Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Noise Supposed to Happen on 12th Fret?! PLEASE HELP!!

I just purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top (Wine Red w/o pickguard) which has double open-coil humbuckers. I haven't own my own electric in a few years (been borrowing bandmates guitars since I "misplaced" mine a few years back)...

...anyways after playing with it at Guitar Center for a while I apparently didn't play on the 6 string (that's the bottom string looking from right-handed playing poston) 12th fret because when I bought it home I got a twang twang sound, and that is the only place on the guitar that it makes that weird sound.

It's a great guitar otherwise, I don't want to have to exhange it if I don't have to... and I seem to remember hearing that same twang twang sound in that same place on some other people's guitars I've place with through the years. I tried changing that string but that same sound still happens. Is this something normal on some guitars?? Is it something that can be fixed?? Is it something wrong with my guitar or is it something normal on all these Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Tops??

If it's something normal with the guitar then I'll accept it... I just want to find out if it's something wrong with this specific guitar and if it's broken and I need to exchange it. I think I bought the last one of these guitars so it's going to be hard to exhange it for the same one and I only have 30 days to exchange it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Get a short straightedge and check the frets. Look for a high or low fret in that area... then figure out how best to deal with it. Basically it's going to depend on whether you trust GC to fix it properly as opposed to just making it worse... or you can try and fix it yourself or else find a good tech guy that has the chops to fix it right.

Archived