Gibson Brands Forums

1966 G-400 Reissue

Deez

How good is it??

Well if you asked a kid who never had more than a $99 dollar guitar he'd think it was great.

If you asked Angus Young you would probably get another answer.

How long have you played? What level do you consider yourself at? How much do you want to spend?

How much CAN you spend? Is resale value a consideration of yours?

I can tell you what I think about the guitar, but without knowing something about what you are looking for, how could someone say it's good for you?

Just remember that it's just the regular 1962-based G-400 with a different pickguard. So if you're paying some kind of premium price for it compared to a regular G-400, I'd say it's not worth it. If it was at least a true 1966 reissue, with the correct 1966 neck joint, it'd be a somewhat different story.

How good is it??

Well if you asked a kid who never had more than a $99 dollar guitar he'd think it was great.

If you asked Angus Young you would probably get another answer.

How long have you played? What level do you consider yourself at? How much do you want to spend?

How much CAN you spend? Is resale value a consideration of yours?

I can tell you what I think about the guitar' date=' but without knowing [i']something[/i] about what you are looking for, how could someone say it's good for you?

Couple years, somewhat adept, and about $300-$350.

I meant good as in how are the pups, would anyone recommend changing the out (for rock/metal). Just in general, ya know?

I prefer the smaller PG myself, but if you like the bigger one, and it's $50 cheaper, than GET IT!

Like Spud said, it's the same as the regular G400.

And it's a fine guitar, you will enjoy it. I have an 06 ebony g400 myself.

I can't put it down sometimes!

*Edit* There are differing opinions when it comes to the pups. Some don't like them and put different ones in.

I find the ones on mine to sound pretty decent. So I've kept mine stock.

I meant good as in how are the pups' date=' would anyone recommend changing the out (for rock/metal). Just in general, ya know?[/quote']

Again, the same '57 Classic Hot and '57 Classic pickups as used in a regular G-400. The neck pickup is pretty inoffensive but the bridge pickup is, in my opinion, execrable and should be replaced at the earliest opportunity. I might suggest a Seymour Duncan JB or a Duncan Distortion as suitable options for rock/metal.

As cool as the batwing pickguard is, it is nonetheless out of place on a 1962 body... like having a sticker on the guitar stating that whoever built it hasn't got the slightest clue about SGs. But if it floats your boat, go for it, especially as it's priced so affordably.

Again' date=' the same '57 Classic Hot and '57 Classic pickups as used in a regular G-400. The neck pickup is pretty inoffensive but the bridge pickup is, in my opinion, execrable and should be replaced at the earliest opportunity. I might suggest a Seymour Duncan JB or a Duncan Distortion as suitable options for rock/metal.[/quote']

Agreed.

Either one of these sets will give you great results,....

Duncan SH-2 paired with an SH-4JB

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rodded-Humbucker-Set-?sku=300030

The SH-6 Set is my favorite (SH-2 paired with an SH-6 Distortion)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Distortion-Mayhem-SH6-Humbucker-Pair-?sku=300039

I have this set in my Korean Epiphone SG Custom, mid and bridge postion.

Both push-pull enabled as well.

It makes that funky slab of wood sound pretty darn good.

Archived