Gibson Brands Forums

JOE PASS WIREING DIAGRAM...ETC.

jozluck

I need some or any information on a Joe Pass. I have a 97 that was purchased from T. Mansfield, a professional and it aged well. However, she put in 57's and took them out, re installed the old pickups. One Pot went out and I replaced it with one of my new Fender CTS pots...(actually it sounds cleaner and much better) so I want to re wire the enitre guitar. It is a unique sounding piece and fits my playing/song writting well.

Can anyone send me a proper wireing diagram or suggest a better set up. The pickups are different on this guitar, from string spacing to the fact they are 'loaded' pickups...the bridge one anyway which I had to re ground and re wax. These pups are clean sounding and waxed to the max actually...much better than the Sheratons to be honest...don't know why, but they sound much warmer and cleaner.

Does anyone have any information on this guitar I can use. From improvements/upgrades to bridge placement and dealing with the intonation problem pas the 10 freat.. I have j20 DAddarios on...seem perfect 10 to 49s.

For some reason, the diagram that Gibson sends just never gets recieved by my server.

Thank you....

Any ideas on proper bridge placement. It has a solid ebony bridge and I cannot find a placement that will give good intonation...there has to be some specs on this.

Also on better pickups, that would fit. These do sound great though.

Thanks....

That is why I questioned it. The wireing was different from that when I went to replace the pots. Everything from Capacator to hot wire was different posting...

Any ideas on proper bridge placement. It has a solid ebony bridge and I cannot find a placement that will give good intonation...there has to be some specs on this.

Also on better pickups' date=' that would fit. These do sound great though.

Thanks....

That is why I questioned it. The wireing was different from that when I went to replace the pots. Everything from Capacator to hot wire was different posting...[/quote']

The intonation can be done easily by moving the bridge..I posted my setup measurements

a day or two ago..but basically the bridge needs to be set 24 5/8 +/- 1/16 at the

bridge's treble post measured from the edge of the nut. The bass post is 24 3/4 or

24 7/8 +/- 1/16. Set it up at these measurements and then tinker with the bridge

position using the fundamental/harmonics at the 12th fret. I switched mine over to

T-o-M as you can do a more finite adjustment, especially on the G.

As far as the caps, you can put the cap either inline with the wiper of the tone pot

and going over to the volume with one tap soldered to ground or the cap soldered

to ground on one lead and the other lead to the tap(which is not grounded in this case),

either way will work. Just be sure that the correct end tap is grounded and the other

is open connection on the tone pot for clockwise rotation of the pot.

THANKS!

Now what do you know about the pot size and capacitors? I was going to install Gibson 300k volume pots and .033 sprague orange drops. I do have to admitt, I am thinking about using the fender solid shafts 250....it is so clean on the bridge pickup.but wont hold the knobs. I put it on as an only replacement. What can I say, but other than the Tele sound, I use it for most my work now. I'm surprised at how nice and full the sound is from this piece.

Any way: Does this work well? I'm looking for clean, blues, light jazz and folk rock sound...

Joe

I'm ordering tommorow....

I have all those pots. and caps. and wire.

and I mount on a card prewired, free.

and my prices are still below others.

for the knobs, you can get set screw replacements which will work with any shaft type or size.

I'd go with the 300K pots.. 250 will cut too much highs and mess up your clean a bit if you use them throughout.

Archived