Gibson Brands Forums

Strap button on an AJ-500M

Hello All -

I am new to this forum, having just purchased my new Epi AJ-500M this past weekend.

I have a question about adding a strap button to the heel of the neck. I notice that the heel is much narrower than the heels on my other guitars. I'd like to add a strap button to the treble side of the heel, but I'm worried that the heel is so thin that it might split.

Where should a strap button be installed on an Epi Masterbilt? Or should it be installed at all?

Just in case anyone else is wondering about this, here's the reply I got back from Gibson Customer Service:

The treble side of the heel approximately 1" from the end. I recommend letting an authorized guitar technician do the installation.

To locate an authorized Gibson service center in your area click on this link: http://www.gibson.com/Service/Warranty%20Service%20Center/

Note: Not all authorized service centers are equipped to handle every type of service issue. We recommend you call first to discuss your service issue and confirm that the service center can address your specific repair needs.

Regards,

Roger Ball

Gibson customer service

service@gibson.com

• 1 month later...

Interesting that I should find this thread...I JUST moments ago posted a thread about this very issue, having found that my AJ500ME had no strap nut on the dove tail area of the neck....

I've done these strap nut installations before, on other guitars, and am not squemish at all about doing it on this one either.....(A previous posting of the Gibson response was interesting.....which is the "Treble Side" of the neck? I presume the "lower side," which forces the strap to curl around the neck joint, is that right?)

Here's my choice for where I'll be putting mine today:

Position1.jpg

-Soupy1957

Interesting that I should find this thread...I JUST moments ago posted a thread about this very issue' date=' having found that my AJ500ME had no strap nut on the dove tail area of the neck....

I've done these strap nut installations before, on other guitars, and am not squemish at all about doing it on this one either.....(A previous posting of the Gibson response was interesting.....which is the "Treble Side" of the neck? I presume the "lower side," which forces the strap to curl around the neck joint, is that right?)

-Soupy1957[/quote']

The treble side is the side where the treble strings are, the bottom of the guitar as you hold it to play. If you move the strap button slightly to the treble side of the heel the strap will naturally want to stay put on the button while you play.

Archived