Gibson Brands Forums

Nut "pinch" on a Les Paul Std+

dbf62

Hello - new to the forum.

I just picked up a LP Std+ for my son (he's been playing about 6 months and doing well). I have lots of guitars and have been playing and working on them for over 30 years.

I put a set of Gibson BriteWires .10s on this one and am getting what appears to be a nut pinch on the D (that actually sounds kind of painful doesn't it... =P~ ). The tuner (Grover) seems to be fine but I have to literally turn the key 3/4 of a turn to drop the pitch. It comes up to pitch fine but will not release.

When the string is loose, it doesn't appear to be tight in the slot though. I put a bit of graphite in the slot (as I usually do) but it didn't help at all. It is almost like, under tension, the bend in the string behind the nut (the tuner side) is causing the problem. The string is catching or wedging on the back corner of the slot and not releasing when loosened.

The D is the only one that is having this issue. Once at the correct pitch, all of the strings stay in tune very well - no problems there. I am thinking of just touching up that back edge of the nut slot with a file and seeing if it fixes the problem. I really don't think that it is the tuner.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, my experience is, it's usually the G and B. The thin strings cut into the cheap plastic nut...(boy, that sounds...wrong) It's the angle towards the tuning pegs.

"Touching up that back edge of the nut slot with a file" sounds like a good idea. Also file the nut down, so the strings are guided over the nut instead of through the nut, if that makes any sense.

Here is nicely cut nut. Yes, it's mine.

GLP_nut2.jpg

Great pic. Yes, I usually try to keep the wound strings less than 1/2 of their dia into the nut slot to keep them from buzzing. It's a balance between that and having them pop out on bends though. This one has the strings totally buried which I'm sure is contributing to the problem. I will file it a bit this evening and see what I can do. I may ultimately end up replacing the nut.

Thanks for the reply.

I bought a Gibson LP Studio (I have 5 great Epiphones) about three weeks ago. The B string was doing exactly what you described. I took a piece of wound string and opened up the sides of the slot. You don't want to increase the depth of the slot, just the sides.The slot should have a slight "Y" shape to the headstock. The string is being pinched.

It doesn't take much to get it right.

I was a little upset when my Gibson had this problem and my Epiphones didn't. Epi's rule.

Dan Earlwine outlines the above procedure in his book. You can make nut files my cutting a short piece of guitar string and glueing it onto a small piece of wood. I have done it and it works.

Where can I buy a bone nut online?

How much do they run?

Are they better than graphite nuts?

Twang can set you up with one.

About 4 bucks for a blank?

Not better, different. Bone being bright-, and Graphite warm-sounding plus having the added benefit of self-lubrication.

Where can I buy a bone nut online?

How much do they run?

You don't buy a bone nut. You buy a nut blank, a rectangular piece of bone, for about $4. Or you can steal a bone from the neighbourhood dog and cut your own blank. Then you have to cut it to the right shape, slot it, and set the string heights.

Or you can steal a bone from the neighbourhood dog and cut your own blank.

SPCA problems! And to cruel to imagine. RotcanX is just kidding. (You're kidding right' date=' Spud?)[/i']

Pay the $4, or pay THE MAN.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I opened it up just a bit last night and it is fine now - no more problems. I did notice that 4 of the 6 slots were cut at a very significant angle. In other words, as the string is placed in the slot, it falls down and to the side quite a bit. If viewed from the headstock, the D slot (the worst one) actually is cut at about a 60 degree angle rather than straight vertical. I'm not talking about the sides of the slot, I mean the slot actually undercuts itself to one side. That was the problem with this one. I just had to make the one side of the slot vertical and it stopped pinching.

These slots look like this when viewed from the headstock:

----------- ------------

|

--

I did this:

----------- ------------

|

|

|

--

For now it is fine but I am going to replace it when I have an opportunity.

Well I see that my "drawing" did not turn out because this forum kills the extra spaces. I will try and post a pic...

Archived