Gibson Brands Forums

es295 hardware upgrade?

ballynally

bought the es295 a year ago.also purchased gibson pups, controls etc.Guitartech didn't have time to put in replacements yet.But now i'm used to the sound i get through my Fender Vibroverb, tweaking the sound through my Zoom effects, cutting out some boxey frequencies from my alnico speakers. I'm fairly happy with the sound.Due to the fact that the Gibson pots and switches have different sizes, and the es295 hardware is not easy to put in, do you think the Gibson pups and/or controls will sound much better ? In other words:should i bother?

It sounds like you answered your own question...if you like how it sounds, why change it?

Several people on this forum have stated that the Epiphone P-90s are great pickups that don't need to be upgraded. I wouldn't know...the guy who sold me my Gold Top put Lindy Fralin P-90s in the guitar. Not that I'm complaining, you understand....

Do the knobs work good? Even response, no crackle?

Due to the fact that the Gibson pots and switches have different sizes' date=' and the es295 hardware is not easy to put in, do you think the Gibson pups and/or controls will sound much better ? In other words:should i bother?[/quote']

Oh yes. Definitely. If you like the way it sounds now, you'll lurve it with Gibson PUs. Truth be told, the stock pickups aren't horrible, since they don't install the Classic Hot pickup in those guitars; but nonetheless the Gibson units will be even better, clearer in tone and with better overall definition. As to the size differences on Gibson pots/switches, a quick swipe with a round file fixes that in a jif.

A proper re-wiring job isn't going to hurt either; IMO the Epis have way too many fiddly connectors and junk in the wiring to be good.

Archived