Gibson Brands Forums

G string buzzing on Slash LP

highxj

OK, I've had a pretty annoying buzzing coming from my G string only when played open. The A does it also but to a lesser extent. This guitar did this out of the box and is brand new.

Here is what I have checked so far: It doesn't seem to be coming from the bridge as putting finger pressure on the string just behind the saddle has no effect, and the sound just does not seem to be coming from that area. Same with the nut, finger pressure on the string and loading the string sideways in the nut has no effect and the buzzing continues. I finally took it to a 'guitar tech' at the local music store and he came to the conclusion that the buzz was coming from the high E tuning machine. Indeed, when inward pressure was put on the keystone the buzz seemed to stop. A new tuning machine was obtained under warranty from Epi and I just installed it........and still have the buzzing. None of the strings buzz when fretted anywhere and she plays really well.

Can anybody think of anything else I can check? It's not a huge deal and can't be heard when plugged in, but unplugged an playing any chord with an open G sounds like hell. I am baffled at this point. Thanks!

Dan

That is a pretty common occurence. If it quits when you fret the string and that string only, you may be able to narrow it down easier. Are you sure that the nut isn't cut just a smidgeon low? Fret the 3rd fret and press down on the string at the 1st. You should have enough clearance to insert a standard sheet of paper (.001). If there is no clearance, you might have to put a dot of superglue in the nut slot to build it up and carefully file it back down. A tiny dot on a sharpened toothpick is all you need. The nut slot should be cut so that the string passes over the high spot in the cut on the bridge side. If it is cut wrong, there can be buzzing and noise because the string isn't "cut" at the bridge end of the nut slot. Take something that will fit in the G nut slot and press down on the string at the point that the string exits the nut slot and pluck the string. If the sound stops, it's probably the nut.

Past that, there may be some resonant hardware somewhere. It might be as elusive as a toggle switch plate or a pickguard. You'll have to narrow it down over time. On the G string only, it is either the nut or a resonance problem. Does it do it if you fret the same G anywhere else on the neck?

Thanks for the reply. Owing to the fact that it doesn't buzz when fretted anywhere on the neck, it just about has to be the nut or some other hardware as you suggested. I'll have to fiddle with it some more. It's a little puzzling that the buzz stops when I put pressure on that high E tuning machine. That action must be doing something else that is alleviating the buzz. Interesting!

Archived