Gibson Brands Forums

Advice for buying a beginner electric guitar

penticton111

Hello,

I am looking for a bit of advice.

I am planning on getting my daughter an electric guitar for her 13th birthday.

She has played an acoustic for about a year, but has always wanted electric.

Also - she's a lefty (I had no idea it was that tough to find lefty's)

Here's a couple we've found:

Epiphone G-400, Cherry - $399.00 (a little more than I was hoping - but she liked the feel of it)

Peavey Predator Plus EXP Left Handed Electric Guitar - Candy Apple Red -

$249.99 (only saw this one on the web, but the store is an hour and a half away)

Ibanez GRX20L Left Handed Electric Guitar - Black Night Finish -

$179.99 (again - only saw this one on the web, but the store is an hour and a half away)

What should we be looking for?

I am hoping to spend about $500.00 (amp included)

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get her the Ibanez. That'll leave the most cash for a decent amplifier; I would recommend a Roland Cube 20X or, if you can swing it, a Cube 30X.

P.S. $399 is kinda rude for a G-400, even a lefty... shouldn't be over $350 Cdn for one of those... unless it's normal to get reamed on stuff in Alberta.

G-400. I've never played one, but it seems to be a favorite on this forum, especially for upgrades. If you're willing to chance it, look on ebay for discounts. I've bought 8 guitars in the last few years from ebay, and haven't been disappointed yet. Just make sure you read all of the fine print for info on returns, exchanges, etc.

Have you settled on an amp? The Vox Valvetronix series offers great tones for the price.

Jeez, I didn't start playing 'til I hit 19! It's great your daughter has an early start. Best of luck to her!

Thanks for the responses already...

I did have a couple more I didn't list:

Schecter Omen Extreme Electric Guitar Left Handed - Black Cherry with Black Hardware $419.00

Schecter 006 Deluxe Lefty Electric Guitar - Satin Black $379.00

Fernandes Retrorocket X Electric Guitar - Left Handed - Black $264.70

Any thoughts on these?

Also - Line 6 amps? Any good?

Thanks.

Being a father indoctrinating my daughter into the world of guitar myself, I would have to suggest getting her the guitar that feels the best and will most make her want to play. Oh, and get a darn good setup on it. Makes all the difference in the world.

I'd go with what your daughter likes.

Also, keep in mind the Epiphone will have shorter strings than the Fender will will result in the frets being closer together and the pressure required to press the strings down will be less. If your daughter has small hands, this might be a plus.

That might be why she liked the feel of it. In addition, it's a fairly light guitar.

The main thing is she has to like the guitar. The more she likes it, the more she will play it, and the better she will get.

Insights and incites by Notes

Well, as tempting as E-bay is, for prices and selection, I'd take her to a REAL guitar shop,

let her play as many as possible (all brands...but especially Epiphones ;>) ), in your price

range, and let HER decided. There's nothing like "hands on," prior to purchase. A good

guitar, that she loves, and can/will grow into, instead of out of, will give her years of enjoyment,

and be far cheaper, in the long run. I would "second" the Roland Cube amps, or Vox Valvetronix.

The new Fender Super Champ, would be a good one, too. But, you might be going over your dollar limit,

with all that? Anyway...just some thoughts.

CB

My only qualm with the G-400 is that it'll kill your budget and severly limit your amp selections, even if you up your budget to $600. However you could do the Ibanez and the Cube 20X and squeak it in pretty durned close to your $500 goal.

TAKE HER TO ANY DEALERSHIP AND LET HER PLAY THEM. THE RIGHT GUITAR IS THE ONE SHE WANTS AND FELLS RIGHT. NECK SIZE MATTERS AS DOES COLOR TO A GIRL.

Resale and quality wise: American first, Japan or Korea second..stay away from Indonesian and China make products....

Necks vary so much and fingering is important for a newbie...also remember, you can get a used guitar at any music store and you have a guarantee. Larger outfits like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc. all go over thier used guitars and replace bad componets as well as set them up properly. You can get burned on Ebay from privite sellers, especially if you don't know what your looking for. Even I could have saved a bundle on one guitar had I got it at a Music store, but I opted for saving money on Ebay...I got burned bad. It had a replaced neck..they took off the MIJ Strat neck and changed the electronics (which is like $200).

So, I'd spend a day with her and go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and try some on. ..but please stay away from new cheapo's......I just sold a 30 year old Epiphone 12 string and it sounded better now

Gibson and Epiphone products seem to age well and the quality of them is outstanding. You can't go wrong with any Gibson product.

By the way, a great sounding inexpensive amp would be a CRATE. You can find them for under a 100 and they are clean. I got one for my Grandson, a 20 and even the distortion is great...I put it to a satilite 12 in. Eminence once to play..and it performed well....loud and clean....I'd get one with a 10-12 inch speaker at least.

Yeah, that's a consideration, for sure! I know, when my Mom bought my first electric guitar for me (my 14th birthday present) she had a specific budget, in mind...but, ended up spending more, because she knew it would be cheaper, in the long run, if I really liked the guitar, and would play it, not get "fed up" with it, etc. I'm 58 now, and still have that 1964 Fender Strat! (It was 280.00 with the case, back in those days). I was sharing an amp, with a friend, but she later helped me buy my first amp (about 3 months after the guitar)...a Fender "Bandmaster!" Yeah, I was "spoiled kid,"....LOL! What can I say...I had a great Mom!O:)

Also, what kind of music, does she like? Rock, Country, Blues, Jazz, (all)...and will she play mostly to accompany

her singing, or...for "rhythm," or "lead?" That might help decide, too?

Cheers,

CB

I belong to the "get her a guitar she likes to play" camp. (Maybe point out the Epi's :-D)

I bought a Line6 amp a few months ago. A Flextone III Plus and I like it very much. It offers a lot of sound flavours and power. Maybe even a little too much for my use ;-).

So the Flextone model may be over-doing it a bit for your daughter. Just for home use I'd get her an amp with a bit of power but not too much (25~30 watts is quite sufficient). One that can deliver various sounds and maybe has some effects (chorus, delay, maybe flanger) built-in. And... has a headphone output!!!!! (Though that feature might be enjoyed more by you than your daughter)

Also, make sure she can carry it around! So don't buy her one that takes three roadies to take to a friend. (Unless they're really nice roadies, of course)

Most brands offer suchs amps, I believe. And I guess most brands offer more or less equally decent quality, provided buy at a quality store. I've had a Roland DAC-15D (15w with 3 digital effects and some usefull outputs) for over 20 years and it has never broken down once. So I like Roland. The only minor issue I have with it is that I always felt a bit sorry I could buy the 20 or 30 watts version (although harder to carry). They were pretty expensive back then. But I used it for years in various situations, and I still keep it for light traveling.

Hope this helps!

p.s. They should have named the Line6 FlexStone III!

Resale and quality wise: American first' date=' Japan or Korea second..stay away from Indonesian and China make products.....[/quote']

Well....

Epiphone China (especially Quing Dao factory made...EE serial numbers) are FINE! As to Resale value...American,

and Elitist Japanese, will do well that way. Other's will vary. Be VERY careful, on E-bay and Craig's list (sight unseen, especially) as there are lots of frauds, and also sellers that WAY over-value, their "one of a kind," prized ("it kills me to sell") instruments. Even to the point of their starting price, for a beater, being above (at times) a good store's NEW merchandise! "Buyer Beware" is THE phrase, with E-bay and any situation, you can't personally inspect, and qualify the merchandise. But, hopefully, you know all this?

CB

I don't want to open a can of worms here but want to clear my conscience. I'm a lefty who plays righty. I didn't know any better at the time but I'll tell you it was the best 'accident' that ever happened to me. My nephew, a lefty, wanted to learn how to play & the first thing I told him was to 'learn it righty'. He didn't listen (of course) and although he has developed into a pretty good guitar player he fights the lonely battle all lefties fight when they look for guitars to buy-i.e. there ain't none.

It might not be too late for your daughter to re-learn.

And that's advise from one lefty to another.

As for the amp, I 2nd the Vox Valvetronix. Great amps.

P.S. $399 is kinda rude for a G-400' date=' even a lefty... shouldn't be over $350 Cdn for one of those... unless it's normal to get reamed on stuff in Alberta.[/quote']

CG has the G-400 Lefty for $414 - and its listed as a Price Drop.

I gotta go with RotcanX on this one. I love my G-400s, I have two of them, but if you only have $500, that would leave you with about a $100 for a amp, or less. Lefty G-400 go for $415 in the states. Maybe look at the Vox AD30VT for an amp as well.

Check out the guitars that Jeffery has linked up. I plan on ordering an SX STL50 this weekend. Go here and hear what people are saying about them.

Yeah, if she's tried 'em all, and she prefers the G400, I'd echo the recommendations for that.

As far as amps go, for a decent and relatively cheap solid-state amp, the Marshall MG10R has been very enjoyable to me. It's a bit under $200US.

For a very simple tube amp, the Epiphone Valve Jr is VERY nice. And I'm pretty sure the combo version is a bit under $200US also.

Hello' date='

I am looking for a bit of advice.

I am planning on getting my daughter an electric guitar for her 13th birthday.

She has played an acoustic for about a year, but has always wanted electric.

Also - she's a lefty (I had no idea it was that tough to find lefty's)

Here's a couple we've found:

Epiphone G-400, Cherry - $399.00 (a little more than I was hoping - but she liked the feel of it)

Peavey Predator Plus EXP Left Handed Electric Guitar - Candy Apple Red -

$249.99 (only saw this one on the web, but the store is an hour and a half away)

Ibanez GRX20L Left Handed Electric Guitar - Black Night Finish -

$179.99 (again - only saw this one on the web, but the store is an hour and a half away)

What should we be looking for?

I am hoping to spend about $500.00 (amp included)

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

As a left hander myself, I know exactly what you are about to go through, searchwise.

Is the acoustic nylon or metal string?

She may find the metal strings to be painful on her fingers.

That's my GFs daughter (12 y.o) primary complaint - the oems on her Starcaster hurt (09s and very rough).

Swapping them out with dadarrio 10s helped, but the damage was done, so to speak.

For new Epis, I think the only choices you have are black (LP, G400, G310) and cherry (G400), burst (LP100, Special).

What are her color/shape preferences?

Again to experience with the GFs daughter, she preferred metalflake black and pearloid over shiny black and plain white, and telecaster over all other shapes.

Best I could figure from their web site, all Fender color combos are available LH, but you'll probably have to special order it - Also, no price markup for LH over RH.

Pawn shops (at least in this area) rarely get LH models; I finally found my 02 LP on Craigslist, only a couple miles from my house, and at about 1/3 retail. Spent another 50 or so for a couple of parts and new strings, good to go.

As far as Craigslist goes - there were lots of non-epi/gibson LH guitars within driving distance.

Except for limited flexibility, I didn't have too much complaint with the little IBZ and Fender 10's...especially if you are playing something needing distortion - with bigger amps, gotta have window rattling volume for the distortion to sound right, much to the annoyance of others in the house, as well as your neighbors.

The Roland cubes are nice compact amps w/ good sound, although I didn't really appreciate it at the time I was trying it out.

Archived