Gibson Brands Forums

Explore the possibilities.....

Biff Velvet

Okay, so gentlemen. Upon seeing Mr. RotcanX's epi explorer, Ive been really gassing for one.

However, my original plan all along has been to splurge on a gibby explorer.

So I considered the following.

Buying the Epi (550 CND around my parts)

Adding possibly EMG 60/81 combo....or a dirty fingers combo of some sort to keep things passive.

and buying a nice case.

So in my approximation....

550 (guitar)

200+ (pickup replacements)

80ish (case)

Grand total.... $830

Gibby explorer around my parts....$995

So, I ask those with experience in regards to explorers to explore my options. (Wordplay intended)

I guess the pickups are where a nice portion of the epi expenses go...any other viable options for some bonecrushing pickups??

Thanks in advance fellas! (and lassies!)

Nah, the gibson thing doesnt really get me personally.

As far as im concerned, my Epi LP Custom is good enough to be the only LP I ever own, its really that nice to me.

I guess Im asking for too much, since really Id never know how the upgraded Epi would play without actually doing those upgrades.

Unless someone else has done something similar?

Actually that price is for a faded Explorer; if you want a nice one with a proper finish you're looking at more like $1400 Cdn after taxes.

I thought about trading up to a Gibson myself, but truth be told, since they've long since stopped making them out of Korina I don't really feel such a strong urge to own one. Of course if I had the eight large kicking around I'd order one of the 50th anniversary models but...

Archived