Gibson Brands Forums

what gauge to go for?

Latem

Anyone know what's the gauge of stock strings that come with Epiphone Les Paul Sepcial II?

My first string (string #1) just broke on me, and I have no idea what gauge to go for when I purchase new strings. I'd like to match what I have now (original strings) for now at least since I'm still learning and gotten used to it. But if I have to I can get a new different set of different gauge. In general I'm more interested in playing some heavier rock I guess, ex of some riffs i've been trying to learn: by Porcupine Tree, Tool, Rammstein, Anathema. If you get the picture. Any suggestion of what actual specific strings I should get (actual product name, brand + gauge) is welcome too. Thanks!

Anyone know what's the gauge of stock strings that come with Epiphone Les Paul Sepcial II?

My first string (string #1) just broke on me' date=' and I have no idea what gauge to go for when I purchase new strings. I'd like to match what I have now (original strings) for now at least since I'm still learning and gotten used to it. But if I have to I can get a new different set of different gauge. In general I'm more interested in playing some heavier rock I guess, ex of some riffs i've been trying to learn: by Porcupine Tree, Tool, Rammstein, Anathema. If you get the picture. Any suggestion of what actual specific strings I should get (actual product name, brand + gauge) is welcome too. Thanks!

[/quote'] Try Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10 gauge, that's what i use on my Epi. Les Paul Standard Plus

I'm not sure what they came with, put they were probably 10-46. Or possibly 9s. I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46 and find them to sound just fine. I have a G400 and a Epi SG JR. that both have them on. But try out some different brands and see what you like. Different guages too.

Fwiw, EB regular Slinkys on my LP std+ as well .....dunno what came oem, but they feel about the same .... 10-46 is a good all around set, imho..... try a couple brands over time and use what you like best. I've used Slinkys since the '70's :D

I use Ernie Ball Regular 10' date=' 13, 17, 26, 36, 46.

I think all Epi Les Pauls come with 10...46, or?

[/quote']

I'm not sure....they sure FEEL like that.

But in any case, the strings are the first thing to go as soon as I get the guitar home. (I also use the Ernie Balls on all my electrics.)

I also use a .010 to .046 unless I'm detuning, then it's the Power or Beefy Slinkies fer me!

Yeah, my Epi's and Gibby's have 10's....the Fender's I seem to go back and forth with...9's, then 10's then

back to 9's. Not sure why, maybe the longer scale...The Strat, especially, seems to like 9's or a hybrid (9-46)

that I make up, myself.

But, the Epi's love 10's! I like the "Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom," Ernie Ball sets, too...especially on the "Lester's!"

CB

I've been using LTHB sets for years... originally Dean Markleys but I like the D'Addarios too. Lately I've been liking the GHS Eric Johnson nickel rocker 10-50 set for my Fenders, with the rollerwound strings. They just seem to go real well on a Strat.

I use Gibson L-5's on all my electrics...I love the wound third... Pure Nickle.. gauge's are 10-13-18-26-36-46... takes awhile to get used of bending the third but now a plain thirds feel like a wet noodle to me ...the G lasts alot longer too.. every other brand I've tried the plain G always sounds dead after a short time..

Peace!

Kenny :--~~~~

10-46, but if you are used to 9's, they will feel too heavy. Give them a couple of weeks and play hard until you build some finger strength and you will never go back.

I tried an .011 1st and a .014 2nd string last week on my LP and took them off. I just wanted to see if I could bend them tuned to standard pitch. It felt too much like bending an acoustic, so I went back to the .010 and the .013. I play my acoustic several times a week just to keep my fingers strong and I can easily bend 10's to a 3rd and 5th and hold the vibrato. It was a real strain to bend a standard tuned .011 to a 3rd.

Archived