the responses, this should work out just fine. Aaah, another guitar project to indulge in.

Thanks

Looks like I just gotta measure' date=' cut, and drill into the pickguard material (for the cover), right?[/quote']

Yeah, basically cut out two rectangular pieces (I'd use some B/W/B laminate) the same size as the existing rings. Then cut holes in them for the mini humbuckers and drill the four mounting holes and the two holes for the pickup adjustment screws. I'd offset the minihumbucker holes so that the rhythm pickup ends up as close as possible to the fingerboard and the treble pickup ends up as close as possible to the bridge. You might also have to rout the wood a teensy bit to clear the pickup tabs.

i can see the merit in using a p-90 in the neck position. the stock humbucker too much for it and you get little note separation. i guess allen collins musta known.

refering to a previous post topic dealing with buying a studio, - the firebird studio amazing. the intonation (steinberg 40:1 tuners) is the best i've ever had. never goes out of tune from playing - only changes in humidity. two things i can live with but wish were different are 1) the balance is top heavy due to the huge headstick and 2) the too fuzzy neck pick up. otherwise, the studio records well (hence the name?) and the chicks dig it. (maybe they like huge headstocks, i guess size matters....)

only the white and worn cherry available, the vs looks great, though. buy the e-bay one and refinish it.

Here's an example of a classic Firebird solo from Allen Collins. This is a very unique tone he gets here. For anyone interested' date=' I saw on a Skynyrd forum that he used a P90 in the bridge and a mini hum in the neck.

[/color]

Thanks. I enjoyed that. I saw he had his guitar strap wrapped over the body. Does this help preventing a neck-heavy guitar from tilting over?

Yeah, kool that Allen Collins sound, just in my taste.

I really enjoy the sound of my minihums too for their clean properties. But I think many younger guys who buy these Birds will be dissappointed on them coz the pups are rather weak and they don't produce distorsion easily. But I like em...

Archived