Gibson Brands Forums

Dot/335 Transformation complete

Nice work on the Dot!

I've done a very similar thing with mine:

Gibson 57 Classic / Classic Plus pickups

Re-wired with CTS pots / Orange Drop caps / Switchcraft jack and switch.

Black/Silver reflector knobs.

Gotoh TOM bridge

Will post pics soon!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click on the picture icon at the top of the page.. It's the one with the little mountain and sun.. Then put the URL of the picture in between the "img" codes...

Most people use a hosting service like Photobucket for their pictures... It's a free service.. You just have to upload your pics to Photobucket and click on the "direct link" URL to copy it (there will be four choices of links next to each picture.. "direct link" works for me..) then paste it between the codes..

thanks !!!got it at last

98468216.jpg

heres my upgraded Dot SE .The pickup mounts in reality match the cream/ivory binding well and are more yellowy .Its a bit faded out in the photo .I also gave a thorough fret job to lower the action right down .Goth nickel bridge and tailstop .Tonerider Rocksong nickel pickups and Grover nickel deluxe tuners .It sounds very good now and is much tighter ,less rattly .It also plays well acoustically ,I often use it unplugged to practice and it sounds quite loud when bashing out chords .very pleased with the outcome . It was worth the effort .

Mastster Sammich...any relation to Master Shake? LOL

Actually the pots are the components inside the guitar,that the knobs are mounted on. You can see these looking thru your f hole on the dot.

A good brand pot would be either CTS or Alpha. You'd want 500k pots. GFS sells kits with pots switches ect.

Forum member Twang can build you an entire wiring harness with your choice of components,if he has time,I gather he's very busy...PM him and see.He may be able to help.I've heard he's reasonable costwise as well.

I'd also recommend GFS vintage 59s as a great pickup.Twang also sells some pretty good pickups from what I've heard.

Yes you can put a bigsby on a dot..it has a solid center block with hollow 'wings' you can also see this looking thru the f-holes.

A lot of people have put bigsbys on them.

That's going to depend on who does it..I'm about 250 miles from you...I'd do it cheap.Your best bet is to try to find a good tech in your area.Ask around.Heck ask the guys on here.You might even be able to find a skilled forum member who lives nearby.KC is a big place.

Nice... How do those Toneriders sound?

i am impressed by them .I assume they match Burstbuckers rather than PAF's They are far better than the stock pickups .Fairly hot ,great for blues and will soften down for soft jazz while retaining good clarity and punch .Also get a clear clean .I play through an upgraded Groove Tubed Champ 600 with the tweed mods (R19 removal) and also a flat out no tonestack at all on a switch I installed .It certainly rocks flat out .I have also tried the Rocksongs with a Fender Princeton Reverb 65 ,an SS that has few friends it seems .It certainly gave a good barking blues performance on overdrive ,really rocked the house down at a Jam session .It sounds great through a Pro junior .I also borrowed a Boss MT2 pedal ! and it sounded fantastic through the Champ if a trifle heavy .Still retained some good tone unlike many Humbuckers .It felt like the little 6 inch speaker was going to blow so stopped the MT2 fairly quickly but it was great .Toneriders are superb quality ,beautifully made .In all the guitars I have tried I havnt heard any better but maybe SD and the like are better ,not sure .The set I tried in my tele ,Vintage Plus pinned down that tele sound perfectly at least for me .I may get a Boss BT2 pedal ............ EE Epi Dots are certainly worth the upgrade .only the hardware is cheap .The wooden bits are all high quality and worth installing good components on IMHO .I found by careful buying on ebay I didnt spend much .The Gotoh parts were all cheap and genuine and excellent quality .As all the pots and switches work well I didnt change them .I just cut and shut the pickups and then heatshrunk over the joins .

I caught wind of Toneriders fairly recently... I've been looking for some pickups for a bass project I'm working on (or will be, shortly) and heard about someone putting TRs in a Jazz bass, so I checked them out.. They were pretty cheap (inexpensive), but right now, the only low-cost pups I trust are GFS... Haven't tried their bass pickups, though..

I ended up keeping the pots on my Dot too... Was gonna replace them... I was expecting it to have the tiny, cheap pots, but it had full size Alphas, so I figured; "If it aint broke..." I only had Alpha pots to replace them with anyway, so it didn't make much sense... I didn't want to do the slice 'n' splice though, so it was worth it to drag 'em out... This was my first time modding a semi-hollow, so I wanted to go through the whole "experience". Or at least that's what I tell myself.. :-)

Gorgeous job, Lerxst - thanks for all the detail and the photos too: so helpful. I love this forum!

Am considering a cheapo Chinese Super Dot from a shop near me in sumptuous cherry red - and your inspiring example is inducing me to yet another inessential but actually oh so necessary purchase with mods in mind.....

There's a bit of cherry 335 thing going on at the moment, I notice, with the current crop of Brit bands backing the latest chanteuses like Amy Winehouse. And that guy Mark Ronson - gotta love someone who sports a classic cherry 335/355 with Bigsby for his live appearances and videos.

Thanks again, Lerxst. Such a cool guitar - hope you make brilliant music with it for many years to come.

• 1 year later...
thanks !!!got it at last

98468216.jpg

heres my upgraded Dot SE .The pickup mounts in reality match the cream/ivory binding well and are more yellowy .Its a bit faded out in the photo .I also gave a thorough fret job to lower the action right down .Goth nickel bridge and tailstop .Tonerider Rocksong nickel pickups and Grover nickel deluxe tuners .It sounds very good now and is much tighter ' date='less rattly .It also plays well acoustically ,I often use it unplugged to practice and it sounds quite loud when bashing out chords .very pleased with the outcome . It was worth the effort .[/quote']

Can you post more pictures of this guitar? Im thinking of putting cream pickup covers on my dot, but still undecided.

Archived