Gibson Brands Forums

epi sheraton action advice

stockyoafc

hi this is my first post and and im not that knowledgable when it come to specifics on guitars.

i just about to clean and restring my sheraton II and when taking the hardware of at the bottom (the two pieces of metal where you string the guitar through) that when i put it back on if i screw them out so they are higher will this be better or worse for the action and how comfortable it will be to play.

ive always had the one that the strings go through screwed down to the bottom and then the piece that the strings rest on screwed a cm and a half up. i wanna screw both down so the strings will essentially be the lwoest they can be.

is this a good idea?

cheers

chris

The stop piece (where the strings go through) is typically screwed all the way down, providing adequate downward force of the strings on the bridge (where the strings go over). Bridge height and thus string height over the fretboard is mostly a subjective thing. The nominal specs are spelled out in your owners manual. Too low and the strings will buzz on the frets, too high may be uncomfortable. There is no "right" answer. It usually takes some experimentation to find what works for you and your guitar. Search this forum and the web for "setup" and "action" for gobs of more info.

And welcome to the forum!

all the way down puts a sharper angle at the saddle.. increasing pressure there increases the chance of string breakage.

some people like them higher.. some lower.. it makes a difference, slight but real, in how the string tension feels to your fingers, and, again, slight, how the strings themselves sound.

the right way is what works.. for a guy doing lots of bends.. a higher tail can save strings, and make bending a tad easier.

tone is personal and so is feel.. so, experiment a bit.. tune it up and raise and lower to lowest/highest playig it a bit inbetween and see what your fingers and ears tell you.

all the way down puts a sharper angle at the saddle.. increasing pressure there increases the chance of string breakage.

Good point. I remember my son's first guitar' date=' an Ibanez string-thru with metal saddles. Almost a 90 degree angle. Broke strings [i']way[/i] too often.

You basically want to set your action so that it is 4/64" (i.e. 1/16") high on the treble side and 6/64" (i.e. 3/32") high on the bass side at the twelfth fret. From there you can try to go lower but everything gets super critical at that point which means your relief has to be right and your frets have to be nice and level. Of course some people prefer a higher action in which case there's no problem.

Archived