Gibson Brands Forums

Considering Elitist Tak- need advice from those who know

TSMilliner

Hi folks,

I am looking at buying a new guitar to add to my collection (not really a collection per se, just some guitars I own and play).

In any case, I have been looking at Carvin CS6 (Nice but too impatient to wait 8 weeks for delivery), PRS nice, but expensive to say the least, Gibson LP (Classic and Studio), and last but certainly not least the Epi Eilitist Tak Matsumoto or Standard Plus.

Currently leaning hard on buying the Tak model, it is a bit more than the Standard, but the Takburst finish looks amazing (at leats in pictures), and also has the Burstbuckers over the 50 and 60 St humbuckers.

I have read that these guitars are a lot better than their entry level Gibson counterparts, except for the nitrocellulose finish which living in humid FL may be an actual upside not to have and that the fit and finish is better due to the modern Japanese Factory versus the older American technology at the Gibson plant.

Anyhow, I am looking for input, is the Tak worth the extra 300 bucks, is it really better than the Gibson sub 3,000 dollar guitars? Any other input? How would it compare to a PRS or Carvin?

Normally, I would go and play and see for myself, but in this case I have to order it before playing. I can always return it so either way I am safe.

I have played the Epi Slash and a few other models, so I am familiar with the quality and finish, and I like the concept and bang for the buck they offer. I am looking for something more, I want the best Guitar (LP Style) that I can buy for under 2,000 dollars.

Any advice or input are these really as good as the reviews online? That would be great, since I really like all of the models, and SG and a 335 would be great future additions. I can't believe I haven't heard of them before a couple days ago.

Thanks in advance, I am planning on buying within next couple of days.

Tom

Either of the Elitist LPs represent a lot of bang for the buck. The Burstbuckers on the Tak make it worth that extra $$$ IMO... as to all the extra cheese, well, it's true, it is a pretty guitar. Personally I think the Elitists are a better score than any Studio just because of the 'Standard' vibe that they put across.

Another model you might want to look at if you can get your hands on one would be the Gibson LP Standard faded... very close to the Elitists in price and a very nice axe. Note that it has a more rounded '59 profile neck which again, for some, is a plus factor. The satin finish on it is also very fast in terms of playability.

I've had a Tak for over a year now and would recommend it without reservation.

It compares VERY favorably with the Gibson LP Standard I picked up recently.

Every time I pick it up and play I'm reminded of just how good a guitar it is.

Def worth the extra bux IMO.

the Gibson LP Standard faded... very close to the Elitists in price and a very nice axe. Note that it has a more rounded '59 profile neck which again' date=' for some, is a plus factor. [/quote']

Small add-on. On Rotcan's advice when I went shopping for an Elitist, I checked the Faded as well. And they come in 2 neck-profile flavours. '50(fat round "baseball bat") and '60(slim taper).

Thanks' date=' I think it is the Tak I am going to go with. It does have the slim '60s neck right? Does it play pretty fast??

Thanks Tom[/quote']

Well, I'm actually quite a slow player, so I can't really compare. However, the Epi neck is almost identical to the Gibson in width, and just a few thousands of an inch thinner, front to back.

HTH

Thanks, I actually went to Sam Ash and ordered the Tak last night. Should be here in a few (long) weeks. Good thing about buying local is I can take it back within 30 days if I don't like it and get the faded w/60's profile.

I am no lightning fast player either, so I need all the help I can get.

Thnks, Tom

Unless the Taks are different from the other elitist LPs, I wouldn't say it has a 'fat' neck. I've got 5 elitist LPs (2 standards, 2 studios, 1 custom) and I would have exactly zero of them if they had the fat '50s neck.

Whereas they are not a '60's slim taper, they seem to me to be about exactly halfway between the two (unless, like I said, the Tak has a unique neck profile, which I doubt).

The strongest selling point for me on the Custom was the fact that it didn't have the fat '50s neck that all Gibby LP Customs have. To me, that made the elitist more desirable than the Gibby.

Also, I, too have no problem at all with the poly finish. Having my guitar look brand new after 20 years doesn't bother me at all.

I am glad to hear that, in between is okay, it looks like same dimensions as other Elitists, which makes for easier production and parts when building I am sure.

As for the poly finish, I agree, I am pretty sure that if blindfolded not even Les Paul himself could tell the difference between a poly finished guitar and a nitrocellulose one. And would also rather have my guitar last and stay looking pristine, especially cause I actually like to play them as opposed to keeping in a glass case.

Thnks, Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Svet,

I actually canceled my order for a while, I just couldn't wait that long for it to arrive. If they gave me a solid date it might have been different, but they couldn't and I had a bad yearning for a new axe. I saw a Heritgate H150 that I had to have on Ebay and ordered it and canceled the Tak order.

I am still very much planning on buying a Tak or an Elitist LP next, but need to replenish my gear fund a bit beforehand. Might be a month or two, but I will still get one.

The Heritage I bought is a flame maple top in black with a natural finish on the sides and back.

I will post on here once I order it.

Thanks,

Tom

As for the poly finish' date=' I agree, I am pretty sure that if blindfolded not even Les Paul himself could tell the difference between a poly finished guitar and a nitrocellulose one. And would also rather have my guitar last and stay looking pristine, especially cause I actually like to play them as opposed to keeping in a glass case.

Thnks, Tom[/quote']

Can't comment on the LPs but I'm one of the few that prefers poly over nitro. The nitro gets too sticky sometimes. I like the feel of the poly on my necks, same all the time.

Hi TSMilliner, you still have to post pictures even though it isn't the Tak! House rules! I hope you enjoy that Heritage as I have heard much praise about em. If you are still interested in the TAK I recommend you call my guys and see if they'll ship it to you. They have the best prices I've seen anywhere! I paid 1300 for my Tak brand new and ordered from the distributer. It took a week for them to get it in. http://www.altomusic.com/components/main/top.htm Call the Middletown location and you'll be set!

Can't comment on the LPs but I'm one of the few that prefers poly over nitro. The nitro gets too sticky sometimes. I like the feel of the poly on my necks' date=' same all the time. [/quote']

Actually I think there are more of us than people think. You know, if poly was 'inferior' do you think PRS & Gretsch would be using it on their $4-5k guitars? I truly believe that if poly would've been available back in the 40's & '50's we wouldn't even be talking about nitro.

Thanks Svet, I will stick up a few pics later tonight. I will definitely look into your source when I order. At the local Sam Ash it was around 1600 after tax. 1300 is more reasonable. There is a guy on Ebay selling them for around 1280, but looks like a bit of a scam.

Thnks, Tom

I agree' date=' I would definitely consider a well cared for Guitar especially if the source was reputable. Just as with anything else you lose at least 1/3 of the value once you take it out of the store.

Thnks Tom[/quote']

I've been thinking of selling mine since I got the Gibby LP, maybe we can work something out....

I will check back with you ina month or two when I get the funds replenished. If you still have it and are interested in selling, I would rather buy here where there seems to be a passion for these things than from someone I don't know on Ebay.

Will check back, thanks Tom

Sorry, no pics yet, I will take a few by the weekend.

Archived