Gibson Brands Forums

best or worst idea to do to a 205 dollar dot.

evol04gt

you guys will kill me for this....BUT.... hear me out and wait a few min before going ape sh1t.

buy a blem dot for 205 of MF. get some 12 string saddles. run the unison strings in the same holes as the "original" strings would go. (possibly have to drill it out)..make a new nut. measure out how to place mini 6 aside tuners on the headstock...drill out, superglue dowells in the holes....refinish headstock with bono, fusion and spray clear..

im thinking 300 bucks for guitar and all materials needed (including a pack of strings..)..

i got this idea looking at my maple ARIA 335 copy and realizing i dont need it when i get my sheri back from my friend, but i REALLY want an electic 12, but the aria head is small....and epiphone headstocks are MASSIVE.

i have already considered the extra nexk tension, but i only use extra light strings.... or lights tuned a half step down...

im not planning on doing it since i just bought the bass, but i think it would work....

i think it would work..... neck might be too narrow..... i dont know.... wish i had some stuff to sell so i can try it....

i really really want a semi hollow electric 12......................................... jesus does it ever end??????

buy a blem dot for 205 of MF. get some 12 string saddles. run the unison strings in the same holes as the "original" strings would go. (possibly have to drill it out)..make a new nut. measure out how to place mini 6 aside tuners on the headstock...

Great idea, I like it...

If you can find'm, look for the dreaded double-headed tuner machine heads. This beasty will save you the trouble of drilling 6 holes, and keep the headstock looking clean and sturdy.

Should work. Actually I think Allparts sells a 12-string stop tailpiece (TP 5440-010, 3-1/4" post spacing); otherwise I'd just put on a 12-string trapeze. The tricky part is going to be the tuners, the Rickenbacker solution looks like a winner, although you just might be able to squeak a full set of 12 mini-tuners à la Fender on there. The neck shouldn't have any problem with the extra tension; you'll have to tighten the truss rod. String spacing will be tight though; usually a 12-string will have a wider neck than a six.

...as an alternative you could just go to a Nashville tuning.

forgive me for my ignorance, but WTF is a nashville tuning? i never thought about that ric style headstock.. i may try that with the aria... it could ether work... or totally ruin the guitar forever...

i have only SEEN ric 12s in person.. there was one at guitar center yesterday, but it was of course righty...didnt bother taking it down... the 6 strings are out of tune enough...tuning a 12 can be a pain (i need total silence while tuning because im just that anal)

if someone wants to give me a dot blem in exchange for my aria, ill do it.....for real...

Nashville tuning uses the top six strings of a 12-string set. The sound is reminiscent of a 12-string although not exactly the same since you are missing the bottom strings. I have a Yamaha F-325 that I set up with Nashville tuning and it makes for a nice change from regular six-string tuning.

i have only SEEN ric 12s in person.. there was one at guitar center yesterday' date=' but it was of course righty...didnt bother taking it down... [/quote']

The typical Rick-12 has a 1 5/8" wide neck (the 660 has a wider 1 3/4" nut). 1 5/8" is pretty narrow for a six string, jamming 12 strings makes it a challenge to play. I don't have a Dot, but I believe it should be around a comfortable 1 11/16".

looking at my ARIA, i think i could get 6 vintage style fenders on each side... the nut is bone (custom made) so i think i could take it to the luthier and have him recut one just like it as a 12.......

saddle and bridge would be step two.

honestly, WHY NOT do this? the body has already been redrilled for lefty, there is an ugly finish crack on the neck where the nut was chipped off at somepoint (really poorly)... so the guitar really isnt worth but what 200? as is? it plays VERY well however... i wanted to put GFS pick ups in it to better the tone..... if it works.... i would do it to a dot..

are dowells and superglue, then bondo and paint a good idea for the headstock? if i over cut into the same dowel area, will that be an issue?

I'm a righty, but for 200 bucks for (righty) dot studios on MF, i'd do all this hassle, it's probably easier to do righty anyway.

Neck is big enough on a dot IMO.

Pickups, I'd probably go GFS especially since the studio has some sketchy pickup pairing I've heard.

Probably go twin mean 90s, reverse wound.

Archived