Gibson Brands Forums

EMG active VS EMG HZ'S in the ZAKK WYLDE LP's

BFG 28

Just wondering what every one thinks about the differance bettween active EMGs and the passive EMGs. will the Zakk Wylde LP sound better with actives or not because I dont notice a big differance bettween the two. thanks for any input.

I tried out one of the new Prophecy guitars with active EMGs in it and to tell you the truth I don't see what the fuss is all about. Definitely don't see enough of a difference to warrant needing a battery in my guitar. I'm starting to think it's just some sort of knee-jerk get-on-the-bandwagon mentality; personally if I want a heavy sound I'll just look for a pair of hot ceramics such as the Gibson 496R and 500T or Dirty Fingers. Heck, I'd install a pair of Seymour Duncan Invaders before I'd think about active EMGs.

Active EMGs? Note articulation and no noise....(try that with Dirty fingers). Excels equally well at high gain as well as clean.

It may not be a first choice if you're plugging straight into the amp, but if you're using any amount of effects and/or recording you'll reap the benefits of having active EMGs. I've had no experience with the HZ.

btw, if you've seen the epiphone ad with zakk wylde posing with his 3 epi LPs.

you will notice that all 3 have actual EMGs in them, replaced by zakk himself.

the camo LP has a hook for a strap button, which would also mean zakk actually uses it.

so too for the other 2 as zakk actually put EMGs in them.

so i guess that answers your question :D

epiZWad.jpg

I put EMG 81/85's in my '77 Gibson RD Standard. Some significant differences between active and passive pups happen because actives have a very weak magnetic pull on the strings and they are lower impedance. What this means is that you can mount them very close to the strings without affecting string vibration. Clean tones are clearer and sustain is better. Output can be very high so you can really drive the preamp section of your amp if you want to do so. The other thing that is nice is that you can record directly to disc and still get a sound that is clear and bright and not muffled without using an impedance matching interface device. Another big plus is that they don't hum at all. You don't hook up the bridge ground wire when you install actives. This makes them safer since you are no longer part of the ground loop when touching the strings.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the PAF's in my Gibson LP Custom and will never put active pups in that guitar, but active pups do bring a lot to the sonic table.

Greg

I never experienced this myself since my guitars are pretty much flawless... :D/

but keep in mind EMGs have a tendency to enhance whatever sonic qualities the guitar has. So, if your guitar sounds like crap, don't think it will benefit from fitting it with EMGs. it will probably sound worse!

I also tried one of the prophecy guitars with active EMGs. hated them. Yeah, they are high output but they are also very sterile. No way to get that really gritty sound like you can out of a good passive pup like a duncan JB, which at the moment is my favorite pickup. IMO, the active EMGs had no real balls. Yes, you can definitely get a very articulate sound out of them so if you're into real clean-type distorted sounds, you'll probably like them. On the other hand, if you like dirty-type distorted sounds like AC/DC, zz top, etc, they suck for that. I didn't even like the sound I got when chugging power chords ala godsmack and disturbed type of stuff. Just no balls to them. Just my opinion of course...

Thanks for all the comments on the EMGs. I've been looking for some 'pro' feedback regarding these things and up until now no-one has been able to explain the advantages of them to me. Once again, thanks for the clarifications. Learn something new every day. 8-[

Just bought a jackson (japan made) yeah yeah love epiphone too lol. its got the hz3 in them there ok but not enough low end. But the hz4 are more like a active pickup from what I read, thats whats in the zakk epi guitar and gibson has the active 81/85 combo active pickups. Lot of people like the 81/85 combo and some dont, I think I might go into a duncan pickup. You can to there web site and listen to them. My guitar sounds so much better useing a metal muff pedal its crazy! long as you like metal.

Thanks for all the feed back every one It will help with my decision. My Zakk Wylde lp sounds great with the passive EMG's I was just wondering if there was any differance bettween the Passive's and Actives emg's but I think I will keep the HZ4's that are in her now.

thanks again.

Thanks for all the feed back every one It will help with my decision. My Zakk Wylde lp sounds great with the passive EMG's I was just wondering if there was any differance bettween the Passive's and Actives emg's but I think I will keep the HZ4's that are in her now.

thanks again.

you can always go to gt center and play a guitar with the emg 81/85's ,shecter guitar has them in if I spelled it right. Duncun has some bad *** metal pickups u should check out they look like emgs.

From reading interviews with some of my favorite players I have learned that although the active EMG's don't really have their own personality or "tone" they are heaven for performers who travel and play in many different venues because they do not pick up wayward signals or florecent lights and always sound the same everywhere. So even though the artist may not like them better than their old setup, they use them because of the advantages stated above.

Check out the Seymour Mustaine actives, best of both worlds! Based on the 59 neck and JB Bridge but with a built in preamp. It is like having a TS-9 built into the guitar.

I get constant comment on how great the tone is on my Hardtail with these in it.

I also have a ESP Eclipse with EMG 81/85, to put it a different way, the tone of these is only as good as the rig you are playing through as these don't add much color at all to your sound. Clear articluate notes, high gain without muddiness, but no real personality to speak of.

The Duncan Blackouts are supposed to be even cleaner and clearer than the EMGs, I know people that love them, I sold mine within a month when they came out.

It is all about the ears and what sounds good to you!!

Tom

Archived