Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Slash Les Paul

mageesnow

I am thinking about buying a Slash Les Paul serial number EE080103247 it pertains to be a genuine guitar but is not a tobacco sunburst finish ...more of a cherry sunburst ..Guitar looks well made and genuine. How can I tell if it is the real thing?

If it doesn't look like this one, forget about it.

Check that the little details are there (position indicators aka pointers under knobs etc).

It should have a COA (certificate of authencity) and Epiphone customer support can verify that serial number for you.

Cherry sunburst? Sounds like an odd colour for a tobacco burst.

Thanks for your replies. very confused with this one ..all the details are there (pointers under the knobs) COA , other documentation , usa inspection tag . matches up in every detail including plastic removable covers over the pickups saying what they are. Quality of guitar is good and plays well! I will try Epiphone Customer support but I guess a copy this good would have the right serial number as well...

If the price is well under GC/MF/M123 prices, it's not what it's supposed to be.

In any case, buy yours from an authorized dealer. You can't get a real one any cheaper at the present.

Be carefull, very carefull, I checked out Epiphone's site and all the advertising does NOT mention any other color, only the Tobacco Sunburst, which is the color Slash plays. Would be strange to produce a Signature guitar not in origional colors.

But like you said contact Epiphone to comfirm, we all wait the reply.

Cheers ken.

Thanks for your replies. very confused with this one ..all the details are there (pointers under the knobs) COA ' date=' other documentation , usa inspection tag . matches up in every detail including plastic removable covers over the pickups saying what they are. Quality of guitar is good and plays well! I will try Epiphone Customer support but I guess a copy this good would have the right serial number as well... [/quote'] Not saying that the pickup's don't come with plastic covers, i dont know for sure, but i know mine didn't. My pickup's don't have Seymour Duncan printed on them either. No picture or spec's of the Epi. Slash Sig. that i have seen has been anything but tobacco burst. If i were you i would listen to the other people on this topic. You will find that there is alot of wisdom and knowledge in the forum's, that is why i come here. As i stated i do own one, but if i didn't and was looking to get one i'd definately stay away from the one you are looking at, you'd be getting a fake one. If you are set on getting a Slash Epi. take Biff's advice and get it from GC/MF or any other authorized dealer. I got mine at GC and could not be ordered online, i had to go into the store to order it.

Thanks for your replies. very confused with this one ..all the details are there (pointers under the knobs) COA ' date=' other documentation , usa inspection tag . matches up in every detail including plastic removable covers over the pickups saying what they are. Quality of guitar is good and plays well! I will try Epiphone Customer support but I guess a copy this good would have the right serial number as well... [/quote'] It just hit me what you were talking about when you said plastic covers over the pickups. Excuse my stupidity, but if you are talking about the window cling type plastic then yes, mine came with them as should any i would think.

well' date=' just as recent as last week...i busted a guy for selling a fake epi slash.

here were his pics.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Glampyre/Guitars/DSC00084-1.jpg[/img]

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00091-1.jpg

DSC00098-1.jpg

notice the crappy font on the limited edition logo.

DSC00096-1.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

these definitely aint seymour duncans.

DSC00109.jpg

I could tell from the first pic., my case looks nothing like that one. I'm not experienced enough to point out other specifics of these pic's, but i'm glad i got mine where i did, i know it's not a fake. Speaking of fakes, is there any legal trouble people can get into for selling fakes?

I could tell from the first pic.' date=' my case looks nothing like that one. I'm not experienced enough to point out other specifics of these pic's, but i'm glad i got mine where i did, i know it's not a fake. Speaking of fakes, is there any legal trouble people can get into for selling fakes?[/quote']

Yep, a whole heap in fact. There must be numerous trademark infringements and design coyright infringements in any fake guitar. Then there's the issue of 'passing off' a product as being made by someone else. And then, of course, good ol' fashioned fraud.

Kenny

.... The local cops contacted Gibson, who then sent a security employee to Oakdale Music to pose as a customer. The Gibson employee identified the fakes, and the local police have charged Musumeci.

Musumeci, in his defense, says he bought the Les Pauls (between 20 or 30) from an eBay dealer for about $20,000 and was fooled himself. “I’ve been playing guitar for years and I couldn’t tell the difference,” he told Newsday. “They looked right, they sounded right, they felt right.”

gibsonthief.jpg

I own the Slash LP and like the two previous replies' date=' be suspicious. I wouldn't get it.[/quote']

OhioSlashFan, I have a question for you. On the VS style Epiphone LPs aren't the body, neck and headstock back

all black? (I just have a Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS and except for the front the rest of the guitars finish is

black and I think the Plus-top is the same; that's whay I'm asking if those parts of the Slash Signature model are

the same). If you look at the back of the neck and headstock on his guitar, it has that cherry-red finish which the

VS colored guitars usually don't have. I've only seen that with the Honey Burst (HB) and Heritage Cherry

Sunburst (HS). Just thought I'd ask, because that's another reason why I think this guys Slash Signature is bogus.

And as some of the others have said, it only comes in the one color, VS with a flamed maple top.

OhioSlashFan' date=' I have a question for you. On the VS style Epiphone LPs aren't the body, neck and headstock back

all black? (I just have a Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS and except for the front the rest of the guitars finish is

black and I think the Plus-top is the same; that's whay I'm asking if those parts of the Slash Signature model are

the same). If you look at the back of the neck and headstock on his guitar, it has that cherry-red finish which the

VS colored guitars usually don't have. I've only seen that with the Honey Burst (HB) and Heritage Cherry

Sunburst (HS). Just thought I'd ask, because that's another reason why I think this guys Slash Signature is bogus.

And as some of the others have said, it only comes in the one color, VS with a flamed maple top. [/quote'] The front of the headstock is black, the back of the headstock is brown, the back of the neck is brown as is the back of the body. The front of course is tobacco burst. There is nothing cherry-red about the Epi. Slash Sig. As i have stated several times in the forum's, i'n no expert.I'm rather new to the guitar world, but i do know from what you have described, it's a fake. If i knew how to post pic's i could show closeups

.... The local cops contacted Gibson' date=' who then sent a security employee to Oakdale Music to pose as a customer. The Gibson employee identified the fakes, and the local police have charged Musumeci.

Musumeci, in his defense, says he bought the Les Pauls (between 20 or 30) from an eBay dealer for about $20,000 and was fooled himself. “I’ve been playing guitar for years and I couldn’t tell the difference,” he told Newsday. “[b']They looked right, they sounded right, they felt right.[/b]

gibsonthief.jpg

As if.

You know, looking at those pics, its frightening how much effort these copiers are putting into their work. If it wasn't for that obvious case, I could have been fooled at first glance.

I wonder, with all of the hard work that they are doing on making these things seem real, will there be time when the copies are as good as, if not better than the real thing...?

I played the Slash epi today and I don't know about anyone else but to me, it felt and sounded just like my LP Standard with Alnico pro 2s... the only difference I could tell was that I have about 800 bucks in mine and that included strings, the guitar, and a case in mine. thats total and the slash is 200 bucks more (plus tax). I asked the sales guy and he said that really the only thing you're payin for there is the pickups and then the name. Moral of the story... Get the guitar you like and make it right for you. If thats the slash then buy it and yes... it only comes in tabaco sunburst.

I played the Slash epi today and I don't know about anyone else but to me' date=' it felt and sounded just like my LP Standard with Alnico pro 2s... the only difference I could tell was that I have about 800 bucks in mine and that included strings, the guitar, and a case in mine. thats total and the slash is 200 bucks more (plus tax). I asked the sales guy and he said that really the only thing you're payin for there is the pickups and then the name. Moral of the story... Get the guitar you like and make it right for you. If thats the slash then buy it and yes... it only comes in tabaco sunburst.[/quote']

A few weeks ago I stopped by a local guitar shop in Poughkeepsie, NY, which is a kin to one they have in Middletown,

NY. I was just curious as to the variety of Epiphone Les Pauls they had as compared to the store it Middletown where

I had recently purchased a Les Paul Standard. I saw one of the Slash Signature models at the Poughkeepsie branch

(they didn't have any in the Middletown branch when I was shopping there) and decided to take it down to check it

out. It looked pretty much like my Epiphone Les Paul Standard VS, except it had the Plus-Top finish, Seymour Duncan

Alnico Pro-2 pickups and Kluson tuning machine knobs. I really didn't like the feel of it (personal preference) and thought the Grover tunings machines on the regular Les Paul Standard were much better than the Kluson on the Slash

Signature model. As you (alcorn429) mentioned, the price was much higher, too. I'm happy with what I have and the

extra money in my pocket saved from not buying for hype.](*,)

Archived