Gibson Brands Forums

G400 Headstock

RUkidingME

So, still thinking of buying this (exact) guitar. According to the serial number, it was made in 2003.

My question is:

I've noticed the headstock is a little different than current G400s. Obviously, the truss plate says "Gibson" as opposed to "SG." The "crown" emblem seems quite different as well (less space between "spikes"). Also, the Epi logo appears to be ever so slightly different.

I'm wondering if these issues are A) standard changes from year to year in manufacturing, :-k my imagination, or C) some combo of both. I'm really doubting this is a rip-off G400 (would they even bother making those?) but i'm known to be quite paranoid.

new0004.jpg

The current G400's crown logo looks more like the Gibson one. The one you are looking at is made in Korea, I beleive, and the new ones are made in China.

Some people think that the Korean ones are made better, however, that is a matter of opinion. I have a FLAWLESS ES-175 Reissue that was made in China.

I've noticed the headstock is a little different than current G400s. Obviously' date=' the truss plate says "Gibson" as opposed to "SG." The "crown" emblem seems quite different as well (less space between "spikes"). Also, the Epi logo appears to be ever so slightly different. I'm wondering if these issues are standard changes from year to year in manufacturing.[/quote']

Yes, exactly. In fact that is a perfect example of a 2003 Epiphone, still sporting the 'Gibson' TRC but with the Grover Rotomatic tuners. It all checks out. The inlay did indeed vary somewhat between manufacturers.

but i'm known to be quite paranoid.

No... not you... no way. Forget about it...

Archived