Gibson Brands Forums

ef-500ra

jefleppard

Here's a couple reviews by owners that seem mighty happy:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Epiphone/EF500RA/10/1

As for pretty things, yep, often irresistable. I just bought a Gibson 1958 Country Western reissue that caught my eye in a big way. Luckily, it's more than just pretty, it's a great guitar, too!

Uncle Buck

Cunk:

I have not played an EF500RA. I do own and play daily, an EF500R. I love it. Plays nicely, and sounds good to my ear. I have no idea that the additional abalone trim would change the sound. Hope this helps a little, anyway.

Pete

I played the ef500ra at GC a couple of months back. Its a great guitar. I was able to pay it side by side with 0028ec martin and a huss and dalton om. The ef500ra sounded better than the martin and equal to the hd. I was very impressed. Someone bought the next day, they got a great guitar.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an EF-500rans and it is my all time favorite guitar.It appears to be smaller than it really is because it's still just as deep as my Gibson Hummingbird so the sound is awesome.I've had mine since Jan 05' and in that time it has transformed and matured into more than I ever expected and that's saying alot cause' I loved the sound the first day I picked it up.BTW the abalone dosen't take away from the sound at all, it just makes it that much more appealing!Great looks and great sound!

I've played an EF-500RA a whole bunch of times. It plays even better than it looks in my opinion! The pre-war style V-neck, which I got used to immediately, is fantastic for fingerpicking. If I didn't already have a $2k small body acoustic, I would've seriously snatched it up, but alas, I couldn't justify the spending. For anybody else, I can't recommend it more wholeheartedly.

Ef 500RA owner here :)

You´ll have an outstanding guitar, as far as i can say!! My versions doesn´t have electronics.

Had some minor probs with mine, nothing too serious, just needed a setup ( strings were very low) and a new saddle, the original (bone) one cracked :-& but my luthier made me a new one, bone rulles!!

In my opinion... keep the 0.12 strings, i´ve tried 0.11 and for me, got a not-so-rich sound!! I´m using in this guitar some german strings called OPTIMAL, gold plated, awesome sound, the best i ever bought (far from elixir, gibson, martin, dean markley...) and price under my loved Elixir nanoweb that i use in my other guitars!

The satin finish, i believe it steals some of the beauty of the inlays, but that´s no way to choose about it, just the color!

:) Had a bad time finding a nice case for her (can´t find any original cases in portuguese market), but finally i tried a beautifull GATOR GW Classic Tweed covered!! As the name means, it suits originaly a classical guitar... this is to give you an idea how big she is!!

My luthier made some weird test about ressonance, and told me it´s a very good construction!

Archived