Gibson Brands Forums

GFS Pickups in Dot, Les Paul

jwsamuel

I've read several messages here from people who have installed GFS pickups in Dot and other Epiphone guitars. How does the string spacing line up with the poles on the GFS pickups...specifically on the Mean 90s and GFS humbucker pickups. Thanks,

Jim

The bridge adjuster screws line up exactly, the neck p_up is off very slightly, but nothing

to really worry about. If you line up the high e with the first adjuster screw, the A

and low E are just off center a bit. BTW..my Broadway with the OEM 50SR (neck)

is exactly the same way, so I would say that the hole specs are off slightly..or

the P_ups were originally designed for slightly wider string spacing(1.75 nut width).

Thanks for the replies. I have used a bunch of GFS pickups' date=' but always in Fender guitars. I know that the string spacing on GFS pickups matches up fine with Fenders but do not know about Epiphones.

Jim[/quote']

You can always plug the neck p-up ring mtg screw holes with a rounded toothpick and

move the neck ring slightly over to the pickguard side to spread out the adjuster spacing more

evenly, but that also means shaving some material off the pickguard ring slot in order to

move the ring.

It's generally more about esthetic appearance than about functionality, because the neck p_up

screws usually have to sit almost flush with the metal cover to avoid contact with the string(s)

on the higher frets.

I have Mean 90s in my Dot Studio. The pole pieces on the bridge and neck pickups

are spaced properly for their respective locations. Any left-right variation as described

above will be because of the guitar, not the pickup.

Any left-right variation as described

above will be because of the guitar' date=' not the pickup.[/quote']

Yes and no. on the Broadway, the pole pieces/screws for the D and G are centered right underneath

their respective strings. so the neck can't be skewed.

I would say that the holes for the low E/A are drilled wider for whatever because they use the

same stamper for making the metal covers for both the bridge and neck, even

though the coil resistance will be different.

If I measure (caliper) the pole piece width on the neck and the bridge

(which is correctly spaced for the strings) on an archtop,

the measurements are (outside of screw low e to outside of screw high e):

Epi 50SR/50ST: Covered humbucker: Bridge: 57mm Neck 57mm

string width is 37mm (low e to high e)and a 1.68 inch nut,

Epi LP oem p_ups covered humbuckers : same as above

GFS Vintage 59s covered hbucker: same as above

BUT: GFS open vintage 59s on my LP project guitar is 54 mm. to each edge of the adjusters..and the adjuster screws for the neck and bridge are located directly in the center of the strings for both pickups.

The string width on mine is 40mm and I've installed a 1.75..(actually a 1.81 inch) nut.

So you are correct in saying that it depends on the guitar (nut width). The mean 90 is a single coil and the

specs for the cover punching may be different from the vintage hbucker covers. I don't have any, so I can't

measure one to determine the width.

Carv, I understand what you're saying but if ALL of the pole pieces are off center to either side, then the guitar's the

culprit. I've seen minor differences in total span on many guitars. My previous Dot

(the one that was replaced) was WAY off, in that case because the neck and/or the

bridge were set slightly crooked.

Strings lining up properly with the corresponding polepieces is overrated IMO. It's a popular fairytale made up by railtype PU manufacturers. The magnetic field of a polepiece extends well beyond it's width...

The discerning ear may pickup on differences if the string is falling exactly in between the polepieces, but generally if it's close, it's good enough.

Carv' date=' I understand what you're saying but if ALL of the pole pieces are off center to either side, then the guitar's the

culprit. I've seen minor differences in total span on many guitars. My previous Dot

(the one that was replaced) was WAY off, in that case because the neck and/or the

bridge were set slightly crooked.[/quote']

Ron,

by "span", I presume you mean the overall string span.

I didn't notice if G*bsons have the same issue (with the neck p_up) adjuster screws

being off on the bass side. Minor differences do occur, as you mention, and it's

strictly an esthetic thing. Generally speaking it's the treble strings that might need

an adjustment on the height and very little, in order to balance. The actual p_up height

is the usual adjustment , for the neck.

The individual screw, which is threaded into a metal bar,magnetized by the bar magnet,

allows the magnet's field on the N coil to be more closely adjusted to provide some more

volume or balance out on the thinner treble strings .

Bass strings being thicker don't need that kind of adjustment.

With my archtops, having a 1.68 (40mm) nut, its the bass side only that is not quite on center.

The 20th fret is 50mm wide, The pole piece span is also 50mm, but the string spacing is only 45mm

at the neck p_up and almost 50mm at the bridge, so my original comment (about the narrower

nut used on Epiphones) still stands.

Now, IF I move the archtop floating bridge over to compensate for this, then the strings

line up just inside the two outer screws of the hi/lo E.

Strings lining up properly with the corresponding polepieces is overrated IMO. It's a popular fairytale made up by railtype PU manufacturers. The magnetic field of a polepiece extends well beyond it's width...

The discerning ear may pickup on differences if the string is falling exactly in between the polepieces' date=' but generally if it's close, it's good enough.[/quote']

I agree, it's more of an esthetic/visual issue. You see a couple adjuster screws

not lining up underneath the neck p_up of your guitar and you start to wonder..

why did they do it like this? Volume wise, nothing wrong with it.

Generally the screws are screwed in anyway on the neck. Sometimes you might want to balance a couple of

strings on the bridge, if the p_up won't raise any higher, but on the neck, where

there is more amplitude vibrations from the strings, it's generally not an issue.

It's the same on whether the adjuster screws should be closer to the fingerboard

and the bridge...no difference, if you flip the p-ups around, so the adjuster screws

are now facing the middle..it's an esthetic thing again.

Seth Lover mentioned this in the book I have (Gibson Guitars, Ted McCarty's Golden Era)

Archived