Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Joe Pass Guitar Bridge - Is Mine Broken?

jwsamuel

I have a Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II for sale on eBay right now. I was just looking at it and noticed that when you look at the bridge from the side, the posts that hold the saddle are tilted back toward the end of the guitar at about a five degree angle.

Is that normal? I want to find out so that I can cancel the auction if I need to because I do not want to sell a defective guitar and have problems with the buyer later on.

If I do pull the guitar from eBay, I may make some changes in it and turn it into a real player. If I replace the bridge, is there any reason to retain the rosewood bridge or would switching to a Tune-o-matic work well? I have a pair of Gibson 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus that I could install.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

I have a Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II . I was just looking at it and noticed that when you look at the bridge from the side' date=' the posts that hold the saddle are tilted back toward the end of the guitar at about a five degree angle. Is that normal?

If I replace the bridge, is there any reason to retain the rosewood bridge or would switching to a Tune-o-matic work well? I have a pair of Gibson 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus that I could install.

Jim[/quote']

The question about the tilt on the JP ebony bridge has come up before.

I have one and the bridge also had the tilt, so I would think that this is normal on these wooden bridges.

I kept the original bridge but I replaced it with a t-o-m and the posts are straight on the t-o-m.

I believe the consensus was no, it is not supposed to be like that, but it does not really affect anything...when I changed strings,

I was able to completely remove the screw posts and reseat them correctly...much improved in appearance, at the very least...

Thanks Carver.

The tilt really looked odd and I have never seen anything like it before. It almost looks the post is bent. The guitar is a 1995 model, so I thought it could have been broken.

What do you think of the T-O-M bridge on the Joe Pass? The body, neck and frets on this are in great condition but the electronics and hardware can use some work. I am thinking of changing the pickups and electronics, and replacing the tuners and bridge.

Jim

Thanks Carver.

What do you think of the T-O-M bridge on the Joe Pass? The body' date=' neck and frets on this are in great condition but the electronics and hardware can use some work. I am thinking of changing the pickups and electronics, and replacing the tuners and bridge.

Jim[/quote']

Well my JPs a 95 as well and both posts are tilted.

You can get a allen key (1.5mm) or maybe it's a 2mm (and rethread the

posts straight, if it bothers you. I didn't bother with mine, but had to get an allen key

to thread the posts into the new GFS t-o-m. I like the t-o-m because the strings are a bit brighter

sounding and you can do individual intonation adjustments on each string..rather than have to

move the bridge back and forth.

I will tell you that I was pretty nonplussed to discover the bridge was angled back on the used one I bought, so I'd fix it if I were you...as I pointed out above, it was relatively simple...think of it this way, have you ever seen another floating bridge angled back like that?

I will tell you that I was pretty nonplussed to discover the bridge was angled back on the used one I bought' date=' so I'd fix it if I were you...as I pointed out above, it was relatively simple...think of it this way, have you ever seen another floating bridge angled back like that? [/quote']

I ended up pulling the eBay auction. I am concerned that a buyer would take one look at it and think it was damage I did not describe.

Jim

Archived