Gibson Brands Forums

What's the difference between the AJ-200S and DR-200S?

MH

My teenage son is looking for his first acoustic guitar, has been playing electric for about a year. His electric is an Epiphone and he really likes it. He was looking at the Epiphone AJ-200S and DR-200S acoustics. They appear to be very similar in features, construction and price. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? Any recommendations between the two? He's saved up about $250 of his own money to spend. Any other ideas for an "easy to play" acoustic for under $300? Thanks!

Well, the AJ model designation stands for "Advanced Jumbo". A Jumbo design has a larger volume in the body and as I look at Epiphone's link to the two the AJ seems to have a larger lower bout. The DR is a Dreadnaught design, which is somewhat lower in internal volume than the AJ. Note, also, that it is a square-shouldered design, whereas the AJ is a slope-shouldered design. Otherwise, the scale (length of the string between the nut and the saddle) and the nut width are the same.

Your son has some knowledge regarding guitar construction, it seems, as he has picked what looks like the only two guits in the "Acoustic" link on Epiphone's website with solid wood tops. However, I'd suggest he also consider the Hummingbird model. It is a reproduction of a somewhat famous and expensive Gibson model and is also a dreadnaught design. I've played a few at the Guitar Center, they have a nice action, sound good, and according to Epiphone they also have a solid wood top. The price at GC runs in the $250 range.

If it were me, I'd go for the AJ, but I'm 5'10" and so I can get my arms around a jumbo model. He may be smaller, if so a Dreadnaught design might be better.

Good luck to your son in his quest!

Dugly

My teenage son is looking for his first acoustic guitar' date=' has been playing electric for about a year. His electric is an Epiphone and he really likes it. He was looking at the Epiphone AJ-200S and DR-200S acoustics. They appear to be very similar in features, construction and price. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? Any recommendations between the two? He's saved up about $250 of his own money to spend. Any other ideas for an "easy to play" acoustic for under $300? Thanks![/quote']

Take a look at a Seagull S6 Entourage. Solid cedar top, good construction, $300, and it's made in North America.

The biggest difference though is that the Seagull has a wide neck, 1.8", which,as a beginner, I find somewhat easier to play than the 1-11/16" necks on the Epi's.

Archived