Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone have some tips for a newbie on playing guitar,

yamatsuka

Lessons, with a good teacher? ;>)

Otherwise, get a good chord book, and listen to

as much of your guitar hero's work (whoever they might be), as you can.

And, try to play with others that are better than you, even if only a little bit.

And, don't get discouraged. It takes time. It's been said, that guitar is one

of the easiest instruments to learn, and one of the hardest, to learn WELL/master!

I know, from personal experience, that the more you learn, the more you realize how

much you DON'T know! So...compete only with yourself. But, play and share,

with others, as much as possible! And, of course "Practice, practice, practice!" lol!

CB

Lessons' date=' with a good teacher? ;>)

Otherwise, get a good chord book, and listen to

as much of your guitar hero's work (whoever they might be), as you can.

And, try to play with others that are better than you, even if only a little bit.

And, don't get discouraged. It takes time. It's been said, that guitar is one

of the easiest instruments to learn, and one of the hardest, to learn WELL/master!

I know, from personal experience, that the more you learn, the more you realize how

much you DON'T know! So...compete only with yourself. But, play and share,

with others, as much as possible! And, of course "Practice, practice, practice!" lol!

CB

[/quote']

Thanx. Yeah, was getting a bit discouraged, but won't give up.

Thanx. Yeah' date=' was getting a bit discouraged, but won't give up.[/quote']

Yeah, keep the faith brotha! I'm 38 and just starting out, so I'm right there with ya.

My brain isn't what it used to be, and I got little monkey dicks for fingers, but I refuse to quit.

Charlie has delivered the word, and we shall heed the gospel!

Now go and play it like you stole it!

I'll second getting a chord book, learn the major/minor chords, learn some simple songs, and play them start to finish.

Take the time to learn the notes on the neck and you'll always know what key you are playing in. Start out simple and learn the basics.

Yeah' date=' keep the faith brotha! I'm 38 and just starting out, so I'm right there with ya.

My brain isn't what it used to be, and I got little monkey dicks for fingers, but I refuse to quit.

Charlie has delivered the word, and we shall heed the gospel!

Now go and play it like you stole it![/quote']

Hehehe, will keep that in mind...

Don't set your goals to high. Keep it real. It's allright to be inspired by Edward Van Halen' date=' to [i']aspire[/i] to be the next EVH is something else... Keep it fun.

I know. Just gets a bit frustrating to want more than you are capable of.

Thanx. Yeah' date=' was getting a bit discouraged, but won't give up.[/quote']

Help us get to know more about you. Some questions:

- How long have you been playing guitar?

- How are you learning?

- Do you or have you played another instrument?

- What are you finding discouraging?

Maybe with this info, we can offer more help.

Help us get to know more about you. Some questions:

- How long have you been playing guitar?

- How are you learning?

- Do you or have you played another instrument?

- What are you finding discouraging?

Maybe with this info' date=' we can offer more help.[/quote']

- I've only been learing for a couple of weeks.

- Learning from the net.

- No, unfortunately haven't

- The only discouraging thing is that there doesn't seem to be any progress.

#1 - You don't know what your capable of accomplishing on the guitar.

#2 - Play EVERY day.

#3 - Learn scales, learn others people's songs (tabs from internet), write your own songs, learn different

techniques, learn from books and DVDs, learn from others you play with, learn the fretboard, learn , learn, learn,

and don't stop.

#4 - Pay attention to this forum

#1 - You don't know what your capable of accomplishing on the guitar.

#2 - Play EVERY day.

#3 - Learn scales' date=' learn others people's songs (tabs from internet), write your own songs, learn different

techniques, learn from books and DVDs, learn from others you play with, learn the fretboard, learn , learn, learn,

and don't stop.

#4 - Pay attention to this forum[/quote']

Thanks.

A couple of weeks is nothing. You're expecting too much too soon and/or you're being impatient. Even with regular practice, expect some boredom and seeming lack of progress at least for a few months. It will come! When I started weekly lessons at age 12, I learned one string per lesson - that's six weeks on the individual first-position notes alone! And I had to endure the finger pain of a borrowed, crappy acoustic with terribly high action. But by six months, I was able to play entertaining stuff, sing and strum, etc.. Be patient and just plod along. I think a lot of beginners give up too early - you see tons of used guitars for sale where the sellers say they bought but never learned. Good luck and keep us posted.

And I had to walk to school in the snow, five miles, uphill, both ways!

My brain isn't what it used to be' date=' and I got little monkey dicks for fingers, but I refuse to quit.[/quote']

Boy do I hear you. I'm 37 and started about 5 months ago. Haven't had much time to practise lately because of a death in the family. But I try to do at least 15-30 minutes a day. Some days I can actually see progress and some days it feels like it's the first time I pick up a guitar. But I can play a lot more today than 5 months ago. Heck, 5 months ago I couldn't even read notes. Chord changes is definately my biggest challenge so far. BTW, I learn using Legacy Learning System's "Learn & Master Guitar". Kinda spendy, but I like the fact that you get DVDs along with the book and the website is very resourceful.

Boy do I hear you. I'm 37 and started about 5 months ago. Haven't had much time to practise lately because of a death in the family. But I try to do at least 15-30 minutes a day. Some days I can actually see progress and some days it feels like it's the first time I pick up a guitar. But I can play a lot more today than 5 months ago. Heck' date=' 5 months ago I couldn't even read notes. Chord changes is definately my biggest challenge so far. BTW, I learn using Legacy Learning System's "Learn & Master Guitar". Kinda spendy, but I like the fact that you get DVDs along with the book and the website is very resourceful.[/quote']

I have a lesson once a week, and I use a few different books. Hal-Leonard stuff is pretty good. Nice and basic, has tabs and play along disks. I used to get tabs from Power Tabs.net, but they didn't have the licensing and were shut down. Try Ultimate-guitar.com for tabs of songs you like. They have a lot. Other than that, it is all about practice!

Sorry to hear you lost a family member. Hang in there, I hope all else is well.

J

Unfortunately, learning to play an instrument is not instant gratification. However, it is very rewarding.

Don't give up hope. Remember when you first went to school how difficult it was to write the alphabet, or read. Now you probably don't give it a second thought.

If you can, find a good guitar teacher. At least for a while. The money and time you spend with a good teacher will jump start you. You can learn in months what it might take years to discover on your own. Plus you won't develop bad habits that will limit your playing in the future.

Also, a good book like Mel Bay or Alfred's can be a help. Again, they will help even more with a teacher.

Sooner or later you will look back at your first baby steps on the guitar, and you will realize just how far you have come along.

Insights and incites by Notes

Sorry, Yamatsuka...I didn't realize you had really JUST begun (2 weeks).

That doesn't change, what I told you, but...the reference to "the more you learn,

the more you'll realized what you don't know," might have been a bit discouraging?

Didn't mean it, that way (just in case). I only meant, you will learn a lot, and still

not learn it all...in anything, really...LIFE! But, you will make progress, slower than

you want to, for sure! We ALL have that problem! LOL! I played a lot, as a teenager,

back in the '60's. Gave it up, for 30+ years, and only started again, a few years ago.

Talk about a learning curve. I've missed some musical styles/fads, completely.

Some of which, I don't regret, at all...other's it would have been fun, to learn. But,

I try to do, a bit of that, anyway. Also, I have come to the realization, that I have

some specific kinds of music, that I really gravitate toward. And, so I try to keep

that in my sights, too. You'll make those decisions, yourself...often changing, from

time to time, no doubt. But, eventually, you'll (probably) decide you like a particular

kind or style of music, above all others. In the meantime, learn as much as you can

and feel comfortable with...even if it seems "almost impossible" at the time. I'm

learning more and more, everyday. I have to...I've forgotten so much! LOL!!

Above all...HAVE FUN!

CB

Here's some advice from a 20 year + player (for what that's worth!).

1. Make sure to play every day to get your callouses (sp.?) built up, it'll make it easier to play

2. Playing leads that scream and cry are the dream, sure, but I started out learning how to play songs, from start to finish...while singing along, too. Find some simple tunes that YOU like and that are in your skill level - open chord stuff, or some songs with power chords. Learning to play a song start to finish (even if you don't sing it), is very rewarding. Once you can play a song from start to finish, either in front of siblings, parents, friends, etc., and they say, "Hey I know that song, great job", is when you know you've got it. Plus, it gives you feedback. I know that my friends were never impressed with any leads I may have pulled out at a party, but if I played the Stones' "Brown Sugar", then people loved it.

3. Try and find others with your skill level (or slightly higher) to jam with regularly. Music is a social act. It is a lot of fun to play with others, and is a great excuse to hang out, listen to music, learn tunes, etc. No matter where I've lived or what music I've played, I've always tried to find people who like to sing and play, and its made it that much more fun (plus, my girlfriend isn't that excited about guitar playing like WE are on this forum). Finding someone who is slightly more advanced to jam with will allow you to learn a lot. Some things that you work on for months can be cleared up by a jedi master just showing you quickly and in person.

4. Focus on timing and rhythm above all else. Learning songs, and trying to sing along will help you with this. So many people focus on soloing, that rhythm is a lost art in a lot of guitar circles. Not sure what music you listen to....but for the classic rhythm players, check out Pete Townshend of The Who, Keith Richards work on Stones' "Sticky Fingers"....and if ya want to update the rhythm thing, get a Ramones or Clash CD to learn punk. They are the roots.

5. When trying to learn solos, keep it simple. Work on melody rather than a wall of notes approach. Even if you like metal, even those types of solos start out with, and include a great melody. Melodies, just simple lines that you can hum, are key to good solos. Start out simple, and then progress.

6. Keep yer guitar in good shape and keep it in tune!

7. It'll probably take upwards to a year to get in the groove. If you have a passion for music, apply yourself, but keep it fun and interesting. Don't be afraid to set it aside for a few weeks or days. This is what keeps you fresh. You'll be amazed as to what will happen if you take a break every now and then.

8. Listen to LOTS of music. Listen to lots of different music, even if only once, to hear what the guitar is doing. All the time. 'nuff said.

When listening to music, don't narrow it down to "guitar-based" music.

Sara Bareilles (perhaps you've heard of her... she's a friend of a friend, plays piano, sings... and has a major-label record out) is piano-based, but whoever the guitar player on the record is does some nice stuff.

I could look it up, but I'd have to move my amp.

Every one has great advise. But I'll add one thing. Look up the two major bar chords and start practicing them now. The first bar chord is based on the open E major shape with the root on the 6th string. The open A major shape forms the other bar chord with the root on the fifth string. As soon as you see these on a chord chart they will make sense.

The reason you want to start these now is because it takes weeks to build up the finger strength to play them. Once you have them mastered you'll increase our chord vocabulary by 500%.

I've only been playing afew months so I'm still pretty new but I'll tell ya what I've found helpful so far and you pick and chose what ya wanna follow just like most of us have.

1. Take some lessons from a qualified teacher. They'll help you set your goals and also give you insight to your technique. But a key note here is make sure the lessons are helping you get to where you want to be. I don't particularly going over scale after scale and when I first started I had a very tough time doing chords. What my teacher has done for the first is to have me bring in tabs for songs that I like but also helps me look for things that I can play. In the beginning he preached to me pentatonic scales and power chords and i've gradually branched out.

2. This one has already been said. GET A CHORD BOOK. Great information to have.

3. When you get your chord book get some tab books of some bands you like and have talked about with your instructor. If your lookin for easier stuff I recommend Nirvana and ACDC and maybe some greenday. Smells like teen spirit is the first song I learned followed by highway to hell and back in black. Since I've dabbled in things ranging from day tripper, slither, one, fortunate son, and margaritaville. If you try to learn on stuff your into then you will be more apt to practice.

4. Buy a guitar stand and keep your guitar in an area that you're in often. If your sitting there looking at it then you'll soon find your self just practicing while watchin tv.

5. Probably most important. Its already been said but I'll say it again. Don't get discouraged and craw before you try to walk. The first time I tried to learn I was about 14 and I bought a guns n roses technique book and practiced for hours and just couldn't play any of it. I very promptly through the guitar in my closet and sold the book back to the store and forgot about trying to play guitar for the next couple of years. This time its been alot of smaller steps up and maybe one or two leaps and I bought the same book and know atleast 90 percent of the songs in there

Dude,

Pretty much just take it slow and don't give up. You'll get discouraged but take a break and then come back to it and you'll be suprise how even that will help your playing. Hope that helped.

Everything that's been said is great advice. I'd add one more point and I think it is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT aspects of learning to play:

Make certain that whatever it is you are practicing, that you are doing it correctly. Take your time and do everything very slowly at first. It's all about muscle memory. You can slowly speed things up as you go. The speed will come as a result of accuracy and finger efficiency.

It's also less frustrating to practice this way. When you learn a new song, slow the tempo way down so you can get it right. Don't speed up until you can nail it.

Hi, the message from here is don't give up, all the posts are very helpfull and every word true!!. I'm almost 50 and took up playing again 12 months ago. (I played from 9 yrs old to 18 and in a band at pubs etc, then gave it all up.....go figure) anyway get your self a teacher if you can afford one they really help. Make it fun don't try to get the whole song in one hit, make small gaols and it will all come togeather before you know it.

I practise between 2 & 4 hours a day, I'm lucky to be able to do that though.

Blokes I really hear you with learning and the brain doing differant to all the fingers, but it works in the end.

Just a further question how much practise does everyone do ??

Cheers Ken.

I've been playing amost a year now (self-taught) and so has one of my firend and he's crap, he trys to copy everyone and not come up with his own style so use you guitar to be your self. Don't just try to learn your favourite songs, make sure youlearn scales, chords and theory. Also something that helped me play nice and slow, just think what sounds better playing fast and messy or slow and hitting all the perfect notes.

Also get you self a metronome.

Something i found useful play what feels natural don't try and play a style just play what you want. i love hard rock but i play blues the best because no matter what i do i end up playing the blues.

Play easy songs or bits of song that sound good e.g whole lotta love intro, favour house atlantic(coheed and cambria). have a hard song you want to learn i wanted to play welcome home by coheed and cambria first time i tried it was horrible then i just keept going back to it and i now have it spot on. i learned intros because if your learning scales and got bord i played a cool intro and it fires you back up.

good luck

(i practice every chance i get usually 1-2 hours a day on weekends 4 hours a day)

Archived